It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Newbie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:38 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello everyone just wanted to introduce myself. I am new to this forum but but have been on sub for close to 5 years now. The doc I currently have is nice but doesn't seem to be a huge advocate of long term suboxone use but I feel that I may just be one of those people that need it for life. This doctor is always asking me when we are going to go down and I'm down from 2 1/2 to 1 1/2 and I'm doing alright but lately I've been getting overwhelming cravings like worse than ever before and I haven't used an opiate since the beginning of '09! Idk i'm just scared that he's eventually gonna want to get me off it and if i'm having cravings now, imagine without suboxone!!

Post subject: Re: Newbie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

anyone else being pressured to go down or get off?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

not cool at all....i would be firm in telling the doctor about these cravings and if he is not willing to increase your dose to one that is EFFECTIVE and planning whatever length of treatment that works to treat the illness, than you may want to consider finding another doctor...im sorry that you have one of "these" doctors.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Pinupgirl,

I'm so sorry you are having trouble. I don't understand why some doctors think that they know better than everyone else and think they should pressure their patients to taper. Please don't let his ideas make you feel like you are doing something wrong. If you are doing well on suboxone and feel comfortable staying on it for life then NOBODY should try to convince you otherwise.

I'm sure you can talk your doctor into at least keeping you at the dose you are at now, if not upping it a bit to cover your cravings. But I would agree with He-Reigns and say that if he gives you a hard time you should immediately start searching for a new doctor. We all know how hard it can be to find one who has openings, and it would be a good idea to get something lined up before you need it.

Fight for your rights to stay on this medication if you have to. Being pushed off before you are ready is NEVER successfull!

Good luck,

Q

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

yeah well unfortunately here in the "land of enchantment" (new mexico) everyone and their mom is a drug addict so the lists to see suboxone doctors is crazy! But anyway I like this doctor and he didn't say anything last month about it but I just got down to 1 and a half and so he'll probably be a bit hesitant about it but I will ask next time I see him. Wish me luck! lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks Q! Btw love your pic! Very pinup-y! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LOL...Thank you! Yes it is. 8)

I'm a huge fan of pin-up art, especially the old Vargas style.

BTW - Welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you very much! I'm a huge fan too (hence the username ha) So since you're a moderator that means you've been around a long time?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I joined the forum when I started my suboxone treatment in March of 2012. My date on the side of my avatar doesn't show that because I lost my password and had to re-join. Yes, I'm an airhead too...among many other things. :D

I only recently became moderator, but it doesn't mean anything. I'm just a member with a couple extra buttons. We have alot of members who have been around a lot longer than me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. Funny you should mention the pressuring of going lower on the sub dose. I just went to my doctor yesterday and he also mentioned that i could go lower and to try to make it my goal for next year to go to around 2mg from where I am at now at 12mg. I said i would think about it. But if my insurance pays for all of mine at 12mg, there really is no incentive for me to go lower. I am doing great at 12mg and I have no cravings at all. So why would I want to go down to 2mg.

I would understand it if it was a $$ issue and 2mg would still keep the cravings away, but I just don't see myself even wanting to think about it.

I would simple tell your doctor that you will think about it, then go back the next time and tell them your thoughts. My thoughts are, IF IT AIN"T BROKE... you know what I mean?

You gotta do what's right for you.

Too many addicts are pressure off there meds only to relapse or... worse.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Raudy. I think you're absolutely right! If we are doing well then what's the point?? I always compare it to cancer patients or patients with hypertension. They need meds to get by, well so do we!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

As a long-standing member of 18 whole hours on this forum, I say welcome! I'm sorry to hear that you're being pressured to get off it, my roommate went through the same experience a couple years ago and he has been an occasional IV user with me since, though he hasn't become dependant again on anything more than Kratom. I hope your doc listens to your plight, it can be hard when a place has a limited number of patients that they can have concurrently. With suffering addicts figuratively (hopefully not literally!) hammering on their windows wanting to turn their life around, I imagine they start looking at those who have been good for years now. I echo the sentiment that you prepare a plan B if the doc is adamant about cutting you off, it would be a shame to be left out in the cold and driven to old habits after so many years of feeling and doing well.

Keep us posted, and good luck!