It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Newbie!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey my name is Tav and my bf and I made the step to go on Suboxone January 19th. I have been a everyday addict for the past 6 years. Honestly I'm scared out of my mind on what to do now with my life, it's like I have stranded myself on some strange little island. I have my boyfriend and hes a great support but with both of us going through it at the same time it can be tough. We've cut out all of the bad (Which was just about everyone), I had to quit my job. I don't really have anyone to talk to anymore so I thought I would spend my time on here in hopes to make some new friends. I used to Bartender & Server in downtown Atlanta and now I'm pretty much a home maker because I'm not ready to jump back into the real world. On a positive note I'm really excited to get to know everyone! It'll be nice to get some answers from other who have gone or are going through it too! One thing I wasn't expecting was how alone you feel when you make that sober jump.

Oh and here is a little information on me:
Nickname: Tav
Sex: Female
Lives: Atlanta, Ga
I live with my boyfriend and our roommate plus my Cat Captain Harvey, Dog Rufus, 4 Rats Splinter, Padme, Emma G, & Che.
I'm really into writing, Photography, & Crafting, Plus a lot of others which I listed in my profile. Well I nervous so I'll go ahead and stop this introduction lol.

Post subject: Re: Newbie!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tavagain wrote:
Hey my name is Tav and my bf and I made the step to go on Suboxone January 19th. I have been a everyday addict for the past 6 years. Honestly I'm scared out of my mind on what to do now with my life, it's like I have stranded myself on some strange little island. I have my boyfriend and hes a great support but with both of us going through it at the same time it can be tough. We've cut out all of the bad (Which was just about everyone), I had to quit my job. I don't really have anyone to talk to anymore so I thought I would spend my time on here in hopes to make some new friends. I used to Bartender & Server in downtown Atlanta and now I'm pretty much a home maker because I'm not ready to jump back into the real world. On a positive note I'm really excited to get to know everyone! It'll be nice to get some answers from other who have gone or are going through it too! One thing I wasn't expecting was how alone you feel when you make that sober jump.

Oh and here is a little information on me:
Nickname: Tav
Sex: Female
Lives: Atlanta, Ga
I live with my boyfriend and our roommate plus my Cat Captain Harvey, Dog Rufus, 4 Rats Splinter, Padme, Emma G, & Che.
I'm really into writing, Photography, & Crafting, Plus a lot of others which I listed in my profile. Well I nervous so I'll go ahead and stop this introduction lol.

WELCOME!

I'm not far from you, I live in Central Alabama (closer to the GA line, actually only an hour from GA)..

I know Atlanta is a big place, and it's hopping with all sorts of "wild life" or "wildlife", or whatever you call those hell-raisers in the ATL...I've not been there in many years, but I'm told that I'm not missing much..
Plus I get my fill by going to Birmingham a few times a year..so that does it for me.

Add in the fact that I visit my father in Slidell, Louisiana usually twice a year, and I see enough ..more than enough...but I just LOVE going to Louisiana. There's nothing like that place, to me, and it feels like going home every time that we visit.

You're taking the right steps to change your life, just don't make the mistake of letting those people back in...because they'll only drag you down. Sometimes it's best to watch from afar while they sink..because you can't play a part in it if you want to remain clean and sober.

I'm 33 and my wife is 31....my story is in the Addiction Stories area and is pretty long, so I won't detail it here..but I've come a LONG way from what I used to be, and VERY MUCH clean now with 4+ years on Suboxone.

I'm a stay-home dad, with kids that I love dearly. Also have a baby on the way and will be born in the next couple of weeks..won't be long and we'll have us a newborn here at home!! Life is great when you're not up in the clouds and missing out on it..

Post subject: Home Bound
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:38 pm 

Welcome Tav to the forum. You will meet lots of great people here who share the common problem of addiction. It is only an online gathering so you won't get very close to others to form good friendships. Maybe check out some 12 step meetings, or Rational Recovery? Something to get you out of the house and socializing with your peers again. Just a suggestion and my 2¢

Either way, given time you will get better and better just by being off the crazy pills.

Stick around and get to know some of the others here and Welcome once again.

P.S. I like all your animal names....cute.

Rule

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome!

You made a HUGE step and like anything else it's going to take some time to adjust. Rule has good advise, get out and meet some new friends. If na is not something your comfortable with you could take a craft class or something else that interests you. I think you will also notice that you and your boyfriend are going to grow much closer. It does get better but it just takes time. Use this time to focus on you and the rest will come along. I look forward to getting to know you and congratulations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

jonathanm1978- Lol I should have read this one before the other one I got some of my answers already. Congratulations on your newborn! I have a 6 year old son who lives with my mother and sister. I had to give him up at six months to my Mom & Sister when my addiction problem started spiraling out of control. I'm working very hard now to get back into his life. I have always been there for visits but he was never allowed to stay with me for extended periods. So now if I stay clean for a year and go to counseling then I will be able to start making the moves for him to stay with me. Hes my best friend we write letters and draw pictures to each other and talk on the phone. Hes my biggest inspiration to get sober I just hate it took so long for me to realize I was destroying my life. I need to go read your story here in a little bit after I run to the store and thank you so much for welcoming me! I was nervous no one would respond lol. I've never really gotten to visit Alabama or Louisiana, I've heard both are beautiful, most I've done is drive though on Greyhound lol. My BF and I are strongly considering moving away from the city life and possibly Georgia all together. I think its great you're a stay at home dad! I'm happy to hear you and your wife were able to work through your hard times.

Rule62- Thank you! I am looking into some 12 step programs but I know from friends they ended up with more connects then they did with help. I think online friendships are the safest for me right now. I know its not safe to create a hobbit hole for myself but I'm so afraid of messing up if I go out to a public place ( I got on hikes a lot though!)I'm hoping over time with my one on one counseling I'll get past that, I really think I just need to find some good wholesome groups to join.. like pottery classes or something. What is Rational Recovery? I've never heard of that before. Oh and thank you on my animals names I'm a bit of a nerd ( and proud of it! ). Right now I spend a most of my time teaching them tricks and having a dog is wonderful since I have a national park by my house hes my walking buddy.

Breezy-Ann- So funny you said a craft class I wrote the above before I got to your post :D I really do hope it brings us closer. We goof around a lot more and seem to fight less since both of us aren't fighting and holding grudges on who gets the last hit, or who did more, stealing from each other... it was ugly. Our fights now are more out of fear. It feels sometimes like were both just standing in same spot and neither of us have any idea on where to go and I think we get angry because we except each other to know the right answer. I will work on making new friends eventually I'm mainly afraid because in the past I seem to attract junkies like a magnet.. Did this happen to any of you? I'm not sure if its just cause your whacked you attract them or if its just me... :/... I've been in the life style so long now I don't really know how to act different.

Oh and thank you all again I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello and welcome i myself have just joined and I wish you the best of luck with your recovery, and getting your son back. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you paw star thats really sweet of you to say. Are you new to sobriety or new to the forum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Tavagain wrote:
Thank you paw star thats really sweet of you to say. Are you new to sobriety or new to the forum?

Yes I went on Suboxone 5 days ago and Im looking forward to my sobriety

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tavagain wrote:
jonathanm1978- Lol I should have read this one before the other one I got some of my answers already. Congratulations on your newborn! I have a 6 year old son who lives with my mother and sister. I had to give him up at six months to my Mom & Sister when my addiction problem started spiraling out of control. I'm working very hard now to get back into his life. I have always been there for visits but he was never allowed to stay with me for extended periods. So now if I stay clean for a year and go to counseling then I will be able to start making the moves for him to stay with me. Hes my best friend we write letters and draw pictures to each other and talk on the phone. Hes my biggest inspiration to get sober I just hate it took so long for me to realize I was destroying my life. I need to go read your story here in a little bit after I run to the store and thank you so much for welcoming me! I was nervous no one would respond lol. I've never really gotten to visit Alabama or Louisiana, I've heard both are beautiful, most I've done is drive though on Greyhound lol. My BF and I are strongly considering moving away from the city life and possibly Georgia all together. I think its great you're a stay at home dad! I'm happy to hear you and your wife were able to work through your hard times.

Oh and thank you all again I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone as well!

My story is pretty lengthy, because as you can see from most of my posts here, when I do respond to someone or make a reply, I usually am pretty thorough with what I say..most of my replies here on this site are lengthy and detailed, because I believe in being VERY thorough. It leaves less room for questions to go unanswered, and gives someone a bit more to read than only a couple of sentences. I realize not everyone can articulate in this manner, and lots of people have time constraints when they are online and replying to posts, but I have all sorts of time, and when I post or answer someone, I really take time to put it on a personal level and really think through what I'm going to say.

If you want to read-up on some relationship issues that arose from opiates, then my story is one for you to definitely read.
My wife and I had split up when I started going off the deep end..and we were apart for probably 7-8 months. In this time period, I thought that I had found "true love"...but I was only high and blurred..it was the farthermost thing from love that could EVER be. But the hurtful part of it, for my wife, was that I slept with someone else. She, however, did NOT..and it still hurts me to know that I did this to her. She did go out on a "date", ONE time while we were apart...but the guy said my wife was too much of a 'good girl' and said he couldn't be more than friends with her. Not to mention that she had been with me for nearly 8 years, so she didn't know HOW to date, or even how to find someone...so it was really unfair.

During our time together, I never cheated on her, she never cheated on me. We were true to each other..but when we split, I thought she was my enemy, and I got with someone, more for revenge than anything else (AND I WAS HIGH!!!)

Once I cleaned up my life, and looked at how I was living..it physically made me sick. I couldn't stand the THOUGHT of touching some other girl sexually..and I lost interest in the girl that I had allowed to move in to my home with me while wife and I were apart. I actually started sleeping on my couch, and the girl slept in the bedroom, because it was just...."eww" when I thought about sleeping with her. I wanted my wife back, but couldn't have her (at that time), and I stayed as FAR as I could from that girl who lived here.

I won't go any further, but it's a very interesting story to read..and shows how far someone can turn and go in the opposite direction when given the proper tools to fight addiction with (like Suboxone).