It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Now that it has been over 2 months that I am off sub I am beginning to remember old friends, the people I use to keep in contact with prior to sub, is this normal? I am thinking the years I stayed on sub are a fog and now they are becoming a distant memory. Am asking myself where I have been all this time, anybody feel that too? it is like rebirth material.

by the way I did not get much withdrawal symptoms at all when I jumped off sub, am hoping I wont get PAWS either. Am feeling close to my normal self, like how I was before sub. Emotions are running and am even sleeping well. I think my exercise routines, food and low sub dose played a role.

You have to want it aswell, I managed to keep myself busy, watch movies, go for jogs and spend time with my family, this distracted me from any symptoms.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Tammy,

Are you talking about old "non using" friends or old "let's get high together" friends?

If it's the former, I would say that is completely normal. If it's the latter, I would say it's dangerous territory and would stay away.

Q

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I def think it is normal to revert back to how you were before you started using. Connect with your old friends, as long as they are supportive friends that will help keep you in recovery.

Another thing too, I would look for a hobby to do as well with your time to keep busy. This will keep you interested in something healthy and good.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was referring to people who were involved in my life before I got on the sub, and no not using people, but friends from school, college and uni. When you start opiates you tend to lose contact with non-using people, your stuck in your own little bubble, in my case it was subs, now that am off sub I am curious how my old comrades are doing and want to get in touch with them. It is as though I had gone away on holiday or something while I was on subs. I do know acceptance is important, I need accept I am not in my mid 20s anymore. Damn getting off subs makes some sort of reality creep in, but I like it.

Still no symptoms to speak of. Gone over 2 months now, I feel am getting much better everyday so am hoping PAWS will not come. I have managed to work out everyday and am already getting decent 8 hours sleep. I think some luck played a part and my metabolism, am not use to withdrawals so maybe that is partly why I did not feel any major symptom. I did take a unorthodox way of getting off subs which was to switch to short acting opiate, but I managed to get off that too, it must have cut the sub withdrawal in half or even more. I think it's a combo of a lot of things, but do believe am one of the lucky ones, and am grateful for that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:18 am 

Hi Tammy,

I'm so glad you're feeling good still! I know what you mean about being in a bubble. I was like that when I was abusing pain meds. I barely contacted anybody!

When I decided to own up to my behavior I told my close friends, both old and new, about my addiction and apologized to them if I had done them wrong during active addiction. While I've been on suboxone I've developed new friendships and have remained in close contact with my friends. It feels great to be able to speak honestly with them.

I know that your bubble continued while you were on sub and it's only now that you're reaching out again. My case is a little different, but I know what you mean.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

For me being on the sub was like me being in my own bubble, it did help me not to crave any opiates though.

So am half way to the 3 month mark, still no symptoms or these PAWS people go on about. I feel clearer now and feel content.

Is it really true some get lucky and get off sub easier then others? I know my diet helps, drinking lots of water and getting regular sleep, not to forget exercise, could all these things played a big role in eliminating major withdrawals and PAWS? right now I feel decent.