It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I recently started a new job in a new state. I am almost out of suboxone from my previous doctor and have made an appointment with a new one in my new area. It was NOT easy securing this appointment! However, I have found out that some of the patients where I work go to this doctor sometimes. Now, I am afraid to go to my first appointment because I don't want my employers to know I am on suboxone. They do drug screens at work, but do not test for buprenorphine. However, I feel that -being only several months in- they could use knowledge of me being on suboxone as a rationale behind the contemplation of firing me. I have moved to a rather conservative state too, by the way. What should I do?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:19 pm 

Hey Behavior, Glad you ve joined up with us. (have read your other two posts today) Welcome.

What should you do?
Well after 5 years are you ready and willing to stop Buprenorphine treatment?
Also this dr your going to see , is he an office based GP or something or is it a clinic setting were the others may see you?

I understand your need for privacy, I do. No one wants to be outed if it isn't necessary. Perhaps you can talk with this new dr about your concerns.

Maybe more information on just were you are in the recovery world or what plan you have. Meaning are you ready to stop?
And yes Dr Junig, imo is without a dought the most openly knowledgeable Dr Ive come to learn from. Hope you post more .

Razor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It is a regular doctor's office as far as I know...I have never been there. He is a psychiatrist, so best case scenario if I am seen there is that people from work think I am mentally unstable.

I probably should be ready to get off suboxone....and I have thought about it a lot in the past as well as currently. I am on 8 mg and I used to be on 16 mg for several years. I honestly feel that NO ONE needs more than 8 to 12 mg per day...but that is just my humble opinion. Anyway, I am not ready to get off the suboxone. Too many life changes over the past three months, no support here, haven't been to meetings in a while, and I do not have all my mental health and spirituality issues completely under control yet. I need to stay on the medicine -even if it's just for another year or two and even if I am put on a lower dose like 4 mg.

I know that I work with people who are on controlled substances and they have been upfront about it to the bosses. But none of those substances happens to be buprenorphine....of course (that would be too easy, right?). Still, I do not want my employers to find out about the suboxone....I make good money and I work at my dream job doing what I love. The company treats me well.....I feel like my own boss at times even....even though that isn't true.

The only options are: Find another doctor, taper off or find out more information about my current doctor, come up with a plan (in case coworkers see me) and give it a try. What would YOU do?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey BG,

Is tapering really an option? "I am not ready to get off the suboxone"

You also said "I am almost out of suboxone" " I am on 8 mg". I read your other post so know you know that's not a dose to rapidly taper from and do well -- continue to work, stay off...

Seems like you need to get a script soon... Wishing you my best, P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:14 am 

I'm just gonna tell ya what I'd do in ur situation....I'd go to the doctors appointment. If anyone saw me from work, I'd just not say a word except for maybe hello. It's none of their business and honestly they'd only be able to guess at why ur there right? If ur not ready to taper and almost out of ur medicine, what choice do ya have at this very moment? If u wanna get on a waiting list for another doctor that'd be an idea, but u still need to go to this doctor until u can do different. I think it'll be ok, don't over think too much, u may not run into one person u know, and if u do just wave :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:52 am 

Behavior,
As you have said your not ready to come off. And why not. Looks to me your life is in a big upswing. If it aint broke don't fix it" as they say.

As the others have pointed out the co workers have there own problems. As Men said just wave. Lol. Or don't.

You can not jump from 8mgs AND go to work without someone seeing a change in you. So...imo, keep the appointment and get the script.

Chances are you won't see a soul there.. thats what Id do.

Razor..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello behavior.

If it were me, i would go to my appointment. ESPECIALLY knowing how hard it is to secure an appointment for subs. Sooo many places are at capacity for bup and it is tough to find a sub doctor sometimes.

You found one and you are currently taking 8mg. I def wouldnt stop from that high of a dose.
if someone asks you later, say you go for antidepressants, or say you take bup to control your pain in your back. No ONE needs to really know.
My doctor that i go to sees "addicts and psychiatric patients." So if I saw someone i knew from work. i would just say I am there for my depression issues.

If you get off suboxone for the wrong reasons, relapse is a certainty

The first time I got off of suboxone, was because I was shamed for taking that medication by my spouse and parents. I got off of it for them and I relapsed. I later got back on it a second time and kept it to myself. I couldn't be happier.
I gues what I am saying is to STAY on the MEDS. You seem to being doing well on the subs. Keep it up.

and Keep posting here, because we are all here to help!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks everyone. I am going to go to the appointment. I am in agreement with the line of thought that I can just say I am there for depression meds or something or not say anything at all....I was thinking that all along actually. BUT what I am afraid of is that the receptionist will say something that people in the waiting room (perhaps coworkers) will overhear. Or perhaps my file will be left out or coworkers will se me go in to leave a urine specimen or walk out with a script or some other give-away. A million issues could ensue!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey BG,

Any chance you can drive by and maybe stop in and check it out? Do your own reconnaissance? Is it a storefront or an office in a bldg? Drive by and suss it out, walk thru. See where you can park, enter and exit that might not be the expected way. Call the office, ask how many Dr's are in the practice or share the suite and how they handle patient HIPAA and privacy/confidentiality expectations? Is there a group waiting room or might they segregate patients for privacy? ie putting pts in rooms or separate entrance/exit... Ask the office how they work. You will be far from the first to ask this. You can block your #.

You can figure it out - you're a thinker and with more info I'm certain you'll figure out a plan!

Welcome here, this is a great site - probup and focused on recovery. Read ALL you can !!! P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:51 am 

Yes I agree with pelican. Call the office and just tell them that u possibly have coworkers that see this Dr and u want to make sure no one overhears anything while seated in the waiting area.

But I do think you'll be fine and ur letting ur mind wonder too much. I'm exactly like that too, I'll think of a thousand things that could go wrong or twenty scenarios to go along with it. I'm a huge worryer :)