It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Niacin good or bad?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok.. I skipped my first dose yesterday!! I have been on subs for four years and it was time for me to get back to the Pre- oxy days!! Nope, I will never be the same!! Lost the love of my life four days after our son was born.. Friends started dropping like flies either from death, jail, or just because I can't stand to watch them destroying themselves!! It was easy for me to drop from 16mg to 8mg.. Not so bad to 6... The rest... Ughhh.. Finally comfortable at .25. Lol.. It's funny to me cuz when I finally got to the lowest dose I could I was looking at this ridiculously small piece and wanting to cut it in half!!! I mean I could have I guess but I have started talking to myself and asking the hardest questions of all... Why? Did I want to cut it because once so low I decided I didn't want to let go or do I really need it to continue the quality if life I finally got back.. The subconscious is a very funny thing.. We choose not to listen to it if its not what we want to hear!! Well, long story short.. I'm holding in because its now my security blanket!! I am done with opiates.. Not one desire to take them at all because all I think of is waking up that morning, calling 911, and trying everything I possibly could to bring my love back to life!! Four years in July and I can still feel the cold in my finger tips, still hear my screaming for him to come back, still feel the denial of lossing the battle, and still have to look my son in the eyes daily knowing his father died and what he died from!! So.. I'm good, strong, and a daily advocate for people using and losing to drugs!! But, back to what I wanna know.. Will niacin help with detox of suboxone? All I can find is people's thinking on it and people asking cuz right after the finished dissolving the sub their dealer called!!! I want it so I can finish healing.. I can't shut my subconscious up from telling me that I forgot to take my daily dose but maybe I can try to help my body??!! Excersise is killing me but I'm trying.. I wasn't a big exerciser Pre-oxy but I'm trying to be healthier.. Taking my vitamins which I think has helped alot. I know it's only day two (only in the sense not sure what will happen night two thru night ten) I'm scared if I take it then it might make withdrawals come quicker/stronger?? Does anyone know?? Good luck to everyone trying to make a better life.. Whenever you get the idiot that tells you that you swapped one for the other know that for yourself you are choosing a better way of life and not everyone's the same!! I think that the majority of people that call it swapping haven't been on opiates.. Drugs maybe but opiates.. Not so much!! Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for any advice!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:02 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

hey charley,
just wanted to say, sorry about your loss and yes you are doing the right thing for your baby by staying clean, that is awesome. When i think about the whole niacin thing two things come to mind.. 1) I am not for sure but i think that it works by
"burning" the fat cells, I remember taking it about ten years ago to try and pass a drug test, and it turned my skin red and made me itch like a s.o.b 2) its an active ingrediant in red bulls, which i drink a lot of, and recently, like this past week, i find that if i drink to many, i kind of get that burny, itchy feeling that i got from the niacin years ago.. or maybe it is a common symptom of sub w/d i dont know (i am day 20 no subs today).... For me i wouldnt risk it because i know i already felt crappy enough, and am to scared to get that crazy red burning itchy skin that niacin gave me ten years ago..

but on the other hand we are all different and your body may not react that way.. so with that being said maybe this post was useless for you lol

anyways keep it up, youre doing great. I feel the same way you do about the subs (i think) i feel like that if i never started taking them i would of never even gave recovery a chance, and taking them helped me get my head clear enough to see what i needed to do for when i got off of em
I am going to gas station for a red bull :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:22 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Charley
I can't answer anything about niacin because I never tried it. I have fair skin and flush easily enough already, so going by what rob said, it is not for me.

I also lost my husband to an opiate od when my daughter was an infant. I think it's the hardest thing I could ever go through, but 4 years later I am much better. I am 19 days off sub today, so it can be done! Especially if you are on such a low dose.

For my, some of the feelings I have not felt for years (because of the haze of opiates and subs) have come back. I have had some bad dreams and thought more about my loss than I did in a long time. But in a sense, I am happy for the feelings. I missed them, and they are not anything that can drag me down now.

Good luck and keep us posted on your journey.