It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Is It Normal??
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey again guys...thanks to those who answered my question on the last thread! it really means alot.... I am considering all options which would be best for my life and lifestyle thank you so much!... I do have another question though.... I was on 1 mg of suboxone for 6-7 months before trying to jump off over my thanksgiving break last week.... I made it 5 days but I had to return to my dose of sub because I still felt like death after that time and I had to return to work!!... My job is very mentally stressing and I have to be fake for 8 hours because I deal with the people and public.... Is it normal that I want to take higher doses of sub now??.. After I was defeated in trying to jump off I immediately took 4 mg of sub and I felt really really great.... now instead of taking my low dose of 1mg im almost doubling that and sometimes wanting to triple that ... I know this is monstly mental..have any of you experienced this as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It would actually be good if you continued this conversation on the thread you already started. That way readers can get more of your history and thought process before replying. But to answer your question, I'm guessing that after five days off and feeling like crap, taking 2or 4 mg is getting you a little high, am I correct? And that probably feels good after a week of WD. I would take a serious look at why you are wanting to get off Sub and whether you think you are ready. This isnt meant as a criticism, just a reality check. Dr. J outlines a checklist for readiness to stop Sub on his blog. You might want to take a look at it. Also, IMO this is the worst time of year to take such a big step. The holidays are stressful for almost everyone, and most addicts have a lot of triggers around the holidays - so take your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Lillyval is giving you some excellent advice. I too know how it feels to want to be completely drug free, but please make sure you’re ready for this. Sub is a great tool if used properly, it gives us a chance to get the coping skills we need to resist the urges to relapse back into our old lifestyle, like I said before, be sure your ducks are in order before starting to taper. The fact that you're having strong cravings should be a red flag warning you may not be ready for this. I don't mean to be harsh, but, heading into this without doing so is a setup for failure. Don't jeopardize the progress you've made so far, talk to your Subdoc and get back to a stable dose. This is a journey not a race!

Mike

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you guys so much.... Since I was 18 (26now) I've always used alcohol or drugs for one reason or the other... mostly because of the confidence I gain when high.. I thought i was ready to get off this stuff and get ready for the next chapter...but the feeling of emptiness/hollowness I felt last week was a humbling eye opener... I am going to re-think getting off over Christmas.. I am going to taper lower and longer just to make sure theres no chances of set back again...I feel like I set myself back a little by attempting to jump off from 2mg to nothing last week... Because of you guys comments I am strongly going to reconsider.. I honestly, can't remember what it felt like to be drug/alcohol free... I used to give credit to drugs getting me through 5 years of college! how stupid/sad is that!. :(.. Drugs/Partying/Alcohol became my identity as sad as that is!.. and i felt really comfortable with that. Its challenging to face life in your own skin and completely vulnerable... Sub has given me my old self and confidence back. I am very thankful for that.... I just can't help but feel discouraged because I feel like 2.5 years is a long time to be on this medication..but this site has gave me alot of confidence and insight on tapering.. im glad i found this community..thank you guys for the replies and thoughts.