It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:59 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am coming off of a 6 yr oxycodone habit...upwards of 180mg give or take a day.Went on Sub in Aug,on a very low dose.The Dr was a quack and wouldnt write me a script for more than 6mg a day.Found an awesome Dr who put me on 16mg which I've been on for 6 wks or so now.I would like to cut down.I went on generic subutex due to problems with my joints and they are very hard to cut,they fall apart.I am seeing my Dr Tues and am going to get the name brand.Does anyone know if its any better?

Also Im not sure if 16 is too high a dose for the long haul.I find myself so sleepy when I sit down at night I cant stay awake.Last night it was only 8pm and I was watching TV with my 11 yr old son,Bridezillas.LOL.He was asking me whats the difference between a maid of honor and a bridesmaid and it took me like ten min to answer his question because I kept dosing off.I literally could not stay awake.I could imagine what he thinks.

Its also getting harder to achieve the big O...kwim? LOL. Im thinking I need to drop my dose.Wondering if I should wait to get the name brands to see if they are easier to cut or has anyone gone from 16 to 8 with no real adverse affects?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It does sound like your dose might be a tad bit too high. You could try bumping it down a bit to 12 mg and see if that's better. That should take away that somnolence problem and might even reduce the sexual side effect, too (it's a fairly normal side effect). I wouldn't go straight down to 8 just yet. Like I said, I would try the 12 mg first. If that's still too high, THEN you can try the 8 mg.

When it comes to subutex, people seem to have different experiences on the different generics and the brand name. They seem to have to try the different companies' versions of their generics to see which one works the best for them. You can always ask your pharmacy if they can order one of the other generics.

If you haven't started yet, when you drop your dose it might be the perfect time to start building up a "back stock" of extra suboxone. Many of us on this forum do this. I do - this way I don't have to worry about making my doctor's appt or pick up my prescriptions on exactly the right day. No worries about running out either.

I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I totally agree that you shouldn't go from 16 to 8 all at once. I tried that once but after about 3 days I wasn't feeling very well and had to bump it back up again. I take 8mg 3 times a day and find I get very tired at night too. What works best to keep me awake is eating sunflower seeds. I know it's not the healthiest things to be eating with all the salt but it will keep you awake. I don't even feel tired though as long as I'm moving around, it's just trying to read or watch TV that causes a problem. Good luck to you!

Chris

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

vikeslady26 wrote:
I totally agree that you shouldn't go from 16 to 8 all at once. I tried that once but after about 3 days I wasn't feeling very well and had to bump it back up again. I take 8mg 3 times a day and find I get very tired at night too. What works best to keep me awake is eating sunflower seeds. I know it's not the healthiest things to be eating with all the salt but it will keep you awake. I don't even feel tired though as long as I'm moving around, it's just trying to read or watch TV that causes a problem. Good luck to you!

Chris

It's weird I feel fine as long as I am busy too but as soon as I sit down with nothing to do I feel exhausted. It doesn't matter what time of day or how much sleep I got. I totally understand why sub would make someone tired but its just weird to me that I can feel fine one minute but the second I sit down I am overwhelmingly tired. Why don't I feel tired when I am busy?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:23 am 
melijm wrote:
I am coming off of a 6 yr oxycodone habit...upwards of 180mg give or take a day.Went on Sub in Aug,on a very low dose.The Dr was a quack and wouldnt write me a script for more than 6mg a day.Found an awesome Dr who put me on 16mg which I've been on for 6 wks or so now.I would like to cut down.I went on generic subutex due to problems with my joints and they are very hard to cut,they fall apart.I am seeing my Dr Tues and am going to get the name brand.Does anyone know if its any better?

Also Im not sure if 16 is too high a dose for the long haul.I find myself so sleepy when I sit down at night I cant stay awake.Last night it was only 8pm and I was watching TV with my 11 yr old son,Bridezillas.LOL.He was asking me whats the difference between a maid of honor and a bridesmaid and it took me like ten min to answer his question because I kept dosing off.I literally could not stay awake.I could imagine what he thinks.

Its also getting harder to achieve the big O...kwim? LOL. Im thinking I need to drop my dose.Wondering if I should wait to get the name brands to see if they are easier to cut or has anyone gone from 16 to 8 with no real adverse affects?

I went from 16 to 8 at -2 mg every 4-7 days, and felt no pain.

I didn't feel pain until I tried to go below 2 mg. Maybe felt a little stress going from 4 ---> 2, but not too bad.

I found 16 to be too high of a dose for the long haul, yes. I take 1-1.5 mg per day, but on the way down I stayed at 4 mg for a couple months, and was at 2 mg for the majority of my 14 months on Sub, I'd say.

I am a big proponent of less = more with Sub. Some here would disagree with me, but I tell them not to knock it unless they've tried it. To each their own..but you should give it a shot. I find I have very few side effects, compared to how I felt at 16 mg/day, which I only took for a day or two, and I had a decent habit this time around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:21 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Breezy...thats how I feel.If I get a moment in the afternoon and Im not busy and kids are in school,I zonk out if I sit down on the couch! I also dont feel tired bit if I want to read,Im lucky if I can clear 3 pages.Its like I wake up not even realizing I dosed off.Gonna start cutting tomorrow.i see the Dr soon and am filling the name brand to try that.I dread those aspiriny tasting roxanns.Yuk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I was on Suboxone, I slept a lot too. I was in bed around 9pm or earlier everynight AND I would snooze during the day if I didn't keep busy. I used to say that if sleeping were an Olympic sport, I would have taken Gold, Silver AND Bronze with how much I used to sleep!!

Good luck on dropping your dose Melijm, I think once you get to a lower dose that you'll feel better.