It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Observed urine
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So my psychiatrist (& Suboxone prescriber) moved from private practice to a clinic, and I went with her. For those of you who don’t know me I was on Suboxone maintenance for 3 years, going off in 2013. I recently went back on a very low dose basically for relapse prevention.

So for the first time EVER I was asked to give an observed urine. I didn’t have to go so it turned into a long, embarrassing event. I have been out of active addiction for almost 8 years. And to have to do this now....? It’s “clinic policy”. I really feel like I am being put through a lot just to be on 2-3mg/day. I really feel like going off of it, but why should I have to stop taking medication that is helping me just because clinics don’t treat people as individuals? They just label everyone “addict” and everyone is suspect.

When I went to fill my prescription after that experience, I was shopping around the pharmacy while waiting, and I remembered someone here on the forum saying that where she was the Suboxone patients were asked not to shop in the pharmacy. (I think it was in Australia where people has to go to the pharmacy daily for dosing). I just feel sad about all this. I‘m tired of it.

Post subject: Re: Observed urine
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:30 pm 

Hello LIlly, yes, the clinic life is much much different then office visits. It is the state laws that are pushing these rules. Why? because of diversion. sorry you went though it. I did my first one just this year. Feeling like a distrusted number is a shame for us all who are doing this the right way....razor59

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Razor, thanks for the compassionate reply - it helps. After I posted I got a call from the clinic about not being in compliance with the counseling. So, yeah, I think I’m done. I’m going to start tapering this week.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:19 am 

Hey Lilly!

It can get tough! But I know no different because I started out going to a clinic and it has been my only point of comparison. I could only imagine how someone not familiar with how clinics are compared to a private doctor, dislike it. It is a lot more strict and it’s counseling counseling counseling and urine screen urine screen urine screen! And my personal favorite is waiting waiting waiting (that’s my most dreaded part).

I don’t mind it as much because I’m used to it. I also have learned a lot by interacting with the others because I honestly understand why there’s all these rules. You wouldn’t believe what ppl try to do to get away with stuff.... well I’m sure u would believe it lol because we’re all addicts plus ur job gives u a huge insight. There’s ppl trying to cheat the rules constantly.

My clinic didn’t start out watching ppl do their urine screen until ppl started trying to fake their drug screen. The toilet got totally clogged up once because someone literally flushed a cup down it that was holding fake pee. Why they didn’t just take it bk out with them is beyond me. I have even been talking to someone outside while smoking and see white stuff outlining their nostrils. He had no clue it was there. Gosh I could go on and on. So I understand the rules more but I also understand that it puts everyone in the same category and making the ppl who are trustworthy and never broke a rule in 6 years, treated like a new patient that can’t be trusted. That part is unfair.

After all the years I’ve been at my clinic, things have somewhat changed for me and I do believe they treat me with more trust now but I do understand how someone who’s been in recovery for years (like u) wouldn’t be happy with being treated the same way a new patient is that was just in active addiction a week ago. Imo we have proven that we’re there for the right reasons :) totally get it Lilly! I hate to see u stop ur treatment though!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I appreciate your support the time you took to write that reply. I do get it. I really do. I worked at 2 methadone clinics and I understand all the reasons. But I’m not quitting because it’s unfair - I just can’t do it. The clinic is about 45 minutes from work. I took the day off yesterday and spent almost half the day there and at the pharmacy (I know you have to go through this and worse). I can’t take a day off every month. But the real kicker is that I have to pay out of pocket for every doctor visit, every lab and every counseling visit.

*I’m editing this about an hour later. I just tried calling 3 other Suboxone doctors who are closer without much luck. I was able to leave a message for one of them, so maybe he’ll call me back.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:51 am 

I totally get it too Lilly. I get really frustrated a lot. I’ve literally had to wait 6 hours before just to see the doctor each month. Sometimes I get sympathy and they’ll push me through quicker but for years I’ve had to wait hours upon hours to just see the doctor and that is crazy.

Good luck finding a new doctor!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So of the three doctors offices I called, one always has an answering machine on, one said their Suboxone doctor is no longer with the practice, and one called back. They said they don’t take insurance and the initial visit is $450. Then I would have to see the doctor weekly as a new patient.

I guess I have to rethink the idea of going to a private practice that is located closer to me - because wherever I go I’m going to be starting out as a new patient and pay for weekly visits. So, if anything, it’s actually going to cost me MORE in the short run.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:30 pm 

That is so crappy Lilly. All you wanted to do is maintain a small dose to improve your quality of life. But nooooo, it can't be done w/o you being either rich or humiliated.

Once, when in the hospital for a surgery years ago, the nurse said she had to watch me pee to make sure I did it. It had to do with a catheter and getting back to normal. Just couldn't do it with her in the room. A shy bladder they call it and no matter how bad a person has to go they just can't.

Don't give up calling other doctors. There just may be one you haven't found yet. I truly hope you find a good one soon. Hate to see you go through another w/d that isn't warranted.