It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:12 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi people, I don't know what to do next. I'm a lot like others in here...I have a history of drug addiction and alcoholism. I haven't drank in 10 years but I have had periods of narcotic usage off an on. For the past 3 years, I have been continuously on some form of painkiller medication. Generally, I haven't over-used. Currently, I'm not over-using. I live in a fine line between managing chronic pain and needing medication or living in pain by going without. I suffer from ruptured cervical discs, artificial knee, hip injuries, arthritis severe enough that I have had several operations in my hands, elbows. I ache and hurt...all the time. I'm only 42. Currently, I take a 25 Fentanyl patch and take about 6-8 norco (10/325) per day. I'm in college currently and am on the Dean's List. I don't have trouble functioning unless I slow down the meds and then either the pain of my body or the pain of withdrawal sends me back. I think I would like to be drug free but I don't even know if it's possible or reasonable. I feel a little stuck and unhappy about needing this much medicine because it's always a control battle every day to stay within my prescribed limits. I could easily take 20 norco a day and some days- I wish I could. Can suboxone get me off this stuff? How will I treat my deep aching, sharp neck pains and general disfunction without pain meds?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

alaskanpain wrote:
Hi people, I don't know what to do next. I'm a lot like others in here...I have a history of drug addiction and alcoholism. I haven't drank in 10 years but I have had periods of narcotic usage off an on. For the past 3 years, I have been continuously on some form of painkiller medication. Generally, I haven't over-used. Currently, I'm not over-using. I live in a fine line between managing chronic pain and needing medication or living in pain by going without. I suffer from ruptured cervical discs, artificial knee, hip injuries, arthritis severe enough that I have had several operations in my hands, elbows. I ache and hurt...all the time. I'm only 42. Currently, I take a 25 Fentanyl patch and take about 6-8 norco (10/325) per day. I'm in college currently and am on the Dean's List. I don't have trouble functioning unless I slow down the meds and then either the pain of my body or the pain of withdrawal sends me back. I think I would like to be drug free but I don't even know if it's possible or reasonable. I feel a little stuck and unhappy about needing this much medicine because it's always a control battle every day to stay within my prescribed limits. I could easily take 20 norco a day and some days- I wish I could. Can suboxone get me off this stuff? How will I treat my deep aching, sharp neck pains and general disfunction without pain meds?

Welcome to a great place, and let me be the first to say that you have made some decisions that sound as if you're to a place where you're ready for this change in your life....

I'd say that Suboxone would help you GREATLY...
Even as far as helping with pain, yes, it would in my opinion, do you a world of good. I say that because I'm afflicted with knee problems and by the time I had my arthroscopic knee surgery 8 years ago, I had already put it off too long and arthritis had built up pretty bad in my joint...

To this day, I still deal with the arthritis, but the suboxone that I've been on for 3 years DOES do a great deal to help with that pain...it doesn't exact work in the same manner as opiates..where you just don't care about hurting and can sometimes hurt yourself EVEN MORE...but Suboxone doesn't let you're main focus lie in the pain you feel, and it makes it bearable and levels it off -- or it does FOR ME.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome! I'm sorry for the suffering you endure, chronic pain is a terrible thing with no simple answers. You could benefit from sub but unfortunately the only way to find out is to give it a try. We have many members here that use sub to treat their chronic pain conditions. Some have had great success and pain control while some have not. If you are currently being treated by a pain management Dr they can prescribe sub for the treatment of pain. A Dr only requires the waiver if prescribing sub for addiction.

If you decide to give sub a try and you are not getting the pain control you require you could always go back on your current pain meds. Another option is methadone (which can also be prescribed for pain by your Dr). We have a member here that switched to methadone because sub was not adequately treating his pain and is doing great on methadone.

If there are any more specific questions you have about either don't hesitate to ask. We will help you to the best of our ability.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

In reading and re=reading your post I finally was able to decipher (good ole country term lol) what you were getting at. I am running on slow today so bear with me on this. In reading at first I am thinking that you are on a decent amount of pain medication for the ailments you shared with us, but you said you were not over using them etc...Then I read the below quoted portion :

"I feel a little stuck and unhappy about needing this much medicine because it's always a control battle every day to stay within my prescribed limits. I could easily take 20 norco a day and some days- I wish I could. Can suboxone get me off this stuff? How will I treat my deep aching, sharp neck pains and general disfunction without pain meds?"

And....what I get out of it is that you struggle daily with not taking more than prescribed and what?.....You want to get on something that will not make you not struggle with your daily battle with wanting to abuse or over use your medication? I can see where that could be a battle of the will. I must commend you though on your will power because there is NO WAY I would make it daily without abusing by tripling that daily amount there. But as an addict in your past it would only take a few days of over using that would eventually turn into everyday so I can see why you may be taking on a pro-active approach to find a solution before the problem occurs. Normally one waits for the problems to surface before one looks for the solution but....what would qualify you for this approach is the fact you say you have had addiction problems in the past etc...So you are on the right track especially if this pain you speak of is going to be a long term problem.

Thank God I do not have to deal with daily pain but if I did I would be looking for what would keep my pain manageable and I can only tell you what I have heard from both sub and methadone clients. In my clinic we have just begun prescribing suboxone as it was always a methadone clinic only. If you decide to give methadone a try keep in mind that a methadone clinic can not prescribe methadone just for pain in fact pain can not really be the diagnosis at all. In a clinic setting methadone has to be for substance abuse. So if you decide to go with methadone you will have to elude to the fact you are an addict and need help with opiate addiction. The pain relief you would get from the methadone (and it is very good for pain management) would be like a BONUS. I am not sure in a ORT (opiate replacement therapy) suboxone clinic if they have to document and treat for the addiction and not the pain management is a protocol there too. Somebody like Breezy or Ladytripper, Hatmaker, Romeo or DOAQ may be able to answer that more knowledgeable on suboxone than I am.

I have met quite a few ex suboxone clients and thier usual/common complaint was that the suboxone did not give them the pain relief they were searching for and the methadone seemed better to them for pain management or the other reason was the naxelone in suboxone gave them uncomfortable interactions. But as far as for substance abuse everyone agrees that the suboxone was very good at keeping withdrawal and craving down and/or completely at bay. I myself can not take the suboxone because of interaction and I could not find a doctor that would give me the subutex instead so I went to methadone. (pain was not any issue for me) There are advantage and disadvantages to both as with suboxone I think you have to pay some kind of monthly monitoring doctor fee and then the medicine is so much and the more you need for dosage the more it cost and methadone is has no office fee and whether you take 30 mg or 300 mg its the same price. Methadone you have to go everyday for like 90 days and move up the ladder as far as how often you have to show up at the clinic. I have to go once a week now and because of a few slips in the beginning and one a few months ago I will not get my 2 weeks take homes for another six months which will have taken me over two years to get to twice a month privileges. So that's a PIA but I do believe I have heard that methadone is a better pain reliever than sub. There is a link I am putting here of this exact issue being discussed by our best on this forum so read this thread below just click on the link and it should take you right there. Lots of great post on that thread. It's called Suboxone Vs. Methadone for pain Management?

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3445

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Finally:

I would like to point out (only because of the stigma surrounding suboxone -- but the same stigma exists with methadone) that there is no monthly monitoring fee or anything with the doctors (not the doctors that I've encountered) and I've been to 3 or 4 Suboxone docs in my time on the med.

And too, I only go to my doctor once every THREE months. The only "Fee" I pay is the office visit fee each time I go in for my appt. No other fees are involved -- but the big positive side for suboxone is the ability for it to be given out in an "office" setting when used for ORT therapy. When Methadone is used in ORT therapy, it can only be done in a clinic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

JOHNATHAN IS THAT TRUE? Wonder why all the suboxone Clinics in our area charges a monthly fee at my clinic it is $175.00 a month and at our Myrtle Beach clinic the fee is $250.00.

Below is what I copied off my clinics website.

There is another clinic crossroads at the bottom of this post I got off their website in my area because I was thinking wow how come my clinic charged and do all the others I went on all the area websites to see and they all charge we are the lowest one one of them was $300.00 per month.
DOES ANYONE ELSE'S CLINIC CHARGE A FEE FOR THE MONTH??????

MORNING PROGRAM
Methadone Patients:
Admission: FREE (Normally: $50.00 (includes initial lab fees, physical, and assessment)
Daily: $11.00
Weekly: $70.00
Monthly: $270.00

Suboxone Patients:
Admission: $50.00
Medication: $5.00 per 8 mg tablet (avg. daily dose: 16 mg)
Monthly Medical Management Fee: $175.00/mo. (includes all laboratory & physician visits)

EVENING PROGRAM
Methadone Patients:
Admission: FREE (includes initial lab fees, physical, and assessment)
Daily: $12.00

Suboxone Patients:
Medication: $10.00 for up to 16 mg; $5.00 for each additional 8 mg tablet over 16 mg (avg. daily dose: 16 mg)
Monthly Medical Management Fee: $250.00/mo. (includes all laboratory & physician visits)

Guest Dosing
Set-up: $25.00
Guest Dosing: $15.00/Day

Crossroads clinic charges around $275 a month, which does not cover the cost of the drug, and they do not take insurance, Stanton said.The pill, which costs around $15 a day, is covered by insurance and government programs like Medicare and Medicaid.Ittel said the treatment costs far less than what some people are paying to get their drugs on the street.
“It will be a nice option for a niche population, but as it is prescribed now, it won’t replace methadone programs,” he said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Finally:

My guess is that is one of those clinics like the one close to my house. They "can" accept insurance...but they would rather you pay with cash. The Suboxone program they have is a joke..charging people $160/per week, and you HAVE to come weekly for 2 months straight before they'll move you to every 2 weeks program. Then you have to come for 3-4 months every 2 weeks, and they'll move you to monthly program. They want as MUCH cash from you as they can possibly squeeze..and they have found a way to do it because Suboxone does have the potential to help tremendously!

But I don't use that sort of place. I use a REAL doctor's office, not a clinic setting. I make an appointment, and I started with this Doctor that I'm seeing now on 3-month visits..from the start. He knew, 2 years ago when I started, that I was having financial problems, and he wanted to help treat the addict, not make money...so from my first visit, he told me that I could come see him every 12 weeks instead of monthly...and have been seeing him every 12 weeks since.

Just like with everything else, there ARE those out there that want to take advantage of people in this situation, but you can find other means/resources.

I recommend watching the show that's on NATGEO Channel -- Drugs, INC titled "Pill Nation"

It discusses pill mills in Florida..and this sounds similar to those pill mills.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

finallyachance wrote:
JOHNATHAN IS THAT TRUE? Wonder why all the suboxone Clinics in our area charges a monthly fee at my clinic it is $175.00 a month and at our Myrtle Beach clinic the fee is $250.00.

Below is what I copied off my clinics website.

There is another clinic crossroads at the bottom of this post I got off their website in my area because I was thinking wow how come my clinic charged and do all the others I went on all the area websites to see and they all charge we are the lowest one one of them was $300.00 per month.
DOES ANYONE ELSE'S CLINIC CHARGE A FEE FOR THE MONTH??????

MORNING PROGRAM
Methadone Patients:
Admission: FREE (Normally: $50.00 (includes initial lab fees, physical, and assessment)
Daily: $11.00

Suboxone Patients:
Medication: $5.00 per 8 mg tablet (avg. daily dose: 16 mg)
Monthly Medical Management Fee: $175.00/mo. (includes all laboratory & physician visits)

EVENING PROGRAM
Methadone Patients:
Admission: FREE (includes initial lab fees, physical, and assessment)
Daily: $12.00

Suboxone Patients:
Medication: $10.00 for up to 16 mg; $5.00 for each additional 8 mg tablet over 16 mg (avg. daily dose: 16 mg)
Monthly Medical Management Fee: $250.00/mo. (includes all laboratory & physician visits)

Guest Dosing
Set-up: $25.00
Guest Dosing: $15.00/Day

Crossroads clinic charges around $275 a month, which does not cover the cost of the drug, and they do not take insurance, Stanton said.The pill, which costs around $15 a day, is covered by insurance and government programs like Medicare and Medicaid.Ittel said the treatment costs far less than what some people are paying to get their drugs on the street.
“It will be a nice option for a niche population, but as it is prescribed now, it won’t replace methadone programs,” he said.

I am doing some research of the "clinics" in the Birmingham, Alabama area, because I already know how the doctors in the Birmingham, Alabama area work (I see my doctor in Birmingham, once every 3 months as I mentioned)...

Looks like the Fritz Clinic has some similar fees, but not a monthly fee. I copied this DIRECTLY from the .PDF file for the Fritz Clinic, and the website:

(from the .pdf file)
Your first visit with Dr. Fritz may take up to an hour. Please plan for spending some quality time
for this important visit. This initial visit/consult fee is $250.00. Follow up visits with Dr. Fritz are
$100.00 each. Dr. Fritz is a board certified Family Practice physician that operates as an “out of
network” provider for all major insurance companies.

(From the website itself for Fritz Clinic ; Fritzclinic.com)
Intake and Induction may both occur at the first visit, depending on your needs and Dr. Fritz’s evaluation.

Stabilization
Once the appropriate dose of SUBOXONE is established, you will stay at this dose until steady blood levels are achieved. You and Dr. Fritz will discuss your treatment options from this point forward.

Maintenance
Treatment compliance and progress will be monitored. Participation in some form of behavioral counseling is strongly recommended to ensure best chance of treatment success. You are likely to have scheduled appointments on a bi-weekly basis, however, if treatment progress is good and goals are met, monthly visits will eventually be considered sufficient. The Maintenance phase can last from weeks to years – the length of treatment will be determined by you and Dr. Fritz.

Note, some states have different laws regarding how Suboxone doctors must dispense it, but I doubt very seriously the states have laws about the fee schedule that can be placed on Suboxone patients. Alabama, from the stuff I can find, doesn't normally have any sort of Monthly Maintenance Fee or anything like what you're finding on the clinics in your area.

MY personal suggestion would be to find a doctor in an office-type setting to do your suboxone. There's doctors here, hell I even called one two weeks ago, and found out that I could switch to him and he would accept my BCBS of AL as IN NETWORK...and that I would ONLY have to pay the office co-pay that is decided by my Insurance plan ($25)...but I decided against switching doctors, because 1) i dont like change after this long with the same doctor, and 2)I would rather go where I am known, and have been a patient for 2+ years now.

But I would def look around for a doctor+office-type setting instead of a clinic-type setting. This is where you'll see that "fee" disappear and you'll only be paying for the office visit (or co-pay with some insurances if you have it)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The reason for the fees is because they are clinics. The majority of Sub patients receive their treatment from a Dr's office. Typically you are seen once a month. There are Drs out there that accept insurance while others do not. I have seen the fees charged range from very reasonable to insanely expensive. I would definately suggest calling all the Drs in your area to get an idea on price and availability if you decide to go on sub.

Like I said above if you are in pain management then I would discuss your options with your Dr. Any physician can prescribe Sub or Methadone for pain. If you feel methadone is the right decision you wouldn't have to go to a clinic for treatment since you are using it for pain. I also suggest doing research on both prior to discussing it with your Dr. They both have their pro's and con's and you want to know exactly what you would be getting into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm going to jump in here and just talk about your pain issues. Since that was a big thing with me when I started Sub.

I had back surgery in 2009. I kept going back to my surgeon asking for more pills saying I'm still in pain for months after. Untill one day he said he can't write any more scripts for me and sent me to pain management. I actually started my first visit with pain management saying, I'm abusing my pills, I take to much, I'm always in pain. So he wrote me a script for 150 Norco 10's. I took it and ran. That went on for over a year untill one of my random drug tests came up with Percs. Problem. They werent prescribing me percs. I was kicked out. I went to another Ortho surgeon that came recommended. Recommended that I would get "hooked up" I kept saying "I'm still in pain" over and over. Because I really was. My whole body hurt, all the time. I was still using my cane !!! So the next ortho surgeon writes me a script for Norco 10's AND Opana 30's ER. Yea, I was hooked up. That lasted 3 months, when I finally descided I had to stop. There were many many pills prior to the surgery. And when I ran out, I bought off the street.
The 2nd day on Suboxone. I was PAIN FREE. Nothing.

The moral of the story; my body hurt FROM the pills. I know, Suboxone, has some pain med in it, but my overall pain level decreased 95%.

That's my story. Hope it helps with your decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have no pain issues only addiction issues or the pain mgmt route would be best. Worst of all I have no insurance. But...I did get on the phone today and called several doctors (not clinics) and out of five I found one that charges $100.00 a month for office visit to pick up your script otherwise they all charge maintenance fees. Believe it or not the clinic ones I knew about are less monthly maintenance then the doctor office ones. All I can figure guys is everyone is doing it because they can right now and when one or two stop charging the maintenance fee the others will follow suit because they will become competitive but with the 100 client cap it keeps them so full of clients and not having to compete yet. So Breezt, ladytripper, romeo, diary of a quitter, etc...all our long timers or big supporters DO NONE OF YALL PAY MONTHLY MAINTENANCE FEES???????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been on sub for over 3 years and am on my second doctor. I've never paid any "maintenance fees" and this is really the first time I've heard of it being some kind of trend. I see my doctor just like any other of my doctors. Well, with my current sub doctor, he IS my PCP. I see him every 3 months and he writes my sub rx w/ refills and I'm on my way. My last sub doctor I only saw for about 4 months and I saw him every month and just paid a copay for each visit.

I think it probably depends on the local area and if that area actually HAS suboxone clinics. My area does not have any suboxone clinics that I'm aware of. The ENTIRE point of the DATA 2000 ACT was for opiate addiction treatment to be OFFICE-BASED, instead of in a clinic setting. I find it kind of disappointing to think that it could be going in that direction, but that's another subject.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey finallyachance,

Laddertipper, myself and Diary of a Quitter no longer take Suboxone. It's been almost two years since I've been to a Suboxone doctor, but when I was going, I HAD to go every month. If I didn't schedule an appointment for every 30 days, I would lose my spot. My doctor charged $175 cash AND that witch hit my insurance too. She hit my insurance for just over $200, my insurance would only cover $20 or $30 of it, I had to fork out the rest. So, I was basically paying $400 per month just for the office visit. But, my insurance covered my meds. No matter how much my doctor prescribed, I only ever paid $20 for my Suboxone.

Again, this was almost 2 years ago now, I have no idea what kind of fees she charges now??

As far as clinics, I have no idea if there are any clinics around here. I never looked into the clinic thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

finallyachance wrote:
I have no pain issues only addiction issues or the pain mgmt route would be best. Worst of all I have no insurance. But...I did get on the phone today and called several doctors (not clinics) and out of five I found one that charges $100.00 a month for office visit to pick up your script otherwise they all charge maintenance fees. Believe it or not the clinic ones I knew about are less monthly maintenance then the doctor office ones. All I can figure guys is everyone is doing it because they can right now and when one or two stop charging the maintenance fee the others will follow suit because they will become competitive but with the 100 client cap it keeps them so full of clients and not having to compete yet. So Breezt, ladytripper, romeo, diary of a quitter, etc...all our long timers or big supporters DO NONE OF YALL PAY MONTHLY MAINTENANCE FEES???????

I've explained mine in different posts along the site, but I'm not sure if I've ever posted all of my doctors, all in one post all at once...so here goes (with fees charged). Sounds like I have a lot of exp, but I've had 3 doctors in the 4 years I've been on, and you'll see in a minute why that is:

1st:
Methadone clinic that gave out Suboxone (early March 2008 until May 2008)
Fees: $290 1st visit, covered induction and 2nd week visit. $160 each week after 2nd visit, MUST come weekly for TWO month before being put on 2week visits..then come biweekly for 4-6 months before put on monthly visits. (COULD NOT afford this, was unemployed and no income)....

2nd:
Doctor _____ in private practice (I can't remember his name) July 2008 until Aug 2009.
Called about it, told I was already on Sub and wanted a doctor that wouldn't charge so much and wanted out of the "clinic" setting and into a doctor setting. Told me usually 1st visit was $300, but went to ask doctor since I was existing sub patient..came back and said "You're already on it, so he doesn't have to induct you..it'll only be $110 per visit, monthly"
YAY...an hour away but that's ok. Went to him little over 1 year.

Ok, in about January of 2009, I got sick and took some cough syrup. I wasn't "up to date" on the cough syrups like I used to be, so I didn't know this stuff had codeine in it...it was some weird name and I thought it was just for cough...but anyway, I took the stuff and failed a drug test...never had failed one before, and failed ONE test. This doctor got greedy and said "you got to come down here every week and take UA's until I see that you're not taking anything else..then you can go back to monthly."
My next question...."Do I have to pay??" He said I did..that quack..and made me pay him $110 per visit, each week, for SEVEN FUKIN WEEKS. $770 is what it cost me to take some stupid cough syrup..and I only took one dose of it..and it damn sure wasn't to get high!!
This made me MAD as hell..but the guy would only write me a week's worth of sub at each visit..he KNEW I was stuck..but I started looking for options after that.
This doctor had made me fill out some little 2-minute brochure of questions -- and FROM THAT BROCHURE, he decided that my answers made me bipolar!! So he proceeds to prescribe me Seroquel..and BOY WAS I SICK.

SO..from the first visit with this guy, he was pushing pills on me that I didn't want..like that seroquel. BUT.....he gave me my MUCH NEEDED suboxone, so I didn't say nothing until he popped that crazy weekly drug test crap on me, and made me pay..KNOWING THAT WE WERE ON UNEMPLOYMENT!! HE KNEW..that my wife and I were both out of work, because they shut down the plant while I was his patient (that my wife worked at). HE even sent my kids home some candy for Christmas because I came to see him right after the plant shut down, and they closed the doors on December 9, 2008.

3rd and current:
Dr. Mindoza - 1st visit (back then, dunno now) was $300, after that $100. Sept. 2009 - present
I didn't pay the 1st visit fee because I was already a Suboxone patient. So he didn't have to do the induction either. This guy..he was great...I explained that I had variated by accident with the codeine cough syrup with my previous doctor...but it was purely accident..and used TOTAL honesty. I told him that I couldn't afford to go to a doctor like that, and that the previous doctor had given me seroquel which made me SICK AS A DOG for 3 days until I quit taking it..
VERY understanding guy...and very NICE guy. Been with him since the date listed above, no plans to change.

No maintenance fees on any of those, not even the clinic (although it was a very high cost to stay in Suboxone at the methadone clinic...)

The bad part, which isn't really "bad" for me, but could be for someone who's financially strapped (Please don't think I'm trying to brag about that because I've been there too)..
The doctor I currently see isn't IN-NETWORK for me and my insurance. So, I have to meet my out-of-network deductible each year ....before insurance will pay anything toward this doctor's fees. It's costly to me, cash/debit whatever out of pocket..but I LIKE the doctor I'm seeing, and don't want to change. We've worked it out so that when I go see my doctor, I pay the normal office visit fee, $100, and that goes toward my $500 deductible. The bad part, I wind up meeting my deductible in like, November, because I only see this doctor every 3 months.

So every 3 months for a year comes out to 4 visits a year (4visits x 3months =12months)
I usually hit $400 of my $500 deductible in the November visit. I've even called, in the past month, and found a doctor who does suboxone and would be IN-NETWORK, PLUS..he's a Primary Care..so instead of it being billed as a specialist, like my current doctor is, he would be billing insurance as a regular PCP doctor...and I would only have to pay my $25 office co-pay.
But i'm not switching docs. I told them that I was just curious, and they were ready to set me up an appointment with this new doctor who was in my insurance....
I said "well, I just would like to know that I do have an option, but I want to stay where I am for now. But I wanted to see if there ARE other docs if something happens or I need to change ..thank you though"

No maintenance fee with that doctor either. The BIG drawback with that new doctor that I called (but didn't set-up appointment with) was that he would have to see me EACH MONTH, not every 3 months like I currently get. That was part of it for me too..I didn't want to change my current 3-month schedule and go to a monthly visit..even thought it might be cheaper.

None of my doctors have ever had any sort of maintenance fee in place.

But there's only 1 or 2 methadone clinics in this area, and the closest one is 25 miles from me...so it isn't really "close".

I hope this helps (Central Alabama here)