It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was on 8 mg for most of the run. Decided to quit last Oct.,tapered down to 4,2 1. then I got rid of my stockpile. I have good insurance but I was sick of them. too much thinking about it and all the rest. I am 62 and worked for my self so i signed up for ss. Getting good body chills is the worst. I know it could be worse if I had to work. My mate still works and I will keep house. I finally quit for myself and moved close to gkids. I probably will be tempted to score some thing. But I have been drinking hard and taking drugs since I was 16. Im lucky or something. My daughter in law is a family doc and I havent talked to her about it. Maybe after its over. She sees the battle first hand and its pretty ugly,as she wonders to write scrips when people beg. Feel bad for the state of Ohio. The pilot and wife that died got to me,with the kids. Im in Mi. and kids are jabbing them selves with the new stuff fent. Its a bad thing........

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey 1600,

Welcome to the forum. Good to see another grey beard. I've been an addict and boozer since 14.
I've most definitely been lucky too.. Should have been dead a bunch of times over. Yet here I am, an official
senior citizen. I remain my own worst enemy.

Consider myself sober now on 8 mg/s. I got lucky once more, when I found the subs. Haven't had a drink
in many years. And it's going on 6 months since my last narcotic. Ever notice people
don't use that word anymore? I loved the word as a kid, and wanted and planned to try
hard drugs starting when I was 8 or 9. Maybe 10. Hard to remember exactly. In there somewhere. I have the disease. All 5 of my childhood family
have it. Or did when alive.

So you're 5 days off? I've never had the experience of tapering off bupe, though I plan to at some point.
From what I've seen around here, it's a good couple or three weeks before the corner's turned, and slowly better from there. Longer than full on opiates, but less painful. Not that it's strawberry ice-cream. But people
manage it all the time.

Keep posting! People are interested. We'll cheer you along

Best wishes,
Godfrey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Its less stressfull than narcotics, but a little different. Of course sleep, and full body chills some time. Also you feel a little vulnerable. Makes you feel like showing some emotions. I am pretty stone face when I want to. I made a few posts about 5 years ago when I stopped drinking, but I would have oc relapses . So I moved, done with and I hope I can be done with the whole scene. I couldnt stop with subs in the house and drugs down the street. I was in the US navy for 5 years in the far east and got involved with china white in hong kong,1972. Also sailed on merchant ships before getting married and kids. Got good at hiding it. M y wife knew she didnt marry a saint,so thank god that worked. I am a lucky man. And hope to show my appreciation buy staying straight. I only got so many more, and much too do. I knew in 1969 that this time would come after I got drunk the first time. It just took me awhile. Good luck to you!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:35 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome again, 1600sensible. I'm sure you remember-you will find a lot of support here through your jump.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:53 pm 

Yes, I felt terrible for that pilot, his wife, and especially their children.

When I was getting the scripts from my pain doctor during active addiction, I had to pick up my son from school at 3:30pm. So, I would take minimal amounts of percocet during the day, and after I picked my son up from school I would take a handful to get my high. I would stay up as late as I could, usually until 6am, riding the high. My husband took him to school every morning. I would sleep until it was time to pick my son up from school. My point is, that I would try to be as straight as possible when it came time to being there for my son, then I would get high when I didn't have to drive anywhere. I'm sure that the pilot was probably doing much of the same thing. Taking just enough to not get sick when he had to fly and overdoing it when he was safely at home.

I so wish they had gotten on suboxone, even if it was off the street in the case of the pilot. I wish they had the desire to surrender into recovery full time, because maybe he was on suboxone while he was flying. It's just so sad for those three children who don't have their parents anymore. I hope to hell that this is a wake up call for those who think that only terrible, lowdown junkies get hooked.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:59 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I used to do the same thing, Amy. So glad I don't have to anymore!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey there 1600! Five days off huh? Well so happy you joined this forum. Tons of good advice and experience here to read up on and compare stories. Sounds like you dropped similar to me. Down from 8 to 4. Then 2 and finally 1 mg. That is where I am now, 1 mg. My Suboxone clinic closed suddenly and I decided to go on with my taper. But enough about me. Was 1 mg as low as you got before you jumped? Please post and let us know how it's going, I'm curious as I must jump soon myself. You mentioned chills and sleep, I'm assuming you mean lack of sleep. I'm just very anxious to know all the details. How one feels when they jump and how they deal with it. Again welcome and hope to hear from you soon. sincerely, Bama girl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, 1mg was about the lowest I went. Its kinda like a regular cold turkey. But after so many years of them, nothing special. I probably would take a week off work or a quiet week and just do it. Get rid of any stock, and try not to sweat the load. I did go out and buy some Idoduim. I think by next week I'll be back to a cranky old man. Another reason is to not go to jail trying to get something in mail or what ever. I couldnt do time as I could in my younger years,lucky only 3 days for dd and poss.1976. Before computors and I didnt have license so I didnt have a record for them to put it on. A trip to Ca. that went bad. I also dont want to be high with gkids, maybe Im growing up. Or manning up. I come from a large family and everyone split when they turned 18. So I tried to give my kids some real interest and hope to show some to gkids.....Only slept about 3hours last nite. (damn talk radio)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Talk radio... yea, It can be addictive, I love listening to the stories myself. thank you so much for the tips. Dr said something about skipping a day at 1 mg. I may try that in a few days. Want to get the Clonidine built up in my system first. Are you monitoring your blood pressure? I tend to have high blood pressure anyway but it's just something you might want to do. I know Clonidine is a blood pressure medication and it seems to be very popular with people coming off Suboxone. My daddy was in the U S Navy but he is a little older than you, 72. That's very admirable of you to want to stay clean for the grandkids. So glad you joined the forum. Try to get some sleep tonight, ok. It's very important. I can't really think right now for some reason so I'm sighing off. Sincerely, Bama Girl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for comment. I did alright after got married (stayed away from drugs) but drank. But as my children got older and got them in college then internet cranked up and a golf partner told me he got vic's online. Then it started....I thought I was pretty smart but the joke was on me. At first would only take at nite after awhile (years)taking oxy before work. I am a electrician so wasnt a good idea. Live and learn, glad my mate stuck with me. Especially when during a life insurance (test) I found out that I had hep c atibodies. I had told her about my drug activities before we got to living together and marriage. I remember I was gonna scare her from me like some other ladies I did. But it worked out. Slept better last nite turned radio off , feel 80percent or so. It would be easy to call the sub doc but Im not. I think I stayed on so long as he was about 10years older and he enjoyed talking with me every 6 months. As we both traveled alot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sounds like you had an awesome Dr. It helps to have a good relationship with Dr.s. I just love your story. You kinda remind me a lot of my daddy, what with you being in the Navy and all. So you stayed clear of drugs after you got married for a while. I was on pills from the time I had a car wreck at age 20 till just last year. A total of 26 yrs. I have liked to drink over the years too. But just like on the weekends. I would binge drink all weekend, usually starting on what I uswed to like to call thirsty Thursday and drink till early Sunday morning. My trouble was I like to hit the road when I drink. Never did like drinking alone. I was so lucky I never killed anyone. Did have a head on collision with a group of people a while back and received my 3rd DUI but was on pills. All 3 times was high on pills. I had 3 DUI's total. Did a little stint locked up on that last one. A year... I dodn't think I have ever mentioned my time locked up here on the forum, but yeah, been there, done that. I was going home on work release 5 days a week taking care of ,my baby. My parents own a business in the Valley where we live and we made arangements before I ever went to court bc I knew I was going to do some time. But anyway I'm getting ready to go on the road with my new girlfriend. She drives a truck. Lord I havenever mentioned nothing about my lifestyle in detales like I have today but at the end of the day, it is what it is. I don't think I will get judgment from my good friends here on the forum. Hell, they might even be glad I found someone. By the way, this is the first female relationship I have ever been in. Candace and I were together once years and years ago. And we just kinda reconnected. I'm very happy about that. She is all about my recover. She has never fooled with pills and she aint about no drinking either so, I feel pretty safe around here as far as getting tempted to do drugs and whatnot. Well guys, I better get off here and get ready. We are driving to Texas. I love her yall. I'll check back in this weekend. Sincerely, Bamagirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I got married in humble texas in 1979, as the north had no work. We also had first baby there. My mate taught school north of there and I worked at airport and other construction jobs. We got ready to buy house and its hard to buy with the flooding areas and fire ants and snakes. Hard to let kids out. But I was born a yankee. We were there 5 years. I remember a few willie picnics, as had friends in austin. still have tshirt from 1979. Have a good dependable veihcle, and youll be fine. feeling ok, that sub is a trip.......

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Almost 2 weeks now. I dont have any desire to start subs again, but when I called my doc for a sleep med the office manager said, " we're filled up". I explained what I wanted and felt the tension go down. So must be plenty of biz for them. So its over now, I would say subs helped me ,almost too easy as I probably stayed on them too long. But thats my cross too bare. Over and out............

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Glad to hear from you again. So I guess your over the dreaded hump so to speak? Wow!!! That sure gives me hope. And at only 2 weeks! Fabulous!! Love your story. Sounds like your originally from the Northern area. I have lived in Alabama my entire life. I'm skipping days like the Dr told me to do. I go back a week from now. He may very well want me to jump then. We shall see.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:21 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

godfrey wrote:
planned to try hard drugs starting when I was 8 or 9. Maybe 10. Hard to remember exactly. In there somewhere.

me too! i had a thing for jim morrison, read no one here gets out alive as a pre-teen. i tried to inject paragoric at 13! i wasn't successful, i had no idea what i was doing.
especially after i saw pink floyd at age 15. there was no doubt in my mind i was missing something and needed to experiment!

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good for you 1600! Those pesky golf partners bring so many people undone! :D

Re the HCV antibodies. Have you had an RNA test to see if you still have the virus? If you do there are some really good new treatments around that are nowhere near as taxing on the body as the old Interferon (which I did and was NASTY).

Congrats on getting off the Sub. Sounds like you have a really mature outlook on the whole thing.