It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I find searching the web lots of advice and recommendations regarding nutrition, vitamins and minerals, and various supplements like fish oil, adrenal formulas, herbs, etc. for people detoxing off methadone and other opiates, but cant find much of anything for people on Buprenorphine/Suboxone therapy. Are there any vitamin/mineral or other deficiency issues to be aware of, and supplement with, when one is on Buprenorphine short term or long?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Interesting question Kloud. I'm not aware of any nutritional issues that are specific to buprenorphine. The only thing that I have seen reported over and over again has been issues with men and their testosterone levels. But, this is attributed to chronic use of ANY opiates.

I would guess that whatever you have found on the net that is beneficial to individuals who are taking any other type of opiate would be equally valuable for those of us on buprenorphine maintenance.

How about it Subdoc?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah I was reading an essay by a Dr. online today regarding specifically detoxing off methadone, and was especially interested in the adrenal supplement, milk thistle, and high dose vitamin C he uses with his patients in detoxing. With bupe we are not fully detoxing, so can these kinds of supplements still be beneficial to us, or actually do more harm than good? Here is a clip from the article.

*Vitamin C: 2000-3000 mg per day divided doses… ·

*Reduced L-Glutathione 300mg per day: Helps liver detox metabolites of methadone…Detoxing agents can be found in many products…most in combinations… ·

*Adrenal Support: Research has shown that methadone, and drug use in general, has profound effects on the adrenal glands. In fact, research shows that there is a profound negative effect by methadone on the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. This is why those that withdraw from methadone have protracted fatigue and problems with anxiety and insomnia. I often use freeze dried adrenal extracts in treatment with fairly good results. You’ll find these products listed under names such as Adrenal Plus, or Adrenplus…the starting dose is around 1000 mg per day in split doses. ·

*Milk Thistle with alpha-Lipoic Acid is one combination that I use extensively---for liver repair and detoxification…1200 to 1500 mg of milk thistle and 400 mg of lipoic acid per day in split doses