It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Not sure what to do
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:19 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have a very strong addiction to hydrocodone, though I do not take a high dose. At most like 28mg a day.

I really want to try to stop. Called two different doctors listed on the suboxone website. Both have over a 5 week wait for NP...

Is there any where to get help quickly? I am motivated and ready to stop.

Post subject: Re: Not sure what to do
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome!

The only way I know of, to get help quickly, is to find a doctor without a waiting list, quickly. You have to keep cold calling doctors. Annoying, I know. I don't know any other magic remedy to getting suboxone treatment, quickly. Perhaps an inpatient rehab facility with open beds?

28mgs.. Have you ever tried to stop on your own? Like really tried? Just curious.If you choose suboxone, please be wary of how much sub you are prescribed. You're likely to get sick off anything more than 2mgs, probably even a lower dose. Just remember, you can always add more if it's not working, but you can't undo a dose that's too high. (You won't die, you'll just feel really sick..)

Post subject: Re: Not sure what to do
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes... I agree.... but you are also one of those people who we all debate over whether you should use buprenorphine at all.

Berddog....I don't know you, so I do not intend to insult you in any way. But I want you to understand a dynamic that docs talk about, and some patients talk about.... so that you understand the attitude that you will be facing, if you DO get an appointment with a buprenorphine certified physician. So read on, for the sake of understanding that attitude--- so that you will be better equipped when you find it. But DON'T take the remarks personally-- as again, I do not know you.

It really stinks to be addicted to opioids-- even low-dose opioids. I was plenty miserable even when I was only addicted to codeine. But as you will see on this forum, many people forget how miserable it was to be actively addicted.... and after going on Suboxone, they eventually resent Suboxone for 'keeping them stuck on Suboxone.' After a couple years, they start talking about how easy it WOULD have been for them to just stop the hydrocodone or codeine or whatever..... completely forgetting that they tried, over and over, and failed before starting Suboxone. To the doctor who started them on Suboxone-- who remembers how miserable they were when they came in for help-- that attitude of blaming the med that saved them is very irritating. It is much more enjoyable to treat a person who is capable of accepting responsibility for his/her own role in things---who is capable of feeling gratitude. Those people do better, after all--- and with limited resources, no doc wants to waste care on someone who won't appreciate it.

So frankly.... I would probably not take you as a patient. Your tolerance right now is low, and if you start buprenorphine, your tolerance will end up higher. There would be a good chance that you would eventually blame ME for helping you-- saying that 'if only it wasn't for Suboxone, you would be completely off opioids.'

Instead of using buprenorphine at this point, I would tell you that you should try meetings.... or maybe residential treatment. The odds for long-term success are poor either way-- but I would want you to do those things, to lessen the chance that you would eventually see buprenorphine as the root cause of your problems. If your opioid dependence is like everyone else's opioid dependence, and you escalate your opioid dose over time until you are taking about twice as much as what you are currently taking, THEN I would consider treating you with Suboxone/buprenorphine. At THAT point, if you started saying 'Suboxone ruined your life', I could tell you to just go back to taking Vicodin, and you will be exactly back where you were, before you met Suboxone.

The risk, of course, is that you will destroy your liver... or go to prison, or overdose, or just be stuck in misery... but I have no more patience for the people who choose to bite the hand the fed them, rather than take responsibility for where they are in life--- and place gratitude where it is due. I'm not saying you ARE one of those people..... but enough people get that way, and the attitude is so annoying, that I do all I can to avoid it.

I'll sometimes have a new patient who says something like 'so.... will I be stuck on Suboxone, then, if I start taking it?' That is my cue to hand back his money, ask him to leave, and move to the next person on the waiting list. It is such a blessing--- to have access to a medication that takes away the obsession to use, with few if any risks or side effects..... but some people do not deserve it.

Just sayin.