It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:00 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I wanted to know how you guys feel about Seroquel. I was prescribed it for a short period of time for extreme anxiety back when I was opiate free. I was opiate free for about one year when I tried it and it really made the anxiety go away, but it also made me sleep all day too. That is why I stopped taking it.

I was just wondering what role it could play in a taper and in the first few weeks after the jump. I know I am going to ask my doctor when I am ready to jump for some comfort meds, but I want to do it right. No benzos or marijuana this time. I plan on jumping in the summer.

I am going to take orgo chemistry in the summer for 8 weeks, but when I am done with the class I will have about a 4 week break until the fall semester starts again. I want to plan a methodical taper and make the leap of faith in this small window of time. I can't wait to be off sub and I am very exited at the thought of doing this, but at the same time still love taking sub for maintanence. Sub really helps with anxiety to for me, but there is nothing like being drug free. I love the feeling of sobriety because it is such raw feeling, and youre not all numbed up I guess.

I posted some personal info about my past addiction here if you like to read on. I like to type about my past because it is therapeutic for me, as it makes me think about my past. It is like reliving it, and I need to remind myself that I can't ever use again.

I always think about tapering and doing it the right way and anything that can help make it easier. There was a brief period when I quit opioids CT, that I sort of had a mental break down you can say. After a good 18 month period of opioid use. I would call my use back then a serious chipping habit, that consisted of 4 days of use and 3 days of WD per week. I would use every chance I get, and would take large amounts of opioids always.

I was always chasing that big high. This is how it was when I was 19-21 when it came to opioid misuse. Anyways, lets get to the topic. After using for 18 months like this I managed to quit CT with the help and support of my family. I was miserable with PAW for the first 6 months. Then I started to feel different, and started to get these funny weird feelings of an energetic euphoria that seemed eerily similar to the manic symptoms of bipolar. I was never bipolar to my knowledge. So around the 6 month I sort of felt high from my success in quitting opioids, I felt happy to be alive and opioid free.

I even started going to church with my grandmother, and before that, I haven't been to church in 6 years. Long story short, something happened to me shortly after that made me start smoking cigarettes again (also quit smoking ciggs) and drinking alcohol. In a matter of a few weeks I was a total mess. I wasn't drinking heavily or often but it triggered something that sort of made me lose my mind. Keep in mind that I was going thru some personal turmoil from some insecurities of feeling like a loser and a big failure in life. It also didn't help to have my father call me a useless piece of shit when I forgot to take out the garbage; that's just how he is with his words, despite being a very loving, caring, and generous man underneath the total asshole image he has as a person.

Ive dealt with verbal abuse my whole life and it has effected me in so many levels, but if I tell my dad this, Im just making excuses to him for my mistakes. I don't like to blame him for my problems, but he is responsible for some of my depression, which led to self medicating, but this is just another excuse to him. Anyways, I became a little psychotic over some OCD symptoms I had and went to a psychiatrist and got prescribed Seroquel. I only stayed on it for a few weeks and quit because it made me sleep 17 hours a day.

I literally couldn't function. I also read about the diabetes risks, and just stopped taking it and never returned to my psychiatrist again feeling betrayed. I wish I would of went back and tried a new medication, as it may of prevented my future relapse which was to come three months later. After this relapse in Dec 25, 05 my use was on and off and then on again in a big way until my suboxone induction in july 7, 07.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So...you are asking people for what non-addictive meds they've used during withdrawals?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:30 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Seroquel has helped me with my taper for sleep. I have used 25-50 mg and take it about an hr before bedtime.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: For Sleep...........
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:50 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

My Dr. has me on a drug called Trileptal.. I take 75mg in the morn. and 75mg 2 hours before bed.. The only thing I've used to help me sleep while tapering off sub. It's also the ONLY drug I use now besides sub. As soon as I quit taking 20-50mg tramadols a day I had sleep issues, DA !! This medication has been around forever, $3.00 per month for me in generic, my Dr. told me I would NOT be able to get off sub. without it, Works Great !!!!

Good to hear from you Hawker1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was on seroquel for about 9 months and once I got it into my system I didnt have the sleepiness that I had when I intially took it. But I gained few pounds and my doctor told me he was switching my to abilify. Abilify works the way seroquel works with minimal side effects. My mood is better and I don't feel like Im in a fog everyday. even though I didnt have serious side effects from seroquel, I still had some unwanted effects, Now things are much better! I used it for the theraputic value and for sleep since I don't sleep while im taking suboxone. Im not sure if this goes along with the original post, But I thought Id give my input on taking seroquel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

What's up Mike! Trileptal eh? What is it for? Energy?

Post subject: Answer to hawker1
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:10 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't personally have any experience or know very much about Seroquel, but anything that can assist you in getting to sleep during your period of withdrawal is going to be valuable to you. The insomnia is one of the worst side-effects of the withdrawal, and sometimes can be one of the most long-lasting from what I've noticed and read, but the first 4-5 days are the absolute worst and are the days when you're going to be wanting to get sleep the most. For me in my past experiences with withdrawaling, I tried Xanax, Melatonin, Tylenol PM and Benadryl (not all at once, of course!) The xanax seemed to help me sleep at first, but didn't really clear up as much anxiety as I was hoping it would, but maybe I wasn't taking enough. I've heard as far as Benzos go, that Valium is the most effective one for treatment during withdrawal, but of course, you always want to be careful and use the minimum amount that you can/have to as Benzos are also highly addicting and withdrawal from them has been said to be far worse than opiate withdrawal. The Xanax only had mild success with helping me sleep, but I was also taking it earlier in the night as I hoped it would relieve some anxiety as well as help me eventually fall into a slumber, so maybe if I were to be taking it closer to when I was getting tired/winding down for sleep it would have been more effective. Melatonin is kind of hit or miss, in the past, before opiate withdrawals or anything, when I had used to it just to treat my general insomnia it would sometimes work wonders and sometimes seem to do nothing at all. It did help me with sleep at least a few nights during withdrawal, I think ( but can't remember exactly ) in combination with Benadryl. I've also heard a lot about this combination being effective. Benadryl and Tylenol PM both have Diphenhydramine (sic) (or is it Diphenhydrinate? can never remember) which is an anti-histamine and mild sedative. A lot of people do swear by it and use it to help them fall asleep, I have not heavily experimented with it but from my small experience with using it to aid sleep it has seemed to mostly help, especially in conjunction with Melatonin as I mentioned earlier. You may also want to look into herbal teas, such as Valerian root, Chamomile, Lavender & Skullcap. Those all have a calming/sedating effect and have been known to be a very useful aid in sleep, I've heard drinking a cup of one or a mixture of all of these and taking around 5-7mg of Melatonin about an hour before you're ready to go to sleep, but after you've already settled down and curled up into bed with minimal lighting is effective in knocking you out when you've been struggling to sleep.

I hope these suggestions and advice can help you. I would say if you have access to Seroquel and don't mind it's side-effects too much then hold on to it for when you are going off/withdrawaling from Suboxone, as anyything to aid sleep is going to be your best friend during those times. Best of luck! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

In the UK Diphenhydramine is the active ingredient in an OTC product called Nytol, which is a sleep remedy.It comes in 2 sizes, 250 mg tabs and a super size 500 mg. I tried it back when I was using, and it worked pretty well when used as directed i.e. 250-500 mg just before retiring to bed. I dropped off to sleep within minutes and woke feeling refreshed and good. Bear in mind that I was loaded that night and had some gear to smoke upon w\zaking so w/d wasn't an issue. So, being a junkie, the following night I took 6 of the damn things to see what would happen. Well, I didnt sleep very well at all, and spent most of the next day feeling really creeped out and jittery. So I don't know how much use it would be during a withdrawal situation as the box got slung in the trash that day. There is also a herbal version of this product which contains NO Diphenhydramine. It does NOTHING for me.
Over here, Xanax is prescribed as a 'safer' alternative to Valium.Before my addiction I had short term depression, and my Dr prescribed some antidepressants ( dont remember the name) and some small Xanax tablets to help me sleep.I think there were about 20 x10 mg pills in the Xanax pack, all of which I took at once with 4 cans of very strong beer ( 10% alcohol by volume). I woke the next afternoon not quite sure what planet I was on, and swore never again.
A lot of addicts here use benzos to sleep when withdrawing, or even just for fun, to nod off better I guess. Those Clonazepam things ( Klonopin?) are pretty rare on the street so most ppl take Valium, especially the blue ones which are the strongest. Also popular is the good old Wobbly Egg, or Temazepam Jelly cap. This is a green thing shaped like a rugby ball, or a football to you guys. I hate taking these drugs as they seem to blank my memory of the previous 24 hours prior to taking, and take ages to wear off after waking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

ape0567 wrote:
I was on seroquel for about 9 months and once I got it into my system I didnt have the sleepiness that I had when I intially took it. But I gained few pounds and my doctor told me he was switching my to abilify. Abilify works the way seroquel works with minimal side effects. My mood is better and I don't feel like Im in a fog everyday. even though I didnt have serious side effects from seroquel, I still had some unwanted effects, Now things are much better! I used it for the theraputic value and for sleep since I don't sleep while im taking suboxone. Im not sure if this goes along with the original post, But I thought Id give my input on taking seroquel.

Hey Ape... I also don't like the side effects of seroquel and would like to try something different. I'd be interested in what dose you were on when you switched to Ablify... and got the better results. I'm also told Seroquel has a negative effect on libido... which is a problem I have... was that something you also dealt with?

Thanks.