It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:40 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

A question for those who are also recovering from alcohol addiction...(or anyone...my belief is a drug is a drug is a drug...)
What do you think about someone in recovery, esp. with alcohol as their doc, drinking Beck's "non" alcoholic beer? It has very little alcohol in it, the bottle says 0.5%....but I'm curious as to what is the opinion out there...is it a slippery slope? Is it really just for the taste? Does it cause a trigger possibly?, is it viewed as a problem perhaps? Or is it no big deal?

thanks

Post subject: It's alcohol
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I first got sober I proposed this to my sponsor and he first said......it has alcohol in it and why do you want to drink it? It makes sense to me......no matter how small the alcohol is in the beverage it's still alcohol and could lead to the real deal. Being in recovery means staying away from those behaivors, friends, people, places and things. I just don't see where drinking a non-alcoholic beer is going to do anything but give the appearance to others that you are not drinking. I personally choose to abstain from anything related to alcohol. For me beer was an acquired tasted and I just don't see where drinking a non alcoholic beer is good recovery. Just my opinion. I think its like that stuff people are buying at head shops that is not marijuana but gives the appearance that it is........It is silly......my 14 year old nephew used to carry a cell phone that did not work.....but in his eyes he had a cell phone. Silly...Silly.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:37 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I ask the question because its my sponsor- and she has 17 years sober. I found her drinking it the other night. I didn't say anything to her, doubt I will. But to me it is old behavior in a sense...and really, is it THAT good that she needs to drink it? Her tolerance is probably pretty low at this point and she is a small woman maybe she does get a buzz from it. I'm not about to try it so who knows.
Thanks for responding....I have my opinion on this but always looking to see if there are different ways I should approach it, or things I'm not thinking about. But this, along with some other behaviors make me wonder if she's the best fit for me as far as sponsors go....my guess is no...

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Chinagirl,

The situation you describe strikes me as "dangerous". I just imagine myself taking a pill or drink that has a small amount of opiate in it, why would I do that? For me, that would be playing with fire. She might be OK for the moment, but I think it'll catch up with her.

We addicts are so damn good at convincing ourselves that we can 'handle' certain things.....until it blows up in our faces.

Post subject: Hey China !!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:00 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I cannot understand why a sponser ( your sponser ) would drink a non-alcoholic beer with you around.. I'm sure she still has a lot of good AA in her, why dont you discuss this with her without taking her inventory, maybe you can help her a little, ask her if it dosent scare her to drink it... this may be just the thing to bring the 2 of you closer.... always remember, where on the outside looking in at someones life... 17 yrs sober is a long time, Mike