It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:16 pm 

Hey all!! Got a question or opinion to ask ya. I have been on suboxone over 2 yrs. I don't have insurance but I'm fine paying what I pay even though I know it is a lot. I tried rehabs, detox, cold turkey...nothing worked to keep me long term off opiates, except suboxone. It's truly a miracle for me. I see it as something I have to have to function normal without cravings, depression from addiction, and just being the best I can be. I know most ppl want to finally get off subs too and I just haven't wanted to do that yet cause if I'm doing great why mess with tapering yet? Well my Dr is doing it even though I don't wanna. I was cut from 16 to 12 and in six months (which is this month already) I get cut to 8mg. I guess I have no choice except change clinics & I don't wanna do that. So my question is, do u think if the Dr says ur gonna taper and won't listen when u say u don't want to.....will I still be successful throughout my journey of tapering down?? I don't wanna go bk to craving and anxiety, I'm happy where I am now. Thank u for reading this!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If this doctor is absolutely set on forcing you to into a taper that you aren't comfortable with, imo, even though it is inconvenient, probably the best thing you can do is try to find a new doctor that doesn't set time limits on treatment with buprenorphine. If you've tried many avenues of getting and remaining clean, to no avail without sub, then I'm not sure how successful a forced taper off the medication will be.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:56 pm 

Hey Jenn,
Imo forced tapering at some point can cause a slip.
I also feel that lower doses of sub aren't a bad thing. You will still be above the ceiling of 4to6mgs.imo.
If your not comfortably dosed, maybe look for another Dr.

But agree, if it ain't broke", don't fix it".
It's funny how all theses Dr's run there programs so differently.
I would keep stressing to your Dr how you feel about this each time you see him/her.. My two cents..

Razor