It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:57 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I feel really silly for even posting, it doesn't seem to be a very active forum lately, and I feel like youve all heard this story before and may not be able to assist me. I felt it couldnt hurt, so...

To break it down, I'll just start off by saying I became pregnant and my sub dr told me I needed to find another dr since "as a rule" he does not see pregnant women. He offered me one last script until I found someone else, however, he insisted that I take only subutex. Ok, I understand that's the better choice, no problem there... what the issue was is that I had *just* filled my suboxone script and would be seeing him in 3 weeks, he insisted I come in *immediately* to switch the script out with subutex. Ugh, it just so happened that my bf had gotten suspended from driving and this place was an hr away. The suspension was abt to be cleared up at the end of the week, not that it mattered. I couldnt get there within the alotted time frame of 2 days. I had done massive amounts of research on suboxone/pregnancy and I've read in multiple reliable sources that, although its not the better choice, there have been many patients whose pregnancies/babies have been completely fine. I mentioned the research and explained that 3 wks didn't sound like an extremely serious situation and that I was trying my best to find a way there. He refused to listen and I felt like he wasnt willing to work with me to help the situation at hand.

Guess what? Im not even pregnant anymore. I lost the baby 2 wks after speaking to him. I could KICK myself for jumping the gun.

Of course u all know where Im going with this, I was discharged for "not abiding by medical advice" or something of the like. The entire reason I had to drive an hr away in the first place was because there was absolutely NO ONE ELSE. I dont know if my medicaid would cover my script if a dr in another state wrote it, or so Ive been told. For the record my medicaid does/did cover my entire script each month for NAME BRAND subs. I've called and called and searched and searched ... i have looked online and Ive called the sub help line ... theyve got nothing.

Before anyone asks if I already tried to re-instate my ability to remain a patient I absolutely did try that first thing. Ive asked both him and my primary care physician for references and they both told me Im on my own, and that if I'm concerned abt detoxing to enter a facility. The funniest part abt this is that my primary care dr is ALSO a sub doctor in her other office. I thought that might give me some leverage but I cried and cried to her and she just said she was over capacity as it was.

Now Im here, bawling my eyes out and hardly able to type or see. I'm a mess. I'm terrified. And I'm just another story on a forum.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:49 pm 

Manical Mom..
Really sorry you are in this jam. It is heartbreaking for sure. So much of our sub system seems
wroug at times. Many times it just can be unfair. It is up to tbe Dr s in all of this to help or not. Your PC
dr is already over and that is a risk in its self for her. Only thing you could do there is to keep checking in with her and
possably she cohld open up a spot for you later on. I know this is not helping as of now.
Sorry your old Dr didnt see it as a life changing problem. Ive seen this at tbe clinic I go to. Rules get broking, people are dismissed. When these things happen i often wonder just how they would feel . I know our great Dr J here knows how WD feels. Most Sub docs havnt a clue what it is...
Sounds like you have done all you can do to find a new dr. My advice is to keep trying. I just wanted to post to you that ive read your post and that im truely sorry. Maybe others here have another idea for you...welcome to the forum and hang in there M......

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:26 am 

I'm so sorry you're having a tough time and I wish we had a way to help you.

In fact, I think the only thing I could do to help is to advise you. And it may be unwanted advice at that. I'm going to guess that you're pretty young and that your boyfriend is too. It's great that he is done with his license being suspended. Was the suspension related to a drug or alcohol related incident? Are you not able to drive either?

There is no crime in taking time to get your shit together. If you and your boyfriend are struggling to stay sober/find another sub doctor, I absolutely wish you the best in finding those things. It takes time to get things planned out, including finding a job that provides better healthcare than medicaid.

I am very sorry for the loss of your pregnancy. I know that can be devastating. I don't know if there's any way to say this without sounding judgmental, but is it possible that you could hold off getting pregnant again until your life is a lot more stable? I'm sure that you and your boyfriend could be awesome parents some day, but is it fair to bring a child into a life that's not very stable at the moment? Your child definitely deserves the best you have to give and I'm sure that with a little bit of work you can provide the stable environment necessary. :)

Good luck!

Amy