It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I am roughly 5w3d pregnant. I see a dr for suboxone and he is also my PCP. I recently found out I am pregnant so he switched me to subutex. I am on a few other medications for a stomach ulcer and went to see my OB yesterday to review my list of medications and explained to him about the subutex. He told me he is not familiar with it and must do his research and get back to me. Well he called me this morning and told me that the subutex is category C in pregnancy (which I know) and that he feels I should be on a different pain medication!? I explained to him that I am on this medication due to prior addiction to opiate pain meds so going back to them is not an option, that my PCP switched me to the subutex because it is considered safer in pregnancy. He said he will have to do more research and figure out what to do then about this medication. I gave him my sub dr info and told him to speak with him regarding this. Is there any info I can bring to my OB regarding this med? I've never been pregnant on sub or opiate before so I am new to this. And now Im scared thinking that Ive messed up big time. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:50 pm 

Well, im not a girl or a dr however if I wer you id go over to the Talkzone on this site and look for posts by our dr junig here,
Search "subutex, pregnant, and my ob dr"..

You will find a wealth of true facts and information there on how to advocate for yourself and help your Dr understand what you are doing.

Suboxone Talkzone ...

Best of luck and hopefully the girls here will pop up and help also.(Lizz, amy, where are ya?)..

Razor55. ?..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey jess,

I think that razor gave you some great advice for a place to start. I also wanted to commend you on your decision to treat your addiction with a medication that will ensure the safety of you and your baby during your pregnancy. taking your prescribed subs is much much much safer than using you're d.o.c. ,obviously :-) and being honest with your obgyn was def the right decision also, although I'm sorry he's not at all knowledgeable about subutex. but certainly don't think that his lack of knowledge about your treatment means that you've done anything wrong, quite the opposite, jess. you made a good decision for you and your baby, and if your doctor does and up giving you a difficult time about being on subs, or tries to pressure you to come off and you do not feel ready, than my advice would be to find an obstetrician who has experience and understanding treating opiate dependent women on subs or methadone. this may prove easier said than done, but absolutely worth it in the long run, for both you and your precious baby. Razor mentioned visiting the talk zone website, and you will definitely find info there about all aspects of pregnancy and buprenorphine treatment, and NAS, which from what I've read, happens far less and to a lesser degree with bupe than with other opiates, even methadone. I know this is a difficult and frightening time for you right now, but know that even if you're baby does experience any Nas symptoms, he/ she will be well taken care of and kept comfortable. I love the articles Dr. Junig has at the talk zone, especially on this particular topic- just use the key words newborn withdrawal,pregnancy... and his articles are full of great info, and should make you feel even better about your decision to treat your addiction with meds during your pregnancy and know that it's a responsible thing to do. I'll actually try to post links to those for you to read,k. good luck to you jess and please keep coming back here and let us know how things go for you. CONGRATS on your pregnancy too. :-D babies are a wonderful blessing that forever change your life for the better!

those links are:

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/suboxon ... -newborns/

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/newborn ... d-of-care/

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/newborn ... -get-real/

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/suboxon ... d-surgery/

these can be printed out to show your doctor, hope you find these helpful.