It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: nicotine
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:34 am 
New Poster
New Poster

What are the harmful physical effects of inhaled nicotine sans tobacco? I am asking this because I recently bought an electronic cigarette, which is basically a nicotine vaporizer. I have not been able to find anything conclusive on the physical harms of nicotine-only products. I know that most stimulants have a negative effect on the cardiovascular system, and that pure nicotine is toxic at high(er) doses, but what about >30mg/day? I have been using the product with decreasing concentrations of nicotine solution to wean off of tobacco addiction. Links to appropriate studies are appreciated.

Post subject: Nicotine
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:38 pm 

I can only speak for myself but my nicotine addiction was the gum. It worked great to help me stop smoking many years ago but I took up the habit 8 years after quitting. Why? Someone offered me one and I liked the feeling while drinking a cup of coffee.

Like you, I could not find any negative health risks to consider. You did mention the cardio so you are more up to date than I was.

My doctor put me on blood pressure meds almost 10 years ago. He did mention that the nicotine gum could make it higher but he didn't come right out and tell me to stop. About 2 months after starting the Suboxone treatment my new doctor sent me to a Cardiologist for an Echo Stress Test because my BP was way too high. (168/114) He was worried I'd stroke out and die if I didn't get some control over it. The test came out fine but the Dr. said to stop the gum and I did. A month later and I'm not on any blood pressure meds anymore.

So bottom line, the nicotine has a direct cause to increasing blood pressure. I also just got out of treatment for oral cancer. Did the nicotine have anything to do with that? Maybe, maybe not. But if I knew then what I know now I never would have started that damn nicotine gum, or I would have quit as soon as knowing what it could do to me.

Is high blood pressure and cancer a good enough reason to stop? Most smokers say no. I know, I used to be one.

Taper and stop, you won't miss it after a few months and you'll be glad you did. Unfortunately, nicotine is one hell of an addictive drug and most addicts just pull the covers over their eyes and ears to block out the truth.

"I knew the day would come when I had to quit. I just don't want it to be today"

Rule

Post subject: Re: nicotine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thought I'd chime in before the post runs off the 'new topic' section... I don't have studies to quote, but nicotine has effects on platelet clumping and on the lining of coronary vessels, contributing to plaque build-up (which contributes to the risk of heart disease). There are other effects on most organ systems... but there is NO doubt that you are better off on a vaporizer, than smoking. Smoking (burning) exposes you to thousands of chemicals, including a number of carcinogens-- not to mention the direct damage to the lungs from inhaling tar and soot.

Quit if you can-- and in the meantime, the vaporizer is much less harmful than burning tobacco.