It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So I just went to fill my suboxone. I've been on since late 2009 without a single slip. Although I've been stable on a variety of doses I'm currently at 4 mg day. Anyhow, I turn in the script along with another med and in about 10 minutes I'm out the door at Walgreens. I usually do a quick count in the parking lot but for whatever reason just drive off this time. As soon as I got home I was going to put the strips away. To my shock, I counted 10 rather than the 15 that should have been there. My heart started to race. While I could have managed the month I knew I had to go right back. Thankfully it was the head pharmacist, one of two there who know me by face and name. Of course the girl at the counter gave me a bit if a look but very nicely said she'd ask the pharmacist. I said, check your counts or the video. Within a minute the pharmacist was apologizing profusely for the mixup. Evidently there were 10 left in the box plus another patient was filling 10 and she mixed them up.

I've always worried about something like this happening with them of course thinking, yeah, right, we shorted you 33% on your controlled substance fill. To be honest these two regular pharmacists have always been beyond great with me. Some of the part-timers and fill-ins not so much. Wonder what they might have done, although I'm sure their counts would have been off.

I often read stories of bad things happening at the pharmacy - all in the name of preventing abuse and diversion. It's nice to know there are still some good ones out there. Everyone makes a mistake now and then. Within two minutes I had 5 more strips and was again out the door until next month.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:05 pm 

Great story, Don! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I haven't had any problems with my pharmacy, except that they may not have what I need in stock, so I have to go to a different pharmacy. No looks, though, or anything that hints at condescension or rudeness.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Don, what a lovely story. Not all pharmacist are A-holes, lol I love the title :lol: Very funny and catchy too. I bet your heart sank when you first noticed what had happened. I'm so glad you didn't have any trouble getting the other 5 when you went back. Only getting 15 a month sounds like such a small amount. Bravo for getting yourself down to suck a small dose. I'm still at 12 mg. But I'm happy right where I am at. I am just very grateful to be clean. Thanks for sharing your success story, and stop by more often :wink: ---Bamagirl

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Bamba. I was actually at 8 strips a month (2 mg day) for several years. To be honest, I felt fine - nearly like I do now. The main difference is I didn't have any wiggle room. I'd now and then wake up after about 4 or 5 hours of sleep in very slight withdrawal after which I'd have to take a dose and then after about 90 minutes I could fully feel the difference and fall back asleep. After transferring my care to an awesome bup Doctor (who many of you know of) he suggested I go back to 4 mg.

It amazing how, at least in my expierence, the daily dose doesn't matter much at all to how I was treated by others. My previous doc and staff were just as strict at 8 strips a month as they were about 60 when I started. Same with pharmacy staff. You'd think at these low doses they figure I'm not diverting, etc., but jot the case. Thankfully my current doc is awesome and sees it all for what it is - a life saving medicine with low abuse potential.

Do what's best for you Bamba but I promise you, if you got down to 8 or even 6 mg, you'd feel exactly the same. I PROMISE!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is what I hear Don. Some have even said I'd feel better. I got sick about 10 days after I dropped to 12 mg from my original 16. Just a bad cold that went away after NOT RUNNING IT"S CORSE. lol I'm a wimp. It lasted 3 days at the most. It still sucked though. I did try to go down from 12 to 8 when I thought I was loosing my Dr. I found out just tonight my Dr. has a replacement. Anyway, when I dropped down to 8, about 48 hours later, I started hurting real bad. Mind you I am a chronic pain patient who is being treated for addiction. I only take Suboxone; no pain medication any more. (I know that's the point of getting on Suboxone, but a few take tramadol) Soon as I went back up to 12 mg, pain went away. I could probably take 2 morning, 2 afternoon, and 4 at night and get on past that though. I just didn't plan good. Heck, I didn't know when the pain was going to hit. All my receptors have been covered so deeply for 7 months now... It's starting to break through, I'm starting to build a tolerance, or something. Ever since it started getting cold, I've been having a little breakthrough pain. I know this isn't a pain meds. I'll probably try to go on and drop again soon and see how it goes, but if I feel pain that can't be controlled by just Aleve, back up I'm going. Have a good night. Bamagirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:14 am 

Bamagirl, glad to hear that you have a replacement doctor. That must be such a relief!

Everyone is different. Don't worry so much about what others say worked for them. It's most important that you find what works with you. I want to make sure that you are dosing your buprenorphine at least 4 times a day. The analgesic properties of buprenorphine last for 4 to 6 hours. So if you're not dosing 4 to 6 times a day you will have breakthrough pain. I think that dosing correctly is more important for you than how much you are actually on. Anyway, work with your doctor to make sure your pain is being taken care of.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I decided to reply when I saw "bama" in the name of one of the users in this thread...

It's been a very long time. Just my last visit was Sept 10, 2016..so I can't keep up with everything that's been going on...

I've been lucky and hope my luck continues. Made a few mistakes over the years, we all do it from time to time.. But I've been clean, without any problems since July 7, 2008. I haven't always been on the legal side of things with my Suboxone (tried twice to help those "friends" who didn't have jobs or any idea what Suboxone was)..

My last venture into that taught me once and for all about trying to help people. I had it rough getting it for myself...and I won't help anyone ever again. Not just the legal issue, but the moral issue as well..
About a year ago, I had a little over a box of extra Suboxone strips saved up. But I made that awful mistake of listening to a pity party story from a LONG-time friend..

The guy actually does have it pretty rough... One day after the 2012 Connecticut "shooting"..this friend of mine was in St. Vincent's hospital when a gunman entered and shot 3 people before police killed him.

(for interested parties -- http://abc3340.com/archive/gunman-in-st ... ficer-shot)

One of the victims was my friend. He was in a coma from the 15 until the 24 of Dec. The guy that did the shooting shot him in the back, the bullet entered and caused severe internal injuries...

You can only imagine the plethora of pain meds he's been on...but at any rate, he somehow found me 3 years later. And at the point he came to me last year, I had disciplined myself pretty well.. Only took exactly what I made myself take...usually about 1 1/2 to 2 per day of my prescribed 3x daily dose.

I explained to him how he should clean up his life and get away from chasing the pain meds. He, just like everyone else, suffered from that same tolerance problem. After a while, he couldn't tell he was even taking anything opiate-related. I told him to find a suboxone doctor... and at first he didn't even ask me to share anything with him. It was later, he came back and said he discussed it with his attorney (going into an addiction treatment program) and his attorney advised against it because of the pending lawsuit with the police..and it would likely cause him to lose disability that he was trying to get. That is when he hit me up..he had been in withdrawals from that really strong opiate ..not oxy but the newer one..like zohydro or something close to that..
He was sweating profusely when he showed up at my house, begging for help.
In part, I was mad that his primary doctor wouldn't help him..the dr had to know he was dependent and addicted...but instead of prescribing something in the plethora of options..he just let him dry out?!..
That anger, I guess, is what drove me to give him that very first strip.
I explained how it worked..etc...and how it would help. He stayed at my house during the "induction" for lack of better words...
I actually thought I was doing something good.
That turned on me...when I got into the extras that I had saved up..and he managed to get me to give him 10 or 15 each month for the next 3 months..
Then I got word from my neighbor, who was dying of cancer and had opiate meds that were pretty strong..that my "friend" had been trying to buy his pain meds from him.
My "friend" told my neighbor that he was getting sub from me when he couldn't find nothing else, but was still using opiates... and I felt like a F*&**ing idiot.
I didn't say anything though. I waited for that call or text that I KNEW I would be getting from him wanting more Subx. And it finally came. I told him that I was no longer his RX and he would need to find a doctor. Then the same old pity story came..about he was sorry for everything..etc...
That's when I unloaded. I told him I never should've done what I did to begin with..and he didn't want to help himself and that being the case, I couldn't help him either. And now that I had tried, I was getting myself into issues with being short for what I needed to keep myself on that path I've been on..and would just have to deal with it because I couldn't go run to someone and get a few subs until I went back to my dr...I would just have to do it ..and that I thought my sacrifice was something that was helping, but I was only prolonging the inevitable.
Since that time, I've not helped anyone, nor will I ever again. Even with this story being in the paper..my friend was actually kinda heroic in pushing a female nurse out of the way from the gunman, and he took the bullet instead of her being shot..
But none of that matters. We all have our struggles and trials...and I've built a personal "wall" around myself when it comes to my meds that I don't allow anyone to break into.
I've not helped anyone since mid-March when I stopped helping my "friend".
My neighbor, who died of cancer on Sept 6 was very close to me... I knew that guy for 15 years as my neighbor. I watched him right up until he passed away at home..

I've finally come to the conclusion that people will tell you ANYTHING to further themselves...I remember being that way, but for some reason I thought that had changed??? I don't know..it was a huge mistake on my part in judgement.
I finally went for my quarterly dr appointment yesterday and told my doctor that I was close to running out and asked about an increase for the next quarter (3 months) to help get me back in-line ...since my self-control has seemingly been on the brink for the last 6 months or so..
I think stress has a lot to do with most of it. I watched my neighbor suffer and get seemingly worse since June..and by Sept 1, he couldn't even walk. A year ago, he and I were remodeling our kitchen and laying tile flooring together..a year later, he can't even get up to use the restroom..
Other stresses of life in general..I have family living with us (my sister and her 2 kids) that won't help us with anything. She's watched us struggle the past year and we aren't doing well...but she refuses to step up and pitch in..that keeps me entwined in a bubble..or so I feel. I stay in my bedroom 8hrs a day most days..I wrap myself into a video game to get away..and escape..so to speak...so I don't have to confront the issues going on..
All of this..together...has kept me from using the self-control that I KNOW I possess to build up my subs in case something happens (doctor suddenly stops...etc)...
I think my confronting the increasing likelihood of running out with my dr yesterday may have been what I needed mentally to start bouncing back. I felt so much better when I left my appointment yesterday evening...and just stared at the prescription..
My 3 years of not slipping..no mistakes..not even a little bit...has brought me to the point where I can say "Hey doc...I think I need an increase for a little while because I messed up a couple of times and can't seem to get back on track"..
She didn't want to get into the gory details of why and how I messed up..just that I am where I am right now, and need a little "bump" to get back up. She was graciously obliging to my request.

I told my story because I know we all encounter things every day..many of you probably encounter MUCH worse than what I described above..and we make it. We keep pushing forward - because backward isn't an option!!
Maybe this will help someone see that they shouldn't try to be the RX, even for the closest of friends.. because it won't work out. No matter the excuses..or how much you think you're helping..it's really just putting off the inevitable. Don't risk it. I could've been sitting here saying that my friend stole all my meds and I was out with a month left to go before my appointment..so it could've been much worse. But I should've have better judgement on that situation last year. I KNEW better. I did. I had already been through that with another person when I first got on Suboxone tablets...(yeah, THAT long ago)...
You just can't try to help people unless its telling them where to go and get their help for themselves.. I don't have any horror stories with the pharmacy. I deal with the same pharmacy, a local non-chain...individually owned...the best kind!!
I know one of the pharmacists from school. The other, and also owner, is wife to a guy that works with my wife at a power generation plant. So I have a great place to go get all of our meds.
I pay $25 for my subs..if I happen to not have enough ...all I gotta do is say "put that on account for me until pay-day and I'll be back then, please?" and they are happy to do it.

Hope everyone is looking forward to the holidays.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jonathon. I'm so glad you posted your comment on here. Back when I was just a lurker, before I became a member here, I would see your post and comments and say to myself, "That dude's from B-Ham." I remember reading stuff about you and struggles with your mom. And about your poor brother. I cried when I read that. You have been trough a lot since starting Suboxone, and I've read a lot about it. I was hoping you'd come here and post again one day, and low and behold, here you are. I also have a pharmacist similar to yours. Not a chain... Just good people which also allow for family accounts. My family has used this same drugstore since before I was born! You town is a lot bigger than the small town I live in. I am between Atl., Ga. and Auburn, Al, if that gives you an idea. Dude, you are going to have to get out of that room of yours. You can't hide out in there for ever. It's not good for you. We will talk more later if you want. Your forum friend, Bamagirl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have sure seen my share of troublesome times in life, but I try to not let that be something I dwell in. It's not healthy, but I try to use things like my brother's passing as a driving force against heroin. I despise heroin and the effects it has on our people and society..and meth is in that same category. The death and destruction that opiates and meth has doesn't resonate as it should..because it's massive.

For the most part, I've got a pretty good life now. Married for 18+ years.. 4 kids, family and friends..
My youngest daughter was the icing on the cake for me... I spent so many years when my other 3 kids were little chasing a high..and made so many mistakes... then, here comes another baby after I was clean for 5 years...
I spent every waking moment with her when she was born. When my wife got a great job and we decided I would stay home until the baby started school...that was my chance. And I've pretty much taken that opportunity to create a bond with my youngest that is unbelievable. From the time she was an infant and I was up every 2-3 hours doing bottles..till now, 4 years old..and will be 5 in February...
There isn't a place that I've gone that I wouldn't bring my little girl. She goes with daddy everywhere and is like a shadow.

Throughout all the trying times, my focus on maintaining my sobriety has never been sidelined. Not once have I ever allowed myself to succumb to the cravings of that high from opiates that I do NOT miss, not even a little. I think that's the most important factor in maintaining oneself...stay focused. Don't lose sight of the bigger plan/goal. Always remember how little it takes to fall back down, and how fast it can happen. I live with the fear that in less than 2 weeks it would be possible to throw away the hard work of 8 years...and that's what drives me. In just a blink of an eye, essentially, I could relapse hard and fast....but the bigger picture of family and living a life that is whole is more important. My brother paid the ultimate price and I always think "what if I had told him about this medicine"...
But, maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

We all have all the very same stories, some differ a little, but essentially they are sound about the same. We all have our driving forces that keep us in check, and that's what keeps us all going. And discussion helps to show others that it's not so hard, and it's not so different after all..

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:38 pm 

Jonathan I understand ur thoughts on the "what if I'd told my brother about this medication" but I'm sure ur brother knew about it somehow. My nephew, who's 25, is an addict and had been since he was 16. When I started suboxone treatment and realized what a game changer it could be, I convinced him to go with the help of my brother. He went and stayed a patient for about 9 months. Every month he'd go sell his medicine and use it for pills. I got so upset but realized it just wasn't going to sink in on him like it did me. He eventually got kicked out and is bk to the same as he was before. So, even trying, if they aren't ready they aren't ready. I'm very sorry to hear about ur brother also. I fear that's going to be the fate of my nephew also someday.

I also understand ur first post about ppl trying to help ur friend who eventually just took ur kindness and went bk to using. I've been in a position from a friend at my clinic hounding me to borrow medicine because they'd run out early. I felt bad for ignoring them but I can't help anyone like that. That person was relentless though! Txtn me over and over, I just ignored it. I'm sure that wasn't the best way to handle it, by ignoring the calls lol, but there's no handbook that tells ya how to react and I'm unconfrontational so I just stick with giving a silent no. But I understand wanting to help but ya just can't like u said. We can't sabotage ourselves to help someone who could drag us down with em. U made very good points and I relate to u on all of it.

Now to the original thread subject, my pharmacy is pretty awesome. I've been going to that pharmacy for yrs, before I started suboxone treatment. They aren't a chain pharmacy either. They actually stayed open late for me the last 2 months because the Dr was running way late. I just called them and asked and they did. I was very happy because if they hadn't, I'd had to drive another 45 min the next morning to get my medicine. They're always great about my suboxone coupon I have to use and literally do whatever they can to help me.