It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:40 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, I'm from England and have just found this site while looking for detox info and advice about coming off suboxone.
I've been off h for about 5 years now then was on methadone for a couple of years and I've been on suboxone for the past 3 years. I reduced down and I've been stable on a dose of 2.4 mg for the past year or so. I'm really wanting to get off suboxone altogether but I'm a little bit scared. I know it's a really low dose but I've had numerous attempts to get off methadone in the past and I've always relapsed near the end. The thing is, everyone thinks I'm so over my addiction and I don't even like talking about it in case they think I've taken a major step back. I'm scared to tell them how anxious I am about coming off. My life is great and I sometimes forget I'm on suboxone because I tend to take it first thing on a morning when I'm half asleep and don't think about it for the rest of the day. I'm just scared in case I start to crave opiates again if I come off it.
I used to go to NA but haven't for the past couple of years. I manage to keep myself ok but mainly because I have a little one and I work full time so I don't really have time to mess up!
Does anyone have any tips for getting off suboxone? I think the doctor will give me a few sleepers for the very end but that's it as far as I'm aware. Any advice on how quick to reduce would be great. And do you think it's a good idea to go back to NA for support? Also, I've heard suboxone is easier to come off than methadone, can anyone confirm that from experience?
Thank you in advance x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:50 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome to the forum UKGirl,

There are a few threads on "how to taper off suboxone. There is some great info there and is a great read. The lower your dose the easier the transition can be. You just have to be sure that you want off of it. I understand the fear of relapse and is going to be there for the rest of your life. Many people have done it without relapsing but the majority fail. I'm not trying to scare you but the numbers show it. Saying that the people on this forum are here to support you either way.
It sounds like you are doing great while on Suboxone. Make sure this is what you want.

As far as methadone being harder to get off of compared to Suboxone, I totally agree. I had a very hard time tapering off methadone compared to suboxone. Actually I couldn't get down very low and jumped at a high dose. With Suboxone it was definitely easier for me.

Good luck in your decision, either way we are hear for you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:55 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the reply.

I've managed to have a look at some of the threads you mentioned and you're right, there is some really helpful stuff there.

I have an appointment with my key worker tomorrow and I've made my mind up that I want to start tapering. My memory is shocking at the moment and my job is quite taxing so I'm hoping that is something that will improve when I come off suboxone. Guess I just need to be aware of the old signs and if it gets too much I can take a break for a while.

One thing that stands out on this forum is how friendly, helpful and understanding everyone is. I'm happy to have found the place.

UK Girl