It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just a funny little story: I was at my bi-monthly Suboxone doctor appointment when they said they needed to take a blood sample to check my liver functions. After a few moments looking around my nurse finally said she'd found a vein to use, (I've always been a 'hard stick', which is probably a blessing in disguise since it would have been way too difficult to even try IV drugs so I always stayed away from that aspect of addiction that a lot of people end up doing), and she got me ready and everything was fine until she starts complaining about how slow my blood is moving. I look down and say; "Maybe it has something to do with the turniqutte still being on me?" She didn't answer, just took it off and said, "Well, I give up. We'll have to try again next time!" and before that, when she was looking at my arms I offered to do the make-a-fist thing and she tells me they don't do that anymore, but my doctor was like; "Since when?"

Anyway, it was kind of funny. :)

My sweet girls; Hermione & Ginny. My little adopted fur-babies since summer 2013! ^__^

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:14 am 

I too have had problems with my bi-yearly bloodwork panel. Being a blood donor for the Red Cross and also with Kaiser, my veins look good but there is a lot of scar tissue so it will sometimes flow slowly like yours did. At least mine didn't give up.

Haven't seen you in a while Skayda. Where you been hiding?

r

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:27 am 

Are we allowed to give blood if we're on buprenorphine? I was under the impression that I could no longer donate. :?:

My blood type, O negative, is the universal donation blood type, so my blood is sought after! I would like to still donate if I can.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[quoteAre we allowed to give blood if we're on buprenorphine? I was under the impression that I could no longer donate][/quote]
I think it has to do more with risk of Hepatitis or HIV. Due to the behaviors some engaged in before starting MAT, rather than the medication itself.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:05 am 

Right!

Except that I don't have any of those risk factors. The major thing I did was chew my oxycodone. No nostrils, no needles. But will they assume that I have a risky history because I'm on sub? Would it be unethical to not tell them what medications I'm on?

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I gave up giving blood several years ago. Had been deployed to an area that couldn't give blood for a year, then was on antimalarial medication which also precluded donating. Then a needle stick at work. Would wait a couple of hours each time before being thanked for coming but we need to 'defer' your donation. Not even a consolation cookie the last time.
If asked I would disclose. In your case since no risky behaviors associated it could be 'for chronic pain,' and no further disclosure is needed.
They have loosened up a bit over the last couple years as their testing of blood has improved.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:56 pm 

DOCM is correct. The Red Cross has loosened up its rules regarding gays and other risky behaviors. Only because donations are way down.

They won't let me donate anymore due to having cancer. I never asked about the Suboxone. That's a good question Amy. But I do think I'm done with giving blood. Been to Africa and also took the anti malaria drug. Add that to the C, and they say no thanks.

t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just as an FYI the tourniquet SHOULD be left IN PLACE to obtain a blood sample. Constricting the Venus return helps to get the blood. You may be confusing this with an IV line where in order to get fluid and meds to flow into the rest of the body the tourniquet can't be on as it stops the fluid from FLOWING IN. When FLOWING OUT it helps to have it in place. Have not heard making a fist is no longer done. I'm with your doc on that one, but the. Nurse was correct in leaving the tourniquet in place.