It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Now it's my Turn
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:37 pm 

For all the years I've been on this site I've read time and time again about members who have their Suboxone (or Buprenorphine) denied by the insurance company or they only approve a generic, etc.

I have always felt blessed to have the federal version of Blue Cross Blue Shield as my health insurer. Well, this year it all changed. First it was the Ambien. They wanted prior approval from my physician. I just won't take those anymore and only used them for travel anyway. Then came my testosterone gel. Same story. They wanted proof again that I had low T. So I waited 3 weeks without any and had a blood test which showed it was low.

Now today, I go in and give them my regular script of 90 2 mg films. (3 per day = 6 mg's) My insurance only approved 30, or one third of my script. So now I have to get it all straightened out in 10 days or my script will expire.

Things have been going quite well lately so it makes sense that a bump in the road should be expected. But when they mess with someone's Suboxone it has a terrible mental effect. A small panic arose but it went away. What's the worse that can happen? They deny it and I stop. I don't want to right now but if I had to then I guess I would taper and stop.

So today I was just like so many others here going to war with their insurance company. Tomorrow I'll be on the phone until it gets fixed.

Thanks for letting me rant everyone. I hate to complain, but I'm human just like everyone else.

rule

Post subject: Re: Now it's my Turn
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dang, Rule. I can totally relate to the anxiety it must have brought up in you. I'm glad you worked through it, but I'm super happy you came here and talked about it. You know that if you need a little support we got your back. :wink:

I'm optimistic that you won't be forced off your meds. I would imagine it will only take a little work on your part and some cooperation from your sub doctor to get things straightened out. But, it's a good thing you are getting on the ball with it quickly. These insurance companies have a bad habit of dragging their feet on these things.

Let us know how it goes and what you had to do to get it straightened out. It may help someone else in the future! I would bet that most of us are going to have to deal with this at one time or another.

Q

Post subject: Re: Now it's my Turn
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

These things are often little more than hoops easily jumped through. Many people won't take the time so insurance puts these up more and more knowing a portion of people won't even try and they will save money. The success rate for those who do try is pretty high. So keep at it.

The other suggestion I have is have your doc write 23 or 24 8 mg strips and cut them. I have a $2500 annual deducatble that includes meds. Rather than get 15 or 30 two mg strips I get 4 or 8 and cut them My savings are huge! The cost of a 2 mg strip is nearly the same as 8 mg. they likly won't reject 24 strips in a month. The film cutting guide is $9.95. It's a little hassle but worth it if it's your only option. It actually may be your best option.

Hope this idea helps.