It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

All, this is my first post here. I recently made the decision to get off subs. I was taking regular opiates (hydrocodone, methadone, anything I could get my hands on) and eventually subs for about 10 years. I purposely kept my sub dose down to 2-4mg/day. Anyway, I recently got off of them. It wasn't my first time so I knew what to expect, or thought I did anyhow.

My primary issue at this point is that I am also either pre-diabetic, or a full fledged type 2. Ever since I've given up the subs, my blood glucose readings have been sky high. I'd always been able to to control it with just diet and exercise. Not now. My research gives me a pretty good educated guess that this is due to all the excess adrenaline/stress in my system. It apparently supplies energy to the body for the fight or flight response.

My question, how long will this excess adrenaline be in my system? It's not healthy to allow my sugar to stay this high. I have much incentive to get this under control. I'm basically on a zero carb diet with exercise, fighting for my life. thanks, in advance for your help. good to be here on the forums.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm no doctor, so I don't really have an answer to your questions, but wanted to welcome you to our forum. Hopefully our Dr. Junig will see this post, and have an answer for you. Have you spoken to your doctor about your concerns?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the response. Maybe I could pose the question this way: yesterday was my one month clean date. For most of my time on subs, I was only taking about 1mg/day, except the last month where it went up to 2-4mg. My resting heart rate is still 100-110bpm, well above average. How long until my heart rate returns to more normal levels? I've heard of peoples symptoms continuing for 6months or more. Can that really be the case for me and my dosage? Most of my other symptoms are gone, save the sneezing. Thanks, again, for your help, gang.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Anyone know of a more useful forum, then?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations on your one month clean! That's fantastic!
I actually had that symptom just about every single time I was in wd. I'm not sure how long that will hang on, it sounds like anxiety. Everyone is different, but I've heard some say they have one or two little symptons hang on for over a month after quitting suboxone. For me, it was horrible anxiety. I'd get such weird intense butterflies in my stomach that it kinda hurt, and my heart rate was over 100 sitting down, and my blood pressure was sky high. If that's the case for you to, I'd say speak with your doctor, as I don't think it can be good for you at all for your BP and heart rate to stay that high all the time. Have you ever taken clonidine? Is a blood pressure medication often prescribed as a detoxification comfort med, that many people say is great a relieving this symptom, as it lowers the BP.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey, thanks for the lift! I guess it's been 5 weeks clean today. Feels good to say that. I still have some fatigue issues. But with all this extra adrenaline in my system, it makes for a weird mix!

To be clear, my blood pressure is perfect. It's my glucose levels (blood sugar) that is out of whack. I believe it's because the adrenaline in my system. I also believe that the best indicator of this is my resting heart rate being high and sleep patterns disrupted.

I've never had a doctor for suboxone nor diabetes. My options did not allow it. That may change depending on the severity of things to come.

Just hoping for a story of: "yeah that happened to me too."

Thanks, again. I sincerely appreciate the response.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Youre post attracted my attention because I have dx'ed as "prediabetic" with HA1C's at 5.9 and that's ON sub. Ive been off only 8 days, my diet is not that terrible, Ive become inactive the last 2 yrs on Sub and in about 3 months I ant to be retested. It scares me. My mom was dx'ed w diabetes, had her foot cut off and a yr later dead from Pancreatic cancer :( Good luck to you, that's awesome...5 weeks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah something definitively changed for me when detoxing. I was always able to keep my sugar levels in check with diet and exercise. Not true since getting clean. My sugar hovers anywhere from 200-300 and I'm dehydrated again. I have an appt with a dr tomorrow but am afraid he might misdiagnose me as type 1 with all this nonsense going on w my body. It's been a very weird couple months in this body, to say the least. That probably goes without saying, though, and is the understatement of the day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh and those sugar levels were after going a month without eating a carb. Steak, eggs, bacon, etc. plus exercise every day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi AEM, I got a thorough physical around the time I jumped late in June, with extensive blood work. My physician told me that I'm in the pre-diabetic range, which he says is definitely linked to long-term opiate use (suppressed adrenal function IIRC -- though I might have this wrong, wonky memory is another one of my long term opiates symptoms, lol).

He said that things should get better naturally, as my body restores itself during my detox, but he also urged me to be far more careful about my diet, even though I was eating well at the time anyways (few process foods, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, etc).

He gave me a list of foods that are especially good for people like us. I'll be getting follow up bloodwork in a few weeks, interested to see the results.

-- ji

AntiEvrythingman wrote:
All, this is my first post here. I recently made the decision to get off subs. I was taking regular opiates (hydrocodone, methadone, anything I could get my hands on) and eventually subs for about 10 years. I purposely kept my sub dose down to 2-4mg/day. Anyway, I recently got off of them. It wasn't my first time so I knew what to expect, or thought I did anyhow.

My primary issue at this point is that I am also either pre-diabetic, or a full fledged type 2. Ever since I've given up the subs, my blood glucose readings have been sky high. I'd always been able to to control it with just diet and exercise. Not now. My research gives me a pretty good educated guess that this is due to all the excess adrenaline/stress in my system. It apparently supplies energy to the body for the fight or flight response.

My question, how long will this excess adrenaline be in my system? It's not healthy to allow my sugar to stay this high. I have much incentive to get this under control. I'm basically on a zero carb diet with exercise, fighting for my life. thanks, in advance for your help. good to be here on the forums.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Anti...were you diabetic before opiates? I guess that's the question. I never had an issue until last 2 HA1C' were done. I think if you were diabetic your body is going haywire and struggling to normalize? Seems we all go through it to an extent. I don't have a glucose monitor but maybe i'll check mine at work tomorrow. Its one thing I've feared doing...along with a lot of other stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Anti and icon...hows everything going? I revisited this post because now that Im 60 days clean and STILL struggling with lack of energy and some other symptoms I chalk up to possible diabetes (thirst, blurred vision, uncontrollable hunger and cravings) and maybe crossing the "pre diabetic" line, I have checked my glucose and I have high readings as well and also for once in my life, elevated BP. I have gained 20 pounds, embarrassed to say and have never felt so awful. I was wondering if you guys had an update?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

MelissaCNA,

GRATS! 60 days is an accomplishment. Be proud.

It's different for anyone, but I'd say at 60 days, I could still feel a lack of energy, and did so for days beyond that.

You mention your glucose levels. I'm not super educated in that, but have you talked to a doctor? Be frank about going through withdrawals and where you stand.

Otherwise, keep it up. I'm somewhere around 270 days clean.

Probiotics are pretty awesome for the digestive system too.