It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:38 am 
Hi all, I am brand new the the site & the cure (suboxone). I abuse Vicodin (hydrocodone) and have for about 3.5 years. The dependence got far worse after a terrible accident in 2008 in which I almost lost a limb. I now feel "normal" only when I am using it - the energy, the flawlessness, the efficiency, the drive - with which I approach every aspect of my life has been of huge mental/work-related reward, but very detrimental financially and emotionally (the shame based launching pad is almost too much to bear). So I start "the cure" in about 2 weeks and am very nervous and also very excited....I guess the nervousness comes from doubting it will "work" - how, after all, can subx. mimic the high & pure energy, resulting in amazing work product, crazy allover energy, and admirable physical (athletic) accomplishments I got from vicodin?? We will see. Any reassurances welcome here. Please tell me how well it works, how my apprehension far exceeds the reality, etc. I need reassurance! My doc says pateints with far more addicrtive abuse than I successfully quit vicodin with subx......so I am hopeful. Any positive experiences extermely welcome. I dont know where else to turn!
Thanks
Pan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope you find the support you're looking for here (I know I have). First of all I must say that suboxone is not a cure for opiate addiction. We will always be addicts, unfortunately that will not change. Suboxone is an excellent tool. It puts us into "remission". No more chasing the high, none of the crazy, chaotic drug-seeking behavior, no more lying, cheating, and stealing. Suboxone gives us the opportunity and time to work on our lives...learn how to cope without drugs, etc.

I've been on suboxone for 21 months now. I can honestly say it saved my life. I was heading towards death when I got on it. I have no doubt I would be dead right now if not for suboxone. I can't reassure you though that sub is going to give you all those things that vicodin has, because the way I see it, you're describing being high. Suboxone won't get you high. It will make it so you don't need to get high anymore.

I sincerely hope you're induction goes smoothly. And congrats on making the decision to end the chaos. Again, welcome. Keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 pm 
Hi and welcome. You aked "how, after all, can subx. mimic the high & pure energy, resulting in amazing work product, crazy allover energy, and admirable physical (athletic) accomplishments I got from vicodin??" The answer is it can't and it won't. However, it will give you a chance to work on the financial and emotional toll as well as the shame you mentionned. It will allow you to function normally and not suffer physically while you get your life back together. It is a wonderful and effective tool for recovery, but if you're hoping that it will substitue all of the "positive" effects you got from vicodin, you will be disappointed. I wish you all the best, and please keep posting on the forum. There are a lot of knowledgable people here who can help you through the process.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: I lost a limb
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am an amputee. I have had 7 surgeries, both legs. Vascular disease with blood clots. I have been hooked on dilaudid, morphine, percocets, you name it. All I had to say is i'm in pain and my doctor would give me whatever. Nowmi'm on subs, trying to get rid of this horrible addiction. 8mg 2x a day. Trying to cut down to 12mg. cravings bother me most. I find that if I get dustracted it helps. Hang in there. I know easier said than done, but what can we do? I'm really gonna give it my all. Can't do the pill thing anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey pandora and welcome. You've got good feed back so far so I will briefly through in my two cents. The way you described the effects hydro has on you is how we all felt at one time abusing our drug of choice. I'm willing to bet that all those wonderful feelings are starting to slowly fade and your starting to feel "normal" not high when using. In that respect suboxone will mimic what vicodin is doing for you. For years I was either sick or high, then it became I was either sick or normal. When I first started suboxone I was amazed how I just felt normal and generally good all the time. You will be amazed at what this little orange tablet will do for you. It's hard to put in words but you will feel great, not high, but just great. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Post subject: from Pan the newbie
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:37 am 
Thank you all sooo much - your replies were really really helpful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome. I would also like to comment on the "cure" aspect of your statement. There is no "cure" for addiction. Once you become an addict, that is, unfortunately, a bell that cannot be "unrung"

And I agree with Hatmaker that what you were describing in your email was essentially the experience of an opiate buzz. And if you are hoping to retain that sort of euphoria when on suboxone, well, you should prepare yourself, because that's not what suboxone does, nor is that its intended purpose. The purpose of suboxone is to occupy the receptors in your brain that are occupied by full agonist opiates, thus eliminating the obsession and compulsion to get and use opiates, but it doesn't provide the same type of euphoria.....now for MY money, that's a GOOD thing, otherwise, what's the point of taking it? You'd literally just be exchanging one drug for another.

Taken correctly, and combined with a program of recovery that includes counseling, therapy and/or 12 step meetings, you have a very good chance of putting your addiction into remission.