It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:44 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone!
This is actually my first time posting. I have researched long and hard online about the effects of soboxen and pregnancy. Lets just say there is'nt a whole lot of info out there. I came across this website and was quie relieved! Soo much info on here from the people who know! The ones who have experienced it. I have been on sob for alomost a year, it will be a year in just a couple weeks. I actually started out on relatively lose dose, only 4mg a day. I wanted to have a low dose thinking that when I begin to taper the w/d would'nt be so bad. Well that was all fine and dandy but I had a relapse in Nov so I was bumped up to 16 mg a day. Everything has been going great and now I want to taper, however about 2 weeks ago I had only a 3 day period. NOT normal for me. A week and a half before that I missed one of my BC pills (actually 2) I took them but my period was set to start in a week so I didnt think I would get pregnant. After I had my 3 day period I immediately started to feel very crampy and had some lower back pain. I didnt have any pain in my breasts but was unrinating frequently, especially at night. I bought some preg tests and took a total of 4 over a week and a half. they all said negative. I miscarried 2 years ago so that is not something I want to go through again if I can prevent it. As it stands now I no longer have the crampy feeling but m breasts have started to hurt and I still have the lower back pain. I'm set to start my period again on April 26th (my bday lol) so I was thinking I would just wait again to take any more tests. I saw online that the bleeding I had at the end of March could have been implantation bleeding, but if it was should'nt I have tested positive on the test after that?? Im pretty confused. I would never in my life get an abortion but if I am pregnant then Im extremely nervous about the soboxen. For one my fiance has already said that I need to detox NOW if I am pregnant and another NO ONE in my family knows I take soboxen except for my fiance and my mom! I told my fiance that I cant just stop taking it for far of miscarriage, I dont want o go through that again! Does anyone have any advice?? I would greatley appreciate it! Thanks so much for listening :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:30 pm 
Hello Fishinggirl and welcome! In response to the questions you asked in your post.....If you only missed 2 birth control pills and then got caught back up on them, it is very unlikely that you became pregnant at that time. It is quite common to have shorter, lighter periods on any birth control pill (even if that is not the norm for you, it is still possible.) You mentioned that you had taken several pregnancy tests and they were negative. Pregnancy tests are quite accurate, even the OTC ones these days. So if you tested yourself even as little as ten days after conception, you would have a positive pregnancy test if you had gotten pregnant. And you're correct, even if you had a little implantation bleed, the hormone levels will increase normally if you conceived and you'd still have a positive preg test
I hope you went ahead and started your next pack of pills on schedule despite having the shorter period. If you didn't, then obviously there is a chance now that you have or will become pregnant during this cycle. It's something I used to see often when I worked as a nurse. A woman would think she might be pregnant, stop her birth control pills and then actually wind up getting pregnant after that because of having stopped the pill! The thing to keep in mind is that birth control pills are highly effective when taken properly. If a pill is forgotten, it should be taken as soon as it's noticed and get yourself caught back up. Obviously the more pills that are missed, the more your chances are of becoming pregnant. But again, if taken properly, the odds of conceiving while on the pill are very, very slim.
I'm sorry that you had a miscarriage before. That's an awful thing to go through and I certainly understand you not wanting to go through that again. I don't know how old you are or what your situation exactly is at this time. But if this is not an optimal time for you to bring a baby into the world, I congratulate you for using effective birth control. There is no happier time in life than having a baby.....and when the time is right and that baby is brought into a well-prepared family, it's just that much happier! So if you're still struggling with your addiction or your circumstances for living aren't optimal for a baby just yet and you're still young, then I would encourage you to wait a while before starting a family. Of course, that's entirely up to you! Just giving you my thoughts!
If you're not pregnant and decide to wait a while, perhaps you can begin to taper your Suboxone and maybe even come off of it before having a baby. But if you decide you need to stay on Sub for a long time or forever, you can still have a healthy pregnancy. There are stories here on the forum from women who have done just that. In general, it is considered best practice to change over to Subutex if you're pregnant and you'd certainly want to be followed by doctors who are aware of your use of the medication and can advise you of all the right things for you to do for pregnancy and delivery.
Either way, I hope you will participate here more! Take care!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:31 pm 
Hello Fishinggirl and welcome! In response to the questions you asked in your post.....If you only missed 2 birth control pills and then got caught back up on them, it is very unlikely that you became pregnant at that time. It is quite common to have shorter, lighter periods on any birth control pill (even if that is not the norm for you, it is still possible.) You mentioned that you had taken several pregnancy tests and they were negative. Pregnancy tests are quite accurate, even the OTC ones these days. So if you tested yourself even as little as ten days after conception, you would have a positive pregnancy test if you had gotten pregnant. And you're correct, even if you had a little implantation bleed, the hormone levels will increase normally if you conceived and you'd still have a positive preg test
I hope you went ahead and started your next pack of pills on schedule despite having the shorter period. If you didn't, then obviously there is a chance now that you have or will become pregnant during this cycle. It's something I used to see often when I worked as a nurse. A woman would think she might be pregnant, stop her birth control pills and then actually wind up getting pregnant after that because of having stopped the pill! The thing to keep in mind is that birth control pills are highly effective when taken properly. If a pill is forgotten, it should be taken as soon as it's noticed and get yourself caught back up. Obviously the more pills that are missed, the more your chances are of becoming pregnant. But again, if taken properly, the odds of conceiving while on the pill are very, very slim.
I'm sorry that you had a miscarriage before. That's an awful thing to go through and I certainly understand you not wanting to go through that again. I don't know how old you are or what your situation exactly is at this time. But if this is not an optimal time for you to bring a baby into the world, I congratulate you for using effective birth control. There is no happier time in life than having a baby.....and when the time is right and that baby is brought into a well-prepared family, it's just that much happier! So if you're still struggling with your addiction or your circumstances for living aren't optimal for a baby just yet and you're still young, then I would encourage you to wait a while before starting a family. Of course, that's entirely up to you! Just giving you my thoughts!
If you're not pregnant and decide to wait a while, perhaps you can begin to taper your Suboxone and maybe even come off of it before having a baby. But if you decide you need to stay on Sub for a long time or forever, you can still have a healthy pregnancy. There are stories here on the forum from women who have done just that. In general, it is considered best practice to change over to Subutex if you're pregnant and you'd certainly want to be followed by doctors who are aware of your use of the medication and can advise you of all the right things for you to do for pregnancy and delivery.
Either way, I hope you will participate here more! Take care!