It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Numb Hands?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:27 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

For the past 2 weeks or so, I wake up with major numbness and tingling in my hands.
Sometimes it's both hands, but it's always my left hand, and the left is always worse.
I can't move my left hand much and can't really use it (lifting the milk or unscrewing the cap).
It takes over an hour before I start to get the feeling back in my hands.

I'm getting close to the 3 month mark on sub, by the way, and this is new (started a 8mg, dropped 6mg). I'm pretty sure it's sub related because my left hand used to be numb waking up after a codeine sleep, or sometimes during withdrawal.

Anyone else have numbness / tingling in their hands or feet?

Post subject: Re: Numb Hands?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi TBW,

Sorry to hear about your problems. That has to be scary and very troubling and wish I had an answer for you. I just have never heard of sub causing that particular problem. Not saying it can't be the cause, just never heard of anyone complaining of that. Perhaps a trip to the doctor is in order to hopefully find the cause?

Doesn't seem to me that it could be the cause if you have been on the sub for about 3 months and this issue is happening now? I have heard of some people having problems in their feet from sub use, but not in the hands.

I think I would have the doctor perform some blood work and any other tests needed to find the cause.

Good luck and hope you get some answers real soon. Please let us know any updates you may have. Hope you feel better real soon.

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have the exact same problem. Sometimes it's both hands but mainly in my left hand. I had a MRI last month and discovered that I have a bulging disc in my neck. I also have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. My Dr says it's probably a combination of the two. I am going to try steroid injections in my neck this week and hope to get some relief. I wish you the best of luck in resolving this issue.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:25 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been experiencing the same exact thing! I brought it up to my doc and he didn't think that it was related to the subs. I am planing on going to see my chiropractor and see if it could be anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:25 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Formerlylynn45 wrote:
I have the exact same problem. Sometimes it's both hands but mainly in my left hand. I had a MRI last month and discovered that I have a bulging disc in my neck. I also have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. My Dr says it's probably a combination of the two. I am going to try steroid injections in my neck this week and hope to get some relief. I wish you the best of luck in resolving this issue.

I wondered if it was the result of a pinched nerve or something. After reading your post, I bet it's a flare up of some of the problems that caused me to seek out pain meds in the first place, which in part is a herniated disc in my neck, disc slippage in the lumbar region. Suboxone relieved my pain well enough that I probably over did something.

The last thing I want is another MRI and bills and more doctor appointments for something they can't do much for.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Merry Christmas, first of all, just wanted to chime in and say I have the exact same numb tingling feeling in my hands since beginning sub. It's not bothering me tho, considering how I'd feel without the suboxone. Just wanted to let you know. Don't know if it's related or not.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

lizzieshug wrote:
Merry Christmas, first of all, just wanted to chime in and say I have the exact same numb tingling feeling in my hands since beginning sub. It's not bothering me tho, considering how I'd feel without the suboxone. Just wanted to let you know. Don't know if it's related or not.

This is exactly the kind of thing I hear from other sources, that make me think it's more than a coincidence that so many on sub experience numbness in our extremities. Numbness seems like a reasonable side effect for a med like sub.
I'm back to being pretty convinced that the numbness is a sub side effect, and It's a side effect I can live with.

What I don't understand is why it seems like sub doctors are unwilling to accept that certain things could be side effects. They act like sub is side effect free. I've had back and neck problems for decades, and never once had numbness or tingling in my hands. I
For now, I'll take a numb left hand if it means staying sober.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am experiencing this too. The numbness is mainly in my middle finger of my right hand, though I have it in my left hand index and middle finger at times. It has to be either the buprenorphine or the narcan. If it's the narcan, just switching to subutex might be an answer. If it's the buprenorphine I'm screwed. I've been on methadone in the past and would really prefer to make something else work, but suboxone isn't working for me, at all. Besides this hand numbness, I'm awoke once or twice a night with pain in my right hand. I never had anything like this before and my issues with my spine are in L5, S1.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I had two sessions of cortisone injections in my neck (2 weeks apart). I have to say it did help with some of my neck pain, it did not stop the numbness. I've found sleeping on the other side of my bed and allowing my hand to dangle off the bed decreases the numbness quite a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:52 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

have the same problem and i really believe its opioid related because when i used to use a lot of opana all day and then go to bed i would wake up with reallly stiff hands and could barely make a fist, now that ive been on sub, starting about a month after induction til now 4 months after induction ive had both hands up to the elbows fall asleep if i lay on them for any amount of time or raise my arms above my head and a tendonitis-like numbness/pain at all times in my forearms/elbows....very strange , but im in the same boat as all of you

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I wake up every morning and both my hands are numb. Sometimes my legs. One time I woke up and got out of bed and hit the floor because my left leg wouldn't work. I landed on my ankle and it swelled up and turned purple. Hurt like hell. I been on subs for like 2 years. It hasn't always done this but recently maybe within the last 6 months. It really freaks me out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The numbness I'm having in my right hand has spread to my left and the pain at night continues. I also have had terrible depression and irritability since being on suboxone. I know that side effects are different for different people and am glad that this drug has been a workable source of relief for so many people. But at this point I'd rather be on methadone which is a far from perfect solution also, but I know it to be more tolerable than this. I have a friend who is a professor of anesthesiology and was on narcan as a part of a professional compliance program. He advised to not be on narcan for long and said that it affects our endogenous opiate system as well as the opiates we were abusing, meaning it messes with our internal and perfectly natural feel good neurotransmitter system. His own experience mirrored my own. I am thankful that this allowed me to interupt my drug abuse and take time to find help, but it's time. I'm tapering now on my own.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have tapered myself down from 12mgs a day to 6mgs. The numbness has improved, but hasn't gonna away completely. I will continue my taper until I'm down as low as possible. I definitely think the Sub has something to do with all the numbness, but not completely to blame.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:42 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I just found this forum for Suboxone and im so happy I did. I was looking up on line if Subs has anything to do with my hands and sometimes feet going numb when iv been laying down or a while. Iv been on only 2mg per day for 6 years. Very small dosage but well needed. Soon as I first got on it, after about a month, I noticed at night while sleeping my hands would get really numb. But it eventually went away soon after. Now 6 years later im having the same problem but much more intense. Its every night or every time im laying down. But this time it's been for about 5 monthes straight. Also the first year that i started suboxone i had to go to group meetings once a month and their were a few other ppl there too that complained of the same thing. I am 100% convinced after seeing these posts on here and also hearing from others in my group meetings that it is Def from Sub's. Like most others it's always worse in my left hand, which is very curious to me. And alsways when I'm lying down with my arms bent. I constantly have to straighten out my arms during the night for it not to happen. Im Hoping its not causing any kind of nerve damage. The ? I always ask myself is why when my arms are straight while laying down...does it not happen?? Does anyone else notice this?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:37 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

It's so weird reading this. My feet became almost lifeless whenever I woke up. My left hand to my elbow would take at-least 10 minutes to gain strength. My finger tips would also feel tingly for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Did you consult your doctor about this? What was the doctor said?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know its been a while since the initial conversation began but just thought I would let you know that I experience numbness of my hands and arms sometimes when I wake up and I sit on the floor with my legs crossed watching tellie at night and my feet go numb. I know I have poor circulation? I don't eat the most healthiest of foods. But I am sure - for myself anyway - that it's nothing to worry about.
I only started sub a week ago but I am still disoriented - seeing as it has been a while since you all posted on here - any chance anyone could let me know how long the confusion stage lasts for (or if this is normal). I think when anything medically relevant occurs we should all talk to our doctors but its great to know that so many people comment on here about similar issues- this forum is definitely part of my new life therapy!
Manda