It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: newbie with questions...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi...I just found this sight and have been reading for hours. I'm the worst on learning how to work new sites and I apologize if I'm in the wrong spot. I just have some questions and feel like I can be brutally honest here and wont be judged. I have been addicted to Percocet and Norco for over 5 years now and now it has gone from taking my normal dosage to overdoing it. I'm in the process of being switched over to suboxone (it seems to be taking forever for the doctors and insurance company to see eye to eye) so as of now I'm still taking the Percocet and I'm just so super scared to change over. I'm so afraid of going thru withdrawals from the Percocet. ..I've done it before...not having any for a day or two and I thinking I was going to jump out of my own skin. I'm scared as to how I'll feel on the suboxone. Am I going to get the pain releif I so desperately need from the Percocet, am I going to feel the 'high' that I do from the Percocet? Also, is suboxone a drug that I can potentally get addicted to? Is this a drug that you take for a couple of months and then wean off of or am I going to be taking it for years, like I have the Percocet?
I've got a lot of other health problems that make me nervous about the switch too. I have horrible anexity, and it has been kicked into overdrive with the switch c omming up. I've been having horrible pain attacks at night. Will my alprazolam odt still help me while on suboxone? I'm a huge insomniac and am worried that the ambien wont help either. As I mentioned before I'm worried about the pain releif. ..I have 2 bulging discs in my neck which cause me great pain and unfortunately I'm not a surgery candidate. I suffer from debilitating migraines and I read that a few people got headaches, I'm scared this medicine will increase the migraines. And lastly I have Addison's Disease which is an autoimmune disease where your adrenal and pituitary glands don't work or function properly. Its often called adrenal insufficiency. My adrenal don't work at all by themselves so I have to take medication to make them work. So, I know that my Addison's has nothing to do with this...I'm just trying to be as honest as possible and give my full history. So if anyone out there has some words of wisdom for me, I'd love it. I know that I'll be getting strips that I am to take 3 times a day (I don't know the milligram on those yet) but I'm wondering if that is a high dose, normal dose or low dose. (I'm asking this question assuming that the strips are all the same milligram) Thank you so much everyone for your stories and words of wisdom that I have read and hope one day to be able to give advice and not be the new scared kid that I am.
Thanks everyone and I really look foreward to some advice
Kate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:22 pm 

Hi Kate, just wanted to welcome you here. This is a great forum that will cover and answer many of your questions.
I wish I had all the answers to them, but I dont.
I can tell you that this med has worked for me these last 3 years. Yes you can be on sub a loug time.
Depended, yes, addicted, no, at least thats how I feel about it.
I have trouble giving advice those who have pain issues. I never have had this problem. Im middle aged and sub does help with many of my aches an pains. Back or disk issues, idk really.
The thing is are you an addict? Sounds like it. You over take your meds so a line has bn crossed.
Sub therapy can work for you, do not be scared. Wd sucks, sure, but you will be fine. Sub will take it away, quickly.
Headaches, those are in the begining and mine were mild. Same with that highish feeling you may get. After you stablize, a few days toca week, that will balance out.
Your dr is leaving you on Ambien? Some do not..

Sorry I have to run, atvwork, but keep posting we all here will help you getvstarted Kate...DONT BE SCARED.you will be fine..razor...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hi...I can't thank you enough for your words and kindness. So...my insurance company is giving me the run around and I have to appeal to get them to pay for the suboxone. Well, my doctor isn't going to give me any more Percocet. Should I buckle up for a horrible weekend? Do you have any suggestions for going thru withdraws? I have my anexity meds so I'm hoping that they will help. I'm unsure of how I'll feel...the times I've had withdraws before were only for a couple hours to just one night and I felt as if I was going to jump out of my skin and I had a rediculous migriane. So, do you have any suggestions for me? I'm also going to try and figure out how to make a new post to ask others also, but I trust you. Thanks again, just so much.
Kate

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Do you have any percs to stretch out through the weekend to take the edge off? Unfortunately, there is no way to ward off withdrawals once our bodies are dependent on drugs and is abruptly denied what it's used to, as in a cold turkey stop. I would suggest staying hydrated with Gatorade, buying some immodium for the stomach issues and taking lots of hot baths to help with the restless legs, aches and anxiety. You may not sleep much this weekend and try to avoid caffeine if you are sensitive to it, it will increase anxiety.

wish I had better news for you or a recipe to rid withdrawals but I don't. When are you supposed to get your suboxone? Some pharmacies will give you a few days worth if you give them your script and they see its pending authorization from your insurance. If you have a script written already, I would try getting a few and pay out of pocket for them and just take half your dose to make them stretch.

good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

so...I do have some percocets to stretch out and I was able to pay out of pocket for s couple of strips when the percs tun out. So...million dollar question..in your best opinion should I stretch the percs or stretch the strips by cutting them in half? I know its probably different for each person, but what would you do? Thanks so much for the advice!
Kate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

update...so my doctor did call me in enough norcos to make it thru the weekend. But I also paid for the strips out of pocket, so I got 6 of them. They are 2MG -0.5MG strips 3 times a day, which only leaves me 2 days of the suboxone. So...should I just stay on the norcos until I'm out and then switch? As you can tell, I'm a nervous wreck and obivously giving myself anexity. I really appreciate your advice!! Thanks so much.
Kate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:07 pm 

Ok kate, hi, sorry busy day here..
So, you have subs and percs..

Well, its up to you..shoot this is hard to explain over the net...

Look, you are going to HAVE to go into WD to start Suboxone. . Its that simple. There is no way around it. You want to start tomarrow nite, stop the percs NOW.. My guess is you will take what you have till there gone. Just my opinion, hell I did..
You need to e in moderate wd before you ever take Sub. Ok?..

2mgs is a small dose. To be taken slowly when the time comes. How much pain meds do you take a day. How many mgs daily? Need to know your tolerance Kate..

Its up to you when you start. Either stop the pills now, then wait for wd for the next day or so, or wait till tnere all gone. Thats how its done.

Its tuff at first but subs will work for you..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

so I had Chinese food for dinner and my fortune said...fortune sides with him who dares. That's gotta be a sign.
I take 10 mg percs 6 times a day. And yes your right as soon as I got my script this afternoon I took 2. So my willpower is obivously none. I also have some 4mg dilauded pills that I throw in here and there. I think your right that until there gone I'm going to use them...I hate that. So, with the suboxone I should wait till the withdraws start and then take them?
why am I like this (I know you don't know the answer because I don't know the answer) I'm truly embarassed that as soon as I get my hands on the pills they end up in my mouth. I want to not to have to take anything, but that's just not realistic now.
So taking 60 MG a day...is that a bad habbit?I don't take the dilauded every day...just when I want that little extra high. If I was a strong person I'd just get rid of the dilauded...maybe if you told me, hearing it from you might make a difference.
I want to be able to do this, but I'm completely willing to admit to you I'm a coward...that's gotta be some sort of step in the right direction. So, for tonight at least I know I'll get a good nights sleep, although I don't feel all that great about myself. Thanks so much for listening to my madness and I value your opinion greatly.
goodnight...Kate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I forgot to add that with my 60mg a day and the others I have the tolerance of a linebacker. It takes a lot for me to get the euphoria we all seek. I tell myself every day (have for a while now) that I can stop anytime. Now with the serious realization that I have to its a completely different story...the fear is real and like you said...I have to go thru some withdraws to start the suboxone. So, now again my mind is racing and I have pleanty of both....pain pills and sub tabs. I guess this weekend I need to put on my big girl pants and do the right thing.....
I hope its ok that I'm leaning on you...if its not then please let me know. I truly appreciate the bond that we are forming. Thank you so much for your advice...I understand that your a busy man and can't get right back to me...but knowing your here helps.
Kate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:02 am 

It ll be alright Kate, im working till 1 today. Will bet back to you.
Your doing a very brave thing in all of this. Your trying to change..

And that isnt easy. Oh, and you are no different than any other opiate addict at this point. Fear is nothing new. . Will post abit later.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:17 pm 

katesnbrd wrote:
why am I like this (I know you don't know the answer because I don't know the answer) I'm truly embarassed that as soon as I get my hands on the pills they end up in my mouth. I want to not to have to take anything, but that's just not realistic now.

Hi Kate. The reason you can't stop taking pills is because you are, at least, partially addicted to opiates. Do you find yourself thinking about your next dose all of the time? Do you take your dose in a way that you will be able to feel it when it hits your system? Do you count/recount your pills? Any of that, including the inability to have the pills and not take them, indicates that you have a problem with addiction.

Suboxone is opiate based so you will become dependent on it. The beauty of sub is that when you start taking it, the obsessive behaviors and the need for more, More, MORE, goes away. Chronic pain patients who are on suboxone should take a dose of sub every 6 hours instead of once a day. Suboxone is an analgesic, but the analgesic effects only last from 4 to 6 hours. So if your doctor says that you need 2mg/day, cut each 2mg strip in half and take half a strip every 6 hours. Sub is a very good pain reliever.

You will need to be in moderate withdrawal before you induce on sub. I would finish up the pills and then wait 18 to 24 hours before you start with .5mg of sub. There is a scale you can use to figure out what stage of withdrawal you are in, called COWS. Here is a link: http://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_ind ... _sheet.pdf

I hope this helps!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:08 pm 

Kate, emmy and Amy have givin good advice here.

How are you doing today?
You can do this Kate.
Also, I think you may have a good sub dr. Reason being your dr has only written for a small dose. 2mgs to start is pretty low. But you havnt a large habit, plus for pain relief, small doses over a days period helps sub work for pain.

You can do this kate..post us back and tell us how your doing??

Also, id wa4ch some of Dr Junigs vidios on utube. Or over on the Talkzone..dr j owns this site..

Razor...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

so...I took the test and I came out moderate, but i probably should take it again after I finish the percs and wait 24 hours to start. So yes I do obsess about the next time to take more, always counting to make sure I'd have enough to make it to the next month. I've always had a script, never gotten them anywhere else, but wold get more from another doctor if I found myself almost without.
so, the 2.5mg 3xday isn't a high dose? That could be good or bad...do you think that once I let the withdraws to start should I take the whole 2.5 or try with less.
its a very comforting feeling knowing that the obsessing will stop once I make my transition.
so, I decided that tues is going to be the day I do my transition...I've got an important meeting on Mon and don't need any surprises. Gotta admit, still nervous as hell, but this helps so much!
I just thought of another question...I think it was you razor, that said you were surprised I was kept on the ambien...why? Also, will my anexity meds still work once on the suboxone. I take the 1mg odt tabs of alprazolam when I start to have that anxious feeling and usually one works, but sometimes I take 2.
thanks so much
Kate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:38 am 

Sorry kate, mixed up amben with ativan..some sub drs want nothing but sub in your system. .mines that way...

Kate, can I suggest one thing here. You have two threads going. Maybe just use one. Lol.im jumpin all over the place . Cant remember some of the questions. Lol..

Your other thread seems more active. Maybe focus on that one...or not...

Again, Emmy and Amy have made some good suggestions.
One thing, you only take the COWS test After you are in wd, after all your percs are gone. No need to do it before..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:44 am 

Also, 2mgs isnt a larger dose.
I like what Amy said. Tuesday, being in moderate wd, take a strip, cut it in half, 1mg), then cut it in half Again, (.50), start there..
See how it effects you for an hour or so. Then the other half if need e...go slowly..You should find the right dose this way and skip any Precp WD..no need for that..

Remenber..we all did th7s and it came out really well..will e here to help

razor....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hi razor...I'm going to stick with ya'll here. I feel better talking to you and the gals here. So, the ambien is fine...good to know because I'd never sleep without it. But I do take alprazolam for anexity. I have the 1mg odt tablets for when the anexity is comming on. Usually 1 works, but sometimes I need 2. Will they continue to work while I'm on the suboxone? I don't know what I'd do with out them...sometimes a panic attack just consumes me. I have never really been able to pin point any one thing that has brought an attack on,(I can remember having panic attacks as long ago as elementary school) but...for my 30th birthday I was assaulted and I know that when I have flashbacks or are put in certain situations the sensation of panic can be overwhelming. But other than that, I'm a happy well rounded person (I'm biased of course because I like me :D )
so today is going to be a relaxing day inside with the dog...its supposed to be 107 today and that's just too damn hot for me. Sometimes the heat gives me a migraine so I tend to hide in the dark and quiet on days like this.
thanks for your support razor (and the gals too) ya'll are just super awesome people and I'm so glad to know you and to know that I'm not alone has been just really great. When I was faced with having to go from the percs to the suboxone I could hardly catch my breath I was so terrified and all of ya'll have just been so amazing to me!!
Kate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:56 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Kate, I'm not sure what alprazolam is exactly, but I am currently taking Klonipin (which is an anxiety med) along with the suboxone and I also take soma (muscle relaxer) and Advil pm to sleep. I would suggest you have just one doctor who deals with all your meds, I'm not sure if you said something about two docs. I have everything prescribed by my sub doc, or at least be sure he/she knows of everything you take. Then you can be more confident that you're not mixing things you shouldn't. Oh and I also take gabapentin for nerve damage I believe. My doc was more concerned with me coming off the soma eventually and not so much the klonipin. So anyway, point being I think you'll be fine with taking anxiety meds with the sub, as long as your doctor oks that. Plus you want to do things as easy transition wise as possible so you're not in a panic, and don't feel like its too much to take on. I know how overwhelming it can be at first, especially when you've been taking these meds for years, you can't imagine being ok without them, but you will, trust me, you'll come out on the other side and be fine!! My addiction was started legit for pain as well and honestly I feel better now, pain wise, then I did taking tons of pain killers. The oxys and Percs play tricks on your mind and constantly keep you needing more to stay "normal" or what you think is normal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:51 pm 

Kate, idid mean for you to think that I wanted you to go to another forum.no no.
I meant that you have two titles, threads workin here on Suboxforum. .

Anyway, thanks for posting to us. Eemys bn doing great an has experience, and Amy, she knows her stuff too..me, well, im just a guy who has seen this med work for many many people...it saved my life when nothing else made sence..that was 3 years 7 months ago. Yes I keep count of mytime..but for real, we only have today in so many ways..

107???? Wholey cow...81 here in the mts...razor56....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Emmy...my sub doc knows about the alprazolam (which is generic for xanex). I get that from my GP and Emily my pain doctor knows I take it...she however besides the pain pills, and now suboxone prescribes me the ambien and baclofan (muscle relaxer). I have the cronic pain that stems from buldging discs in my neck. I've been to one neurosurgeon and he didn't think that I was a surgery candidate, but I recently had a nerve study done by my neurologist and has refered me to a neurosurgeon in his practice to go over my MRIs and the nerve study to see if I'm a surgery candidate.
I unfortunately also suffer from complex vascular migrianes that tend to most of the time rule my world. So, unfortunately pain is just part of my life...but knowing that the suboxone is going to help with the pain brings me comfort.
So it sounds like my withdraws aren't going to be as bad as I thought...the 2.5mg 3 times a day sounds like its a decent dose, not too high. In your opinion should I start off with one full strip or should I cut it down in the beginning to get a feel for what works. As I've read here a lot of people start (at least try to) start with a lower dose to see where to take it from there.
I'm not going to lie..I'm pretty sure that I'll miss the `high`that comes with the Percocet but if I understand you correctly that will go away...razor do you have any thoughts on that also? That's the coward part in me comming out again. But listening to ya'll, I feel like it can be done.
Hope everyone is having a great weekend and chat soon...much love and thanks,
Kate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Quick question yall... I've been reading a bunch and see people refer to PAWS...what does that mean?
Thanks!
Kate