It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Nursing and Suboxone
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:02 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Can a person who is prescribed suboxone get liscensed as a nurse? Does it vary by state? I am particularly talking about the state of South Carolina. I called the nursing board and did not get a difinitive answer. They said it's up to your employer if your already a nurse. For people who aren't a nurse yet and are taking sub then it's on a case by case basis. If prescribed sub as an off label use for pain management then can someone get liscensed as a nurse? If I started seeing a pain management doctor instead of phsychiatrist then could I get liscensed. I don't think you can for use of opiate dependent but I'm not sure about pain management. Does anyone know the answer to this question for the state of South Carolina? Again the board said its case by case and I don't really understand what that means and the guidelines for it.

Post subject: Re: Nursing and Suboxone
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Goodness- you got my attention! I removed the repetative posts; we try to post in just one thread at a time, because otherwise we end up with a discussion spread over several topics, rather than a discussion focused in one place.

I've had nurses as patients in your position, and the answer to your question is not something anyone can say for sure-- because as they said to you, it is a 'case by case' call. Most nurses, when getting licensed, are asked the question 'do you suffer from an illness that has the potential to impair your ability to treat patients'-- or something along that line. Boards generally expect people with substance problems to answer 'yes'. When I faced that question as a physician 20 years ago I said 'no', taking a cue from then-President Clinton, who was arguing that the answer to whether he is having a sexual relationship with an intern depends on 'what the definition of 'is' is.' I figured that since my addiction was in remission for a few years after going to AA religiously, that I no longer had something that could impair my abilities. When I relapsed a few years later, they were not amused by my omission.

If you are treated with buprenorphine products for pain, I would argue that you have no impairment. Zero. Some idiot may argue that the drug MIGHT affect your mu receptors in some tiny way and have an impact on you, but whatever it does is not anywhere near as impairing as, for example, missing an hour of sleep, or missing a cup of coffee that morning.

Addiction is a different issue, because when it is active, we change our behaviors and become much more self-centered. So a history of addiction, especially to opioids or benzos, could cause problems while getting licensed. If you have a history of a single problem, went through treatment, and had no legal problems, you will likely be OK. But if you stole from an employer (drugs or cash), and/or had legal chargers, especially felonies, you will have more problems.

I tried to help a person in a different state get licensed, but the doc he was seeing in that state wasn't willing to help him. The opinion of your own doctor, along with the people who make decisions for the board about impaired professionals, are the people who will likely make the call.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Love,
Welcome here!
IDK, oh, means I don't know. We've had working nurses post here that are on suboxone. Some posters say to never report it. It seems to vary by state. I say that bc the Dr. that own this site, Dr Junig, aka suboxdoc is in Wisc. and another that stops in, docm2 from Minn, has commented on this.

I'm responding bc of all your posts which I see have been consolidated. I least want you to know you've been heard and will be heard. You matter here.

Imo, you'll need someone in nursing -- in SC, to hopefully respond. Maybe your nursing board said case by case bc to them it might matter what is your function. for ex. if you dispense opiates in any way or the opposite, are you in administration where it matters much less... Try the search function at the top. put in nursing and then search South Carolina and see if anything comes up from prior posters. Also try subxoxdoc and later docm2 in the author field. You''ll have to pick thru the posts. I remember docm2 stating Minn rules.

As to your question of addiction diagnosis or pain diagnosis, imo, yes a pain diagnosis is far better. That said, imo buprenorphine for pain is more the low doses found in the pain products Belbuca and Butrans. Suboxone for pain carries the addiction stigma so be aware....

Can you tell us a little more? Are you applying for your first nursing job and are on sub, a wonder med for most? !!! This is a great site and hopefully you are going thru it and reading lots! Wishing you my best, Pelican

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh!! I replied same time almost as Dr. Junig, the owner of this site . So happy he responded. He's the BEST!! ever! Pelican