It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:01 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I was on 3mg Subutex but was having a terrible time with the constipation to the point of going to the er. Anyway, I went back on Hydros last week and thought I would taper off that with the help of my Dr. At any rate im feeling mentally a mess. the one plus was the subs evened out my moods which is a good thing since I suffer from anxiety and depression, now my moods are all over the place. Im at around 50mg hydro trying to taper down, everyone says it is easier to get off of then subs... I am sure that is the case since I am still physically wd even with the hydro, but I am second guessingmyself. Maybe I would have been better off weaning off subs. I just didn't want to be on it for life. Guess im just venting and looking for thoughts?
Thank you all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Not sure if I can suggest anything useful because I have no experience with Hydros.

Wonder why one would be constipating, but not the other. Maybe there's a forum with more stuff about Hydrocodone where you could see some useful threads.

Good luck.

-- ji

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:44 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for the reply... the hydros have such a short half life that im in withdrawal by morning so thats why i dont get constipated, especially at this dose which is is much lower than my sub dose. I feel i am still wd off the subs even with the hydro in my system.... may have been easier to stay on subs and wean off that. Now sure if I screwed myself.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would agree subs would be maybe a little harder to come off than hydros. But the acute withdrawal sypmtoms with hydros would be worse. Sub would be more long and drawn out. Idk Ive heard of people taking a little hydro when they come off subs to get some relief. Sounds like it could be a relapse minefield. Hydros are a mood rollercoaster and subs are like sail boats. Ive got a friend who bounces back and forth and when he was on the pain pills he would always be doing stupid stuff and going to the hospital freaking out when he was out. He seemed to have it together better with subs.

NR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:40 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes its that rollercoaster of emotions getting to me. Ive got the support of my dDr who is willing to provide me with either the subs or the hydros to get off of. My depression and anxiety is what is making me worse, I think its magnified more on the hydros due to the ups and down. I thought id be stabalized by now even though i jumped from 3mg of subs but its not working as well as I thought. I may be the minority with this as Ive read success stories of people using hydros to wean off subs... I dont know anymore. I feel I have little fight left in me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well thats why I was encouraging the subs more. I have very bad anxiety and depression and pain pills will amplify that shit. From my experience. Its just to much up and down and up and down. I mean Im not a doctor but from what I have experienced, If you have depression, anxiety issues adding pain pills =batshit crazy depression and anxiety. Anyway I know how you feel man. Good luck.

NR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:54 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

1.2mg of bupe is 30mg of hydros. so you were on 3mg, hence the way you are feeling. mixing is never best, they just work different. Try to get back on the subs and taper it out. Your success IMO will be much better...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:25 pm 

I'm with dirtyblonde. Go back on the Sub and do a slow taper. Going back on to the hydro is not a good idea for an addict.

As far as comparison goes, I got down to 1 mg a couple of years ago. Then I had to have surgery, like major surgery. Being at that low dose really helped. After the surgery I was prescribed 10 mg Norco's/hydro. I had to take two of them at one time four times a day but my doctor understood why. Took them for about two weeks w/o any w/d effects at all. My addict brain couldn't stick with the dosage so I got back onto Suboxone again.

I found it very easy to taper down. Just go slow and give your body at least two weeks in between drops to stabilize. Never felt any w/d's.

Why you're having such bad constipation I can't say. What does your doctor say about that? Normally, a persons body gets used to the Suboxone and the constipation goes away. Go get a large jar of Metamucil and triple the dose. Buy the generic one that says take 1 teaspoon. Then take 3-4 large heaping tablespoons in a large glass of water. Don't make it too thick to swallow. Follow that with another full glass of water. Within two days you'll be right as rain and have a nice clean pink colon!

BTW, you can go back on the Sub the next morning after taking the hydro at night. Try to wait as long as you can, like close to noon before dosing. It's different than your first induction. You don't have to off it as long this time. Do that and you'll golden.

rule

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thank you all...I am going to go back to subs...2mg and do a slow taper...
The constipation is what really killed me but i will have to just manage...I have an organ prolapse down there so thats why the constipation gets bad.
Anyway what started out as 40 mg is now higher anyway...I can't control the taper with pills because I don't want the roller coaster ups and downs...so now im at 45-50... pretty soon will be 60 and back up....

Nightrider

You said exactly how I feel. From my research is seems most people who don't suffer from depression and anxiety (not situational) find it easier to get off pills than subs... the problem i am finding is going from the subs to the hydros have made me a mess... its just amplifying my anxiety, exactly waht I didnt want it to do. Since the dose is lower of the hydro Im now in a constant state of mild wd... so constantly feeling depressed. The first 5 days the drop from 3mg subs to 40 mg of hydro was still bad... had all the typical symptoms, they were eased a bit but the crawlies and stiffness as well as not sleeping were all still there. So now Im stuck on these hydros, albeit not a high dose.... I just cant ct.. not at this point as I take care of my 2 kids and have noone to help me since my husband works 6 days a week. At any rate, if im going to be stuck on pills, I may as well go back to 2mg of subs and do a slow taper since I had some sense of normalcy, I think.
I am just prolonging the my suffering I know... but feeling suicidal is probably not a good thing either. Just feel lost. Sorry. TY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:20 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

people get placed on subs because of narcotics. Its to get away not back on, I know me personally could not win that one. I would be fucked with a cap F. No win, that's why subs were created. Slippery slope man. wow, I don't fuck with any of it. I would be 2 years gone and something very serious. its peanut butter on the brain. good luck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

After 4 years on sub, i was severely constipated. There'snothing that takes it away. Medamucil helped for maybe a week

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

How many days off sub??

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

As someone that has detoxed off both (or very similar things) I would tell you the hydros would be easier in my opinion. Yes your pain will be much more at the peak, but from what I remember getting clean off dope is it took much much less time as well.

I am currently on day 10 of my suboxone detox and without an incredibly supportive family and friends I would never have made it this far. I was able to detox off of 120mg Oxycontin a day while in a much much darker place in my life.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well I'm back on subs... Just a very low dose.. I don't want to go over 3mg. I know getting off hydro would be easier but I'm too mental to CT and the using it to taper was not working since I have no will lower. Every time I would come down I took another pill because I would get depressed oh and because I like to self medicate lol surprise!... I said I was going to start at 40mg after I got off the 3mg sub and thought I would wean down from the hydro easily.. By yesterday I was already at 50mg after 2 weeks off subs... I was going up not down .. Guess I'm not strong enough and will have to just do a slow drawn out taper w the subs. I'm no knocking this method, it just didn't work for me unfornately. Thank you all for the support and feedback!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

csinny wrote:
Well I'm back on subs... Just a very low dose.. I don't want to go over 3mg. I know getting off hydro would be easier but I'm too mental to CT and the using it to taper was not working since I have no will power. Every time I would come down I took another pill because I would get depressed oh and because I like to self medicate lol surprise!... I said I was going to start at 40mg after I got off the 3mg sub and thought I would wean down from the hydro easily.. By yesterday I was already at 50mg after 2 weeks off subs... I was going up not down .. Guess I'm not strong enough and will have to just do a slow drawn out taper w the subs. I'm no knocking this method, it just didn't work for me unfornately. Thank you all for the support and feedback!!

Hi csinny,
Don't beat yourself up. You are not the first or last to feel 'powerless' over drugs! (i.e. "no will power") It seems that those who rely on some form of 'Higher Power" do find the strength though, and I'm sure you've heard that before. What I think is interesting (and wonderful!) are all the manifestations of this "power" I have read about on this forum, and they all seem to "help"- from "nature" to "Jesus" to "Divine Mind", etc, etc..I believe "whatever" your understanding of this power is, if you truly open yourself to it for help, it will walk in the door.
So you are "only" taking sub now, right? 3mgs? IMO just take it easy, stabilize for a few weeks, then begin a slow taper as low as you feel comfortable and jump when you are mentally, physically and spiritually ready. Tapering takes strength as well! And patience and fortitude. You can do it!! You are stronger than you think! :D
BF

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:29 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi There,

Hydros were my drug of choice, I was taking about 10-12 a day before I got off.

Suboxone has some side effects, constipation is a major one for a lot of people. The lower your dose of Suboxone, the less of a problem it is. Drinking lots of water, and ask your doctor what he is/her recommendation is for dealing with constipation. SInce your problem with it has been severe, your doctor is the best source of advice on the topic.

I hope you can stabilize, get your life on track and along with your doctor and some type of counseling address your life situation mindfully.

You do not have to stay on Suboxone for the rest of your life. It can be a bridge, a short term bridge to get you back to living the life you want.

I stayed on Suboxone for too long, and am finally getting off of it. The drug did save my life, but I made the mistake of staying on it too long. That's my only observation worth sharing at this time. Use the drug to help you, but please keep in mind what your strategy with your doctor will be to get you off the medication.

I wish you all of the best, and have been right where you are now. Life will get better without hydros!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:02 pm 

My opinion is that the reason people go on sub in the first place is because they have tried to taper off/quit their drug of choice and it's been impossible! So it doesn't make sense to me that going back on your doc would help you ultimately quit opiates. Good luck on your sub taper!

Amy