It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was induced last Thurday. I have been on 8mg daily. I want to quit before my body becomes addicted to the suboxone. I was coming off of vicodin and tramodol, 15-30 a day habit. After doing research it seems like the withdrawalls from suboxone will be worse than the reason the doc put me on it! I want to ween off it before i get addicted to it. Is it too late, 5 days?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:36 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

sub0 wrote:
I was induced last Thurday. I have been on 8mg daily. I want to quit before my body becomes addicted to the suboxone. I was coming off of vicodin and tramodol, 15-30 a day habit. After doing research it seems like the withdrawalls from suboxone will be worse than the reason the doc put me on it! I want to ween off it before i get addicted to it. Is it too late, 5 days?

It is my understanding that you don't get addicted to suboxone. It will keep you from taking the vicodin ad tram. 15-30 a day. It will just make you feel normal, not high. You are addicted to vics and trams...subs will stop that. It is my understanding that you can take subs a long time if needed....until you feel you can safely live without your drug of choice.
I don't know much, maybe someone else could explain better, but if it were me I would stay on the sub a while...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

slipper wrote:
sub0 wrote:

It is my understanding that you don't get addicted to suboxone. It will keep you from taking the vicodin ad tram. 15-30 a day. It will just make you feel normal, not high. You are addicted to vics and trams...subs will stop that. It is my understanding that you can take subs a long time if needed....until you feel you can safely live without your drug of choice.
I don't know much, maybe someone else could explain better, but if it were me I would stay on the sub a while...

Im sorry, I should have clarified more. I meant how long untill you are physically addicted, meaning how long can you take it before stopping would produce withdrawall symptoms?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:32 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I can't tell you from my personal experience but maybe my friends experience will help. He was only on subs for about 2 weeks total. He started at 8 mg split dose then every 3-4 days would drop it by 50%. He told me that he felt a little discomfort once he got below 4mg/day but kept pushin through it and ya he got off them without any major withdrawl. I don't think this would work for most addicts but I just wanted to share a different method.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you stopped now, I think you would feel withdrawals. It would likely still be mostly Vicodin & Tramadol withdrawal too. Tramadol withdrawal is particularly nasty, and lasts for a while - longer than 5 days. If you stopped now, you would definitely feel that more than any buprenorphine withdrawal.

I understand you don't want to allow yourself to become dependent on Suboxone. Also understand that people who use Suboxone responsibly, without abusing it and as a recovery adjunct, aren't actually addicted. They're physically dependent. There is a big difference. There are MANY people who remain on Suboxone for a year or two, stay out of addiction and get their lives together. Then when their addiction is a distant memory, they slowly reduce, and live opioid free. It's a long term commitment, but it's the best way I know to live opioid free.

If you're basing your decision on what some people have said about Suboxone on the internet, understand that there's a lot of melodramatic fear mongers and victim types who aren't ready to get clean, and like to blame Suboxone for their lives. Are withdrawals from Suboxone worse? No, not if you do a proper taper.

Consider writing down the pro's / con's of staying on Suboxone vs getting off Suboxone, keeping in mind that relapse rates skyrocket for those who go straight from addiction to abstinence.

If you're dead set on getting off Suboxone, find the lowest dose that relieves your Tramadol & Vicodin withdrawals, nothing more. Then very slowly reduce your dose over 2-3 weeks until it's less than 0.5mg a day, 0.25mg ideally. Then stop. You likely will feel cravings to use during the process.

Make sure you run any decision you make past your doctor.

If you start using Vicodin / Tramadol as your dose reduces, or after you jump off, then I'd seriously consider staying on Suboxone until you learn how to handle your cravings.

Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Great post Tear!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ill use the word "dependent" instead of "addicted" in future posts. Apologies if that istake caused anyone offense. Thanks for the replies peoples.
\