It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

A little background: 26 year old male been on suboxone since 2012... before that used illegal bought opiates for about 5 years. :roll:
Went to rehab, got clean... spent 6 months psychologically craving oxy, before i decided to be proactive and start suboxone under psyc docs supervision.

so i had 6 months clean and sober, got on 2mg sub film and took it religiously every single day at the same time. At first i felt a slight buzz but nothing longer then 30 minutes for about a month and never upped the dose.

Fastworward to now. Im in school and work crazy hours with many different shifts at work.
that being said at least once or twice a week ill run into a situation thats out of my control and i literally have NO TIME TO TAKE IT. so the day after i miss my dose i feel like shit and the 2mg film just doesnt work to stop the withdrawal... i find myself having to take 3mg or one and a half strips to just feel normal.

my question is, was my dose too small even to begin with?
should i ask my doc about raising my dose?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Imo, and this is only my opinion, after 6 months off being completely abstinent from opiates, 2mg seems like it would be a sufficient dose, since your tolerance was basically zero after 6 months.
Now, having said that,being on only 2 mgs, after more than 24 hours of not having your dose, your blood level probably goes below the ceiling. What I mean is that 2 mgs is probably just enough to hold you for one day, so if you miss a day, you feel it. I don't think you're undermedicated,I just think that after you miss a day, it takes 3mgs for you to feel better. My advice would be to find a way, somehow, to not miss that dose you're missing. Fit it into your routine some way.

I made my dose part of my morning routine and dose while showering and getting ready for work. That way I'm sure to take it at the same time each day, and not forget.
Just my 2€ents anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:02 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the information, I value your knowledge. You're right, 2mg after a decent time of sobriety should have been enough time to drop my tolerance to zero or near zero.
I did start off abusing fairly high doses for an opiate naive person... my first recreational dose was high. Within a year i was taking 40mg oxy, every four hours!!! expensive i know. I cold turkey-ed that too.