It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Ghost: Didn't your doctor prescribe a specific dose for you? Just curious. You seem to be kind of winging it on your dose. When I got on suboxone, my doctor told me to take 8mg in the morning and 8mg at night, and I did as he instructed and felt great.

Hope you're doing well!

Also, if you plan on tapering, just keep in mind that the easiest and most comfortable method for most people is a long, slow taper. Check out the "Stopping Suboxone" forum on this site for more information on that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I gotta tell ya the internet is a fantastic place to have all your questions answered. Screw LAVA LIFE, this is where you go to meet your soul mates....mind you we are all a little tormented....but that is what makes us wise!!
I read that you are beginning to stabilize your dose this weekend and seemed to be like someone said "winging it". I am surprised if that is the case but if it is then, for sure dose in intervals, and try not to exceed 8mg a day in increments of 2mg every 4-5 hours. Lower if possible. You can even break the 2mg in half and dose 1mg at a time every 2 hours and then go to 2mg every 4 hours after you've hit 4mg total and see how that treats you until you've reached 8 mg for the day.

It is true that buprenorphine works best in lower doses so... if you can skate on 8mg great! It was true for me atleast, that after about 4 days my dose was pretty stable that is to say I was feeling the same through out the day right through until my next dose the following day. And I dosed at 4mg and stepped up in doses of 2 every 3 hours until I reached 12 mg. My doc wanted me to start treatment at 16mg/day. I started at 8AM and my last 2mg was at 8PM I felt pretty solid compared to what I went through the day before and how I felt when I started. I ended up staying at 12mg.

Buprenorphine is an incredibly potent opiate even as a partial agonist. Most likely the strongest that any of us have ever done. (If you need to learn more about this Doc Junig can fill you in on this site) It's effects also last a lot longer than most other opiates. It's half life is how it stabilizes in your system even at lower doses, but it's effects are of a shorter duration. This is why multi dosing is good for some people. Both full on single dosing and multi dosing (to the same level in a day) worked for me. But I tried to harness some of the analgesic effects of bupe as I have a couple pain management issues, and so I find that the spreading out doses helps me with that. :D

As far as the headaches, they are fairly common. I had them like clock work for the first 2 weeks almost. I used motrin xstrength to nip that in the budd. Struggled with bouts of insomnia a little bit in the first 2 weeks too....but there are aids to help with that....check with your doc and make sure you remember to to tell him/her exactly what you are feeling, both good and bad. I will tell you this, I am 2 months on subs after a habit of 12 years, which started out on prescribed T3s went to Percs and then oxy.... took about 9 years to get to where I was out of control, then chewing and swallowing 320-400mgs oxy/day and eventually was snorting that much a day. This resulted in me being on a stable dose of 12mg Suboxone/day for about 6 and 1/2 weeks, and I can and am getting by on 6-8mg/day after playing with my dose for a week and a bit.

Good for you figuring out that Naloxone was possibly responsible for the headaches. It never even crossed my mind. I just rode it out with the Motrin staple and they eventually fucked off. Thankfully they are gone, I sleep like a champ, bowels are regular as the rising sun and I, like you are now, are on the road to recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey !.just a quick update for everyone!.I am doin ok so far....i am still at my 8mg a day!...4 in the morning and 4 at evening time!.One member had asked if i was winging it?......well,.what I was told.which wasnt in very much detail,.was to take4mg......see how I felt.if it was not enough...take 4 more mg's.but not to exceed 12mg a day!..Is it true I am supposed ot,.or more the better term.recommended to take my dose at 1 single time a day?........

I feel good so far about starting on sub...but man!!.I am under unbeleivable stress and upheaval in my current state!
I am in quite a bit of debt with my landlord and am in danger of being evicted from my residence.......along with a job that has driven me almost crazy in the last cpl of months due to the deadlines and stress involved!..........now........with all this.........I also owe back taxes!...nice huh?.......well anyway......My elderly parents.who are in their 70's.know about my addiction and my current....more determined goal to recover,.want me to pick up and relocate with them to PA!. To mainly get my life back together and to ensure a close support system fo rme!.My lil brother(38yrs) who lives with them and is on disability due to severe internal hemmeroids!.......we have always been close, me and my brother!.........BUT!!..in the past...he has given me,.......when I pestered him enough........a oxy here or there along with a perc here or there.....sometimes several at a time!........well,......I am worried about that situation along with my Father,.who takes percs for his back and spinal disk probs!.........so!!!!!>I am worried, stressed and scared to death about giving up here in NC and moving to PA with them and being in a household that has two relatives living there with medical pain problems and who are prescribed opiate painkillers on a reg basis!......I KNOW they are in the house and it scares me!.....sort of.............I mean............I am happy on the sub so far and have had no REAL cravings for painkillers since I was first inducted.......but........I am also worried that......"will I find a sub doc up there?".."what if I taper and quit too soon?"....I am sure to be tempted living in a household or near my family who takes opiates!..Which.I KNOW!.is a shitty way to look t it.....but I feel like I need time to recover and am not mentally ready for a move to a comletely new area..with no friends whatsoever.........sober or not.....which I have told all the peeps in the local area...that I am done with the pills and I no longer will speak to them or have ANY contact if they ever mention those things to me!....I have also told my dealer.......that i am goin clean and no longer want to purchase ANY more from him and not to contct me!!
What do ya guys and gals think about my situation?...........I like where i live and it IS the best damn place to ride a motorcycle in the US!.I think anyway!..and motorcycling brings me ALOT of passion and joy!!............With al;l this said...I am so not sure wht to do!..........I think if I tried really hard I could maybe some how.........manage to work things out to where I could stay at my job......although I have been out of work for a week and told them I was sick!......and maybe..maybe I could work it out with my landlord or find a cheaper place to live while I pay down my debts.....inc the IRS!
WOW!!>....what a spot I am in huh?.........I am scared and worried..........and..........ALSO VERY SAD.because I really dont want to be forced to move along with the fact that I am not even a week into sub treatment and recovery and am not sure I am mentally ready to be plucked from my comfort zone and a place that I have pretty much happily called home for the last 13 years!>.....................what ya"ll think?...........I am so stressed out and sad.....for the fact that I am gonna be made to move back in with my parents and to a town and city I am not sure i like or WANT to move to!..............I also worry about any problems in transfering my sub treatment to another doctor up there,.or will I even BE ABLE to?........Given the different ways that sub Docs operate their practices!?.................someone give me their thoughts or opinion on wht they think?...........I am not excited about living in a household that contains my fave DOC and being plucked away from a area that I love to ride my bike in.....to move to a place that has alot of straight, boring,.pothole filled roads!!.hahahaha
In some ways though.mybe I do need a change of scenery and a new slate so to speak!.........but in my heart...I feel like I wont be happy there!........but I must say...I am def glad I started subs..........and i have alot to learn about how to take them efficiently or correctly,..but I have a lot of questions written down for my doc's appointment this friday!.........

But I am DEF worried that i am not mentally ready for such a move and all that will come with a new area.....with NO friends,.and a house containing 3-4 bottles of oxy a month!...please........advise or chime in and tell me what ya think!......

Ghostrider

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Ghost,

Wow, you sound great, congradulations!!

As far as your moving delema, all I can say is I live with my to parents who both use, and it is the hardest thing I have going for me right now. It is so hard to no there are all the pills I want down stairs and I can't take them, trust me some days I lay in bed, with my mouth watering! But my parents also get them prescribed and the streets so I have to deal with the dealers at the house, scams for extra pills, and they even have asked me to call my hook ups when they can't find things.

Although your Dad seems to be only taking them for medical reasons maybe it will be easier. Also they seem supportive of your recovery. Even though my parents say they are you can tell they are so caught up in there own addictions thats all that matters.

You really sound great and positive, I believe you will make the best choice. Making a list of pros and cons has always helped me. Also, I would definatly look into sub dr.'s there before anything, and have counciling lined up also, so you will have it in place already and start off on the right foot right away. Good luck and keep us posted!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks hancal!.yeah.I am def worried about the temptations even though both my brother and Father take em for medical reasons!..........but lkike i said...i have talked my brother into giving me some at times where I ran out!.......i seriously doubt though after the last bout I had with them here recently,.that either one will relent and give me any,.and would hopefully hide them very well.............but see......that is my point.............I ...at this early stage in recovery......am worried that I will become overwhelmed with thoughts and temptations...and still think I will be at some point searching the house for them!
At this point also.....I am not sure wether I am taking a big enough dose of sub really...I mean.......it seems like before 12 hrs rolls around(i take 4mg twice daily)....I am getting sweaty, flush feelings with tension in the back of my neck...mild headache....etc.......alll symptoms of withdrawl!.....But I guess I will have to talk to my doc about it!....seems like even if i took a higher dose once a day....it would be wearing thin near the 24hr mark!.............isnt it the goal to have consistant levels of sub in you so that you do not feel withdrawl?..........I mean....I DO feel 100% better than when I was using,............and dont really have cravings for the oxy.........nor do I really want it!,...but It Does feel like I am having mild withdrawl symptoms before my next dose.with in say.........10-11hrs/............or mybe alot of it is in my mind!...??

Anyway...I dont know what to do as far as moving!........I dont wanna hurt my familys feelings by telling them I dont wanna be around them quite yet because they take painkillers and I know they WILL be in the house!
But!!....I am in quite a pickle because I have to start, either packing up and planning on moving,.......or go back to a job temporarily tht stresses me out but will help me catch up on my bills and make staying in a comfortable place for my recovery possible!..hahaha...what a shitload of decisions I need to make in such a short timespan!!........and my family just doesnt understand right now,.....that........trying to concentrate and focus on recovery!.....I dont think anyone who has NOT gone through this kind of shit could never understand how it Early recovery and sobriety) F*cks with your head and mental facilities!......I try to explain that it feels like my head is a coffee pot and the coffee just keeps brewing and brewing and finally spills over the edge of the carafe!.haha

Anyway.I better jump off and get some more of this stuff ready to put up on ebay!...I am selling some of my old M/C gear that I dont wear anymore,............to maybe help save my spot here and pay some of my back rent!
Also.....I have not really been able to sleep much or do i really want to.haha......it feels so good to be able to clean the house and do lil home projects without worrying wether I haad enough oxy in my hand to keep driving me to complet the task!......I am doin it with motivation of being free from those lil white devils!.....just kinda sad...because I might bne doin all this for nothing....because I may be evicted soon!......which brings me to another point.and I will be brief....I was on Lexapro about 8 years ago as I was goin thru a shitty relationship and need some help with serious stress and depression!..my question is......I went to my family doc and asked if he would prescribe me a few months of it,.because I felt it really helped me get thru that shitty time in my life.good/bad idea??? thoughts?...........thanks so much for the continued support my friends!!!...............GHOSTRIDER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well,....it has been a few months since my last reply...and I just want to holla at everyone and let ya know.I did it.......I moved...........it has been a pretty good thing!!.I have a new job that doesnt stress me to the bone,.....even thought the pay is a lil lower!...its still all good!...I am enrolled in a Out patient recovery program and go to a group meeting once a week and am on a 16mg dose a day and doing well.

ALthough I have a few sppedbumps I am dealing with...........it seems that I am experiencing the nasty effects of rumatoid(sp?) arthritis now that I am off painkillers and the Sub does well at releiving the pain..........but I am kinda wanting to up my dose to 24..........2 films in the morning and 1 in the eve to help with the pain....otc meds just dont do it for me!.........also....Walmart pharmacy is ,...I think.......playing games with me...........my Doc made a mistake on my script.and shorted me A DAY................so he faxed it in yesterday.........even left me a voicemail and told me that he did fax it in............well...I called the pharm.............and they say they dont have anything.no fax..no nothing...........I am wondering if it is a (let him sweat it) type of bs game they are pulling on me.............because thurs or Friday.the nurses called there to see if they actually did fill the correct amount for me, trying to figure out why I was short on meds.
I see my Doc on Tues 5pm and I will be out of meds tonight, if I keep going with my reg doses...........IDK??..just needed to vent a lil and update this thread.............hope everyone else is also doing well and hopefully doesnt have the pharmacy pulling bs games on them................I hope it is just a doc mistake.but cant see how?...........he said he faxed it in.............one question is............Can this med be CALLED in or does it HAVE to be FAXED in in PA??,,,,,,just wondering.................anyhow.......sorry for the rant and rambling on............hopefully now that I am settled in my new job and all,...........I can aprticipate and add my experiences and make contributions to the forum on more of a reg basis now!..................glad you guys and gals were here for me in the beginning also.....it helped alot.........Ghostrider

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good to hear from you. Glad you are doing well!

I'd be willing to bet that it's the pharmacy that screwed up and not your doctor's office. My pharmacy cannot seem to process any phoned-in orders without screwing it up or just plain losing it. Might be the same thing with you.

I'm glad to hear the sub is helping your pain. When it comes to pain management, sub only lasts about 4-6 hours, so you should be dosing 2-3 times per day. Personally I take 8 mg 2-3 times per day, depending on my pain. Hope this helps. Thanks for the update.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Glad to hear things turned out ok and you made it back home to your folks. Yes sub can be called in or faxed.....just as a general rule....never use Wal=mart. Just my opinion but they definitely have problems......with all prescriptions. I always get my sub filled at CVS but I have heard many horror stories about them to. It always seems like the mom and pop pharmacies are the best becasue they truly get to know you and work with you.

How is the fact that opiates are in the house affecting your recovery? I know it has to be tough but I am glad to see you are in PA and appear to be with a new sub doctor. How is that going? So many times we hear from someone starting out and we get intrested in their recovery and we never hear from them again. Glad you posted. If things don't work out you know that 4mg is the ceiling and if you reduce your dose you should be all right until your doctor's appt. Good Luck and I am glad to hear your update.

Jim