It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: NODDING
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all!
I am new to Suboxone, about a week, and I have come to the conclusion I am on too high a dose of Suboxone. I was prescribed 12-16 mg a day and I was under the assumption that since I was taking the film strips I could cut them in thirds and take the total 12 mg like that. Well come to that conclusion dosing 3 times a day is not a good thing and actually promotes an additive behavior, and NODDING!
While I have only been on Sub for a week at 12 mg I found that maybe 8 mg cut in half twice a day may be better in the long run. I will try it w/my new script I get today and start on the 8 mg tomorrow. Hope it works, I know other than feeling extreemly tired the past couple of days, while I have been taking the suboxone I have been clean off pills for a week w/no cravings. I also turned down Oxy's from an old friend who was giving them away for free. So I know this stuff works.
I just hope that I can taper down to zero by Christmas and be free of opiates all together. Suboxone has only been in my life a short while, but I am extremly greatful for it!
If anyone has any opinions about this or a taper plan I could use I would greatly appreciate a comment.

Thanks, and God Bless,

RMAD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey man glad to hear that you have made it the first week through Sub treatment which is always the hardest week in my eyes. But as how you are felling that will dissipate over time once you get use to the meds. But you def need to keep your Dr updated on what is going on so he can help you as much as possible. As of how high of dose you are on plays a big role with your addiction if you don’t mind getting into that we might be able to help you a little more. The more Info you give us the more we can help usually.

As of looking into a taper plan I don’t want to get you down but I would try to get a little more stable on Sub and put some time under you belt before you start looking into taper plans and what not. Most of all you def should ask your Dr about what he thinks a good taper would be for you. I mean I some Sub Dr do a 13 days program and you are drug free other Dr believe you will be on it for life and all in bewteen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Bboy,
Thanks for responding. I did talk to my sub dr today and we discussed he options I am facing right now. He also mentioned I needed to get stable on he meds before I look int a taper plan. I am by no means wanting to get off suboxone in 13 days, but I want to know my options if I were to want to get off at anytime.
As for he nodding, my dr said that it was just a crazy week on my body and all the getting used to a new drug, and the mental issues I am going thru right now. I am completely honest with my dr and I will be w/the forum as well. I have nothing to hide, I was a pill popper and there is nothing else to it. I loved the euphoric feeling popping 60 mg of oxy and 30 Oxycodone at a time and just feeling like the world was tops! Then I would come crashing down and look for that fix all over again. Until I started running out of $$.
That's my story. Now on subs I feel normal again. I know I have a long way to go and all the support I can get will be great.
Thanks for the response Bboy. Hope to hear back from you from time to time.

Rmad

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Considering that you only just started your treatment, I'd suggest not even thinking about when you need to be off it yet. You haven't even stabilized yet! And it's too soon, so you don't yet know what triggers, cravings, and issues, etc, that you'll start to face once you start dealing with life without pills to turn to. Wait and see how things go and spend some time getting to know yourself again and figure out what your life needs and how you need to go about fixing things to live without drugs. Plus Dr. Junig has shared studies with us that indicate short term treatment with suboxone (less than a year), especially in someone under 30, has an extremely high rate of relapse.

I just think you should take things such as this into consideration and give yourself a couple of months at least before you start giving yourself deadlines. Once you're off suboxone, those physical (i.e. VERY REAL) cravings will come crashing back. Use your time on suboxone to prepare yourself to deal with such things. That's just my two cents.

And yes, dosing is best once per day. It's just so we can get out of the habit of taking something every time we feel we need to to. As for your dose, if you feel fine - no w/d and no cravings - on 8 mg, then great. If you're still sleepy on that amount, you could even try 6. But if you start feeling either w/d or cravings - stop dropping your dose and maybe even go back up where you were the most comfortable.

If you take less than prescribed, this is a good way to set aside a few extra suboxone for a rainy day. Many of us do it. This way we don't have to worry about perfect timing for doc appts and pharmacy visits, or emergencies.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: DOSING
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Bboy,
So I went to my Dr yesterday, this is what I love about the program I am in, was in and out in 15 minutes. With my script and a heap of knowledge about how I have been dosing and what he thinks is the right dose for me. I told him I was taking 3-4 doses a day, but keeping it at 12 mg for the day. He said that was fine for the first month and that they expected us to be doing that so we'd get comfortable with the medication and pinpoint a dose that best suited me. I thought it just showed an addictive behavior taking 3-4 dosses a day, but my Dr said once I am stable and on a good enough dose then we will talk about lowering the doses and come up with a plan on how long I will need to be on Subs. He said its about 1/2 the time I was on pills, so I was using for 3 years, so 1 1/2 years is my target for how long I will need to be on Suboxone. Some are less, its just how your body reacts to the treatment and if the person stays on course.
I am 36 years old. I have a nice home, steady job, 2 wonderful little girls and a wife that loves me very much. I am not doing this just for me. I am doing it for my family and all I have to be thankful for. I dont think I will ever look back to pills for those reasons alone. I wanted to try Suboxone for the last year of my abuse, I wanted a way out. I know I am far from being out of the woods and that Sub w/d are hell too, but I am willing to do whatever it takes to turn my life around and start living a normal life.
I know I shouldn't think about tappering off the sub right now, but I am a control freak. I like to know all my options up front. I like to know the exit plan before the war begins, just in case something goes wrong. Thats just me. Like you said, and like my Dr. said I need to be stable first. So that is what I am doing now. Started my next dose at 8 mg a day, 2 times a day taking 4 mg in the morning and 4 in the evening. We'll see how this works, I think it will.

Thanks again for the advise Bboy. TTYL

RMAD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hatmaker, thanks for the advise too! You guys are a great help in my life, knowing there are people out there willing to help out a stranger gives me hope.

Thanks guys!
RMAD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey man i am on my cell phone it is taking for ever for all the post to totally load but i did not for get about you or you thread i will get back to you as soon as i can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey man thanks for taking a little time to share some information on your addiction and life. I think your Dr is right as into getting you stable as in finding the right dose and go from there, it is def too early to start thinking about a taper plan I understand being a control freak I am diagnosed with OCD. But like HAT said you need to take some time on Suboxone to start understanding what life will throw at you with out the pills as in triggers, cravings and it is time to find out who is a friend and who isn’t. One thing I wanted to point out to you I can understand wanting to get clean not just for yourself but others who are close to you and mean the world to you. But always remember with addiction you have to put yourself first with your recovery because you have to do it for yourself first than for others. As of dosing 3 to 4 times a day that is in no way addictive behavior many people dose more than one time a day I am no longer on SUboxone cause I switched to methadone for better pain management but I use to dose anywhere from 2 to 5 times a day on bad days. And as of trying to find a taper on the forum take in what you read but follow the taper plan your Dr sets for you before you try anything else because he works with addiction and people in recovery all day I assume and will def know what is best for you when the time comes.

But more than anything congrats man keep up the great work I bet your family is so proud of you and we are all proud of you too on the forum. Please keep us updated any questions you have ask right away we are all hear to help eachother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey everyone :)
I just wanted to expand a bit on my experience with dosage changes. I have found that anytime I would change dosage (both increase and decrease) I would end up being very tired several days later and I would have a hard time staying awake. I did find though that after my dr. and I decided on a correct dosage (I'm currently at 8mgs 1x daily) after a week or so of taking the exact same dosage of medication at the same time everyday for the same amount of time I no longer dealt with drowsiness. I again stress how important it has been for me to find a time everyday (normally right after I get home before dinner) and then I follow dr. Junig's suggested dosing method since I still take the subutex tabs and I leave the medication in for 30mins and then I swallow what's left and wait about 30mins-1hr before I eat, drink, or brush my teeth. The times I've made even minor changes to that routine I can notice an increase of side effects: drowsiness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Bboyy, Matt

Hey guys! Thanks for the input today! It all is taken in stride and I try to utilize every bit of it! Bboy thanks for thinking of me today and not forgetting about the thread.
But dot think it's a priority to post something everyday. I know how life gets and how busy it can be at times so by no means am I sitting waiting for a comment to come across.
But it is great to hear from you!
Matt, welcome to the thread! Dozing is my weakest part of the recovery. I know where I need to be but I find myself at times taking the suboxone the same times I took my pills everyday and I feel like I am following the same pattern sometimes with this new medication. And I for sure don't want to get a dependance for this stuff! It is strictly a preventative maintenance drug for me on my way to a healthy recovery and for me to start a new. I feel if I dose 2-3 times a day it will be easier to cut one out and lower my dosage when it comes time for a taper. But for now I am on 8 mg total a day. 4 in the morning and 4 at night. It seems to be my mg dosage and is working well. My dr says I am a prime example of a suboxone patient and is happy my first week went as planned. He'll I am surprised how well it went! I am currently 12 days free of pills and happy! Tonight I took the family to the zoo for music and a picnic with my parents and a few other family members and I just looked at all of them and thought to myself--no way if I were still on pills would I be here!-- I felt so proud to see my kids happy and my wife happy to be around ms and us not fighting all the time. It just felt so good! A feeling I haven't felt in a long time! A feeling I want to keep on feeling! And I owe it to my faith in God and suboxone! Hahaha!
It's a great way to end the night. Escaping on what I have to look forward to and for what I already have!
God bless you all and good night!

Post subject: Dosing
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:10 pm 

Rmad,

I am one of those who get really tired/sleepy while taking the Sub. Started at a high dose too of 24mgs and am now at 4. I was at 2mg's but due to huge personal changes, ie: retirement, moving, buying a house, I decided I felt better at the 4mg's. Plus now I need to see a new Sub doc here in my new city.

But the point of my message is that even on 2mgs, I still felt that crazy nodding off, sleepy feeling. Surely not as bad as the higher doses but still there. BTW, my Dr's nurse keeps telling me that it's something else, not the Sub. We all know better here from all the posts about it. Shows you just how much the professionals really know about Bup.

One suggestion I will make is to take your Sub only once per day. I had split it into two when it got down to the lower dosage, but reading others posts here changed my mind...for the better.

And I agree with everyone else about being on it long enough to recover. Dr. Junig suggests at least six months to a year minimum.

So Welcome here and I wish you a successful recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh it is all good man I don’t look at it as a priority I just wanted to get back to you because I know how hard the first week can be. As of taking your dose the same time as you did while in active addiction is not a bad thing I did the same thing and still do the same the same thing with methadone it is just how we got about our schedules for the day and like you said you are a control freak so you prolly stick to your routine just like me and my ocd lol. And you should be fine splitting your dose I know some say it is better to take it all at once but just try to find what works best for you. and like I said the nodding will go away your Dr is right your body and mind state are going through a lot of changes right now and your body is just adjusting but things will get better they always do as time goes on with recovery.

And isn’t it a great felling man just seeing much more enjoyable things are when you are clean? You never really value the lil things like spending time with your family during addiction but once you are sober they become so much more important. And you will continue to notice good changes as time goes on. anyways keep up the great work and hope to hear more from you soon;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

On the subject of dosing...When it comes to those of us who use sub for pain (like myself and Bboy when he was on it), we dose 2-4 times a day usually. If it's just being used for addiction treatment, ideally one would take it once daily - IDEALLY. The idea behind this is to break the habits we built up in active addiction. You know what I mean - that habit we have of taking something when shit goes wrong or we just feel bad or the day sucks, blah blah blah. If we keep doing that with suboxone, then what's changing? If you can't do the once day dosing right now, at the very least it's a goal to strive for. But one of the things about remission/recovery, in order to move forward and grow, we have to get rid of all those old self-destructive behaviors and form new, healthy ones.

I hope this helps you to understand the whole "how often to dose" thing better.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Welcome rule62,

And hey to Bboy and hatmaker.
Just got back from a 12 hour bachelor party! Whew what a day. Started w/golf in 100 degree weather then Hooters for lunch and then bar hopping the rest of the day.
Do you know how hard it is to hang around people getting plastered off their rockers and just sitting back sipping a Shirley Temple?
It was a blast! Had to go due to it being my brother in law's party and I just wanted to make sure he was ok throughout the day. His friends can get out of control and I really just hung around as long as I did just to make sure nothing got out of hand. Seeing as though we are all 30 something I can't believe we lasts as long as we did, me being the first one to go home, but I think we all are just a little more aware of how things can spiral out of control so we all just took it easy.
I have never been a drinker, pills were my choice of enjoyment, so it wasn't hard to be in an environment like a bar but memories of back in the day when I scored some pills when I ran out of my script and was wd'ing I did end up at a bar to meet someone to fix me. So that was my only thought the whole day about that.
Rule62- I know the presures of life and how easy it could be to turn back to pills. But that isn't an option anymore. Life is just too preceious right now. Thank you for the advise, I will take it and apply it to my recovery.
Bboy- thank you for sharing your thoughts on bow sober lif can be! I am loving it! 13 days and counting. Hardest part of today was being away from my girls and wife but I got lots of love when I came home and it filled my heart! Love it!
Hatmaker-you always have great suggestions. And just to let you know I abide by them a lot. It's great to have people like you in my corner making my recovery that much easier in knowing there is always someone I can go to for advise or just to post a question I know will be answered! You guys are great!

Well off to bed. Wife is headed out of town and I have the girls all day to myself. Just what I needed, some daughter-daddy time! Can't wait. I will probably be
even more tired tomorrow than I am right now! :) but it's worth it!
Good night all! And god bless.

Rmad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just wanted to say you really took a big step by being able to attend a bachelor party and not break into any temptations. Especially this early in treatment it could be real hard to see others high or fucked up as some would say but you made through that all day which says a lot about how bad you want this. And I do have to agree with HAT about the dosing thing if you can do it once is def a great thing. Because a lot of times a 2nd dose can turn into something that is addictive behavior as in the fact that you are looking forward to that 2nd dose per say if you are having a bad day or whatever it maybe, I am not saying this is what you are doing but this has happened to people in recovery on meds like this even if it does not get you high. Even for some people the 1st dose turns into something they look forward to each day and that is just the addictive behavior in us we can’t stop the thoughts but we can CORRECT IT OVER TIME. But remember you are in the early stages of recovery and it is very normal to dose more than once a day so this is something to think about down the road once you are on it for a couple months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Bboy
It was hard. Yesterday that is. But nothing as hard as today was. My wife went out of town fir work and my in laws took my girls so I could get up and be to work on time tomorrow. So I am all alone at home tonight with 10 films calling my name. But I stuck with it. Took my 8 mg today and didn't even look at taking more.
It has taken a lot from me these past two weeks not to go back to my old ways. Some of my best friends I have known for years and are still using are still around asking me to hang out. But I think of the wd's I went through and the time it took to get into the clinic to get on this program and the time off from work I need to take off to complete this recovery, and it all just makes sense. Stick it out, do the right thing for me, and my family. Those friends of mine will always be my friends. I just make it my duty to not engage in what they want me to engage in anymore. I wish I could just not be apart of their lives, but they are like my childhood friends, and if they see me doing good then maybe they will try to better themselves too. In time when I am well again and I am fit enough to try and show them how this worked for me and hoe it can work for them.
It's hard yes. But I wouldn't want to go back to the pain and suffering I put my family through ever again. God has shown me a new path, and I entend to follow it through to the end.
I have stopped thinking about tapering off. I have fully entertained the fact that I need to be on suboxone for awhile. I am setting goals now and I know it's going to take awhile for me to vet better. I know this first month is a trial and error period and after this month is over I think I will have a firm grasp on how I will dose and where I will need to be mg wise. I still feel like I am alittle doppy sometimes and I get short of breath after a dose, but I feel a lot better this week than last. It's all in a matter of time right?
And as for looking forward to a dose, not me. I sometimes take it as far as getting sick before I take my dose. I know this is helping me but I am scared of getting to the point of looking forward to it. I am scared of a lot of things. But I am trying to be positive and look out for my best interests right now.
Damn I miss the wife. Can't sleep w/out my family here! Another test.
Well goodnight Bboy. God bless. Here's to week 3! Thanks for all your input and suggestions!