It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: nurse Jackie
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Anyone watch this? Seems to be first show to even tackle the issue...

Post subject: Re: nurse Jackie
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:58 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Love that show! Just watched season five on dvd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Ive seen a few episodes and aside from a few things being portrayed incorrectly (dumping out a capsule full of beads and snorting the whole beads without crushing haha) its a good representation. I saw a free episode on audience channel the other day where she was going to NA/AA and supposedly clean and everyone believed her. Spoilers ahead just in case you havent seen this episode and don't want it ruined.

. She was always going to the gym and everyone said she seemed like a different person every time she got back from there and she was buying pills from a lady who worked there and coming back high everyday. They totally nailed that feeling of how invincible you feel when you come back to work or wherever high and you are in the best most productive mood ever. I loved how her bf would stop by the gym and when she was high she'd act so happy to see him and then how they contrasted that perfect when she showed up to the gym the next time and the girl she was buying from was gone and a lady said something like "yeah shes gone I can't believe it she got busted selling pills here" and the look of horror/anguish on jackies face as it sinks in and then how she is just like a zombie when her bf shows up. Losing your only solid connection when you are strung out is one of the worst feelings I've ever felt, like the rug is just pulled right out from under you.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I've loved the show and followed it since the beginning when my mother introduced me to it. Been following the new season, and I really hope it's a good one since these premium series things can go on great for a while and then quickly slide downhill (re: californication). But I gotta say, even though it sounds awful, its really exciting that Jackie's using again, because she'll lie and lie and build up these secrets that creates such elaborate and great storylines and they can still maintain the standard of the show because unlike a lot of others like true blood or dexter where they added too many new characters to manage amongst too many storylines giving time to ones that a person may find less interesting than others, they haven't inflicted too much change upon the general setting and number of people to include in plots. Although I do miss dr o'hara and it's not the same without her but at least they have the sponsor woman to fill that best-bud-Jackie's-accountable-to void. So I have high hopes and I'm finally gonna have on demand back soon when I move to the beach for the summer so that's gonna be great :)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:21 pm 

Theres a good build up on the show this year.
Shits going to hit the fan, and in all directions. Lol
Relapsing Jackie is more fun,...yup..raz...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I really like the show also, but I have a question? maybe it's because I'm early in recovery, but does/ has anyone else ever found it to feel a bit triggering at times...... just me?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:15 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Nah your not completely alone because I get the same feelings sometimes but nurse jackie shows enough of the terrible side of addiction to counteract romanticizing too much as you are reminded of the hell of going through it day after day. Similar to The Basketball Diaries I don't to myself "damn do I miss that shit" when Im watching that movie.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

well glad to know it's not just me yea, it doesnt make the life of an opioid addict seem at all glamorous, or like you said, leave me going " damn, wish I could mess up my whole life again!" I can't quite put my finger on it, just sometimes feel like an adrenaline thing going on during using scenes, or lies that she tells that are nearly identical to ones I did, etc. definitely, the closest to a real portrayal of what it's like that I've seen on t.v.. Glad to see it portrayed more accurately than other shows I've seen. the more inaccurate portrayals of addiction I've seen I think help contribute to society's ignorance about addiction, ie; addict has some epiphany about his/ her problem and " decides" to change, addict goes through a few mins of withdrawal, goes to rehab, comes out " fixed/cured". People actually think that twenty- eight days will cure someone of addiction. some commercials for rehabs even guarantee it!
this show doesn't sugar coat it, and shows the REAL emotions, lies, vicious cycle nature of the disease! Maybe it just gets a bit too familiar/ uncomfortable hmmmm?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:17 pm 

Jackie just asked for suboxone!!!! Lolhope he gets it for ner and she does well!!!!lol

razor.....

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I know and I was really happy at first seeing the way it was handled, pretty neutral. Jackie described it as something to help with cravings that's less addictive than methadone (not that I'm bashing methadone), doesn't exactly cover what this med means but fair. But other than that, I'm confused. Knowing nurse jackie they won't drop the storyline, it'll come back, but it's weird cuz she used painkillers later that day and then had her word vomit session with her cop bf which btw was amazing, Edie falco is an amazing actress I mean it totally captured a whole new demeanor for her that was obvious but realistic. But then she detoxes, and uses again so I'm not sure what it means. I'm guessing that she basically scammed Eddie into getting her the meds, because it's not like that doesn't happen. But still, clarification needed