It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello there! I am glad I found you all. I have been a regular on another site, and most everyone on that forum hate the idea of using sub to get off of opiates. The general advice I have been given is to not use subs at all. But that's not how I feel.

I have been on sub for a week and a day. I am currently on the 8mg film. I went to an outpatient detox for hydrocodone abuse and Ambien abuse. They gave me one 8mg film a day, and on Friday, when I graduated to where I see the doctor now and don't go back to them every day, they sent me home with a prescription for one 8mg film a day. I am on Doxepin to help me sleep.

I have been addicted to opiates for a long time. I have CT detoxed too many times to count, and it has never worked. This past year, after relapsing yet once again, I was taking about 10 norco 10mgs a day along with 6-8 Ambien 10mgs each night.

My question is if 8mg film sub once a day should be helping my cravings and depression more than it is. I do not feel high on sub. I really don't feel anything at all. It does help curb the cravings somewhat, but I am still having cravings mostly at night after work. The first few days on the sub, I felt like a normal person who didn't want to use and with no depression. But as my body has gotten used to taking this film every day, it almost feels like there is no affect at all. I am still having cravings and think about hydro a lot, especially at night.

Is this normal? Does it take subs a bit longer to work better? I am almost scared to talk to my doctor about this as I don't want him to think I am seeking a high. That's not at all what I want. I want to feel like all of the normal non drug users feel every day. I just want to go about my life without depression and without craving. Please let me know what you all think about the amount of sub I am taking for the addiction that I had. Thank you in advance. I am really excited to have found this board.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am reading on here and seeing that I may not be taking it correctly. I put the film under my tongue, but I swallow as it is dissolving. I swallow a lot because I was thinking the medicine I am tasting is supposed to be swallowed. Am I just supposed to let it dissolve without trying to swallow too much. I am only giving is about 8 minutes to dissolve before I start counting my 15 minutes before I can smoke a cigarette or have a drink of soda. Is this the correct way, or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Of course everyone is different, but based on the amount of opiate you were taking prior to starting suboxone, 8mgs seems like it would be sufficient to stop your cravings.
Since suboxone is absorbed through all mucous membranes in the mouth,not just the blood vessels under the tongue, the longer you can keep the medication in your mouth without swallowing, the more of the buprenorphine will be absorbed by all the surfaces of your mouth. Buprenorphine has very poor bio availability when swallowed, so basically whatever is swallowed is destroyed by the liver and basically wasted. Dr. Junig, our forum's founder actually recommends a method of taking the suboxone to maximize absorbtion by using your tongue to paint all of the surfaces of the mouth with the medication and allow it to absorb that way. The more surface area the medication has to absorb, the more will be. Makes sense, right? If you visit http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com, and use the search feature, and enter the words, "maximize absorbtion", you will find the article explaining the method in more detail. I hope that helps you, and you start to feel better soon, and of course, a big welcome to the forum!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:20 pm 

Hey Teach, yes as Liz has stated I think your dose is fine. But your need to keep more of the dose in your mouth. Please read the post from Dr Junig that Liz provided.

You have found the best forum on the Internet for Suboxone support Teach. Glad your here.
Also, ask your Dr anything you have questions about. Be honest with him.

And remember, paint it on and do not swallow... . Razor...

Great post lizz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks razor! :) razor made an excellent point also about always asking your doctor any questions you may have about your dose, other meds etc. Nothing we say here should be taken as medical advice. We only provide our answers on or own experiences with bupe & to encourage discussion with your own doctor.