It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Newbie needs help!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So, a few of you (thank goodness!) helped me out when I started a couple of days ago. I started with 4 am/ 4pm, and could not sleep/sit/think because of the jitters. I took it down to 2/2 yesterday, which still felt a little weird, but I woke up feeling fine this morning. Will that tingly feeling go away? I sure do hate it. It's like I'm numb....and although I did sleep a few hours last night (unlike the first night), I was completely still & woke up extremely stiff & sore. Yuck. My chronic pain is not pleased.

So... since I feel okay today, does this mean that I found my dose, and that I should just do one dose of 4 each morning? My md wants me on one daily, and that's fine with me, as long as it's the right amount. Is this too little time to know? I feel just peachy this morning, and I'm not excited about feeling those jitters again...ugh...and I want to do the right thing for my body and my mind, as well as my recovery (which might not be the same thing, I realize).

I'm so grateful for everyone's stories and help here. It has truly been a lifesaver to read your stories & questions. Thanks for any advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's quite common for people suffering from chronic pain to take their dose multiple times per day. I think (?) most people with chronic pain take their dose 3 times per day. Apparently, Suboxone's pain control properties only last for 6 to 8 hours. I hate to contradict the advice of your doctor about going to once daily dosing, but from what I know, once daily dosing is usually for people who are treating opiate addiction alone. Is your doctor aware of your chronic pain?

Also, it's completely normal for your body to take a few days to adjust to Suboxone. It's also pretty normal for people to have to play around with their dose a little until they find what works best for them.

As far as your numbness, do you feel numb in general or is it a specific body part that's numb? I think I remember one of our moderators, Taurus, reporting that she started feeling numbness in her hands after starting Suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks, Romeo! I did read (here) about suboxone working for chronic pain. I don't think I'm going to seek that benefit from this drug, though. I'm using it only for detox management. (That's the plan, anyway.)

The numbness is mostly in my upper body--torso & arms/hands. I can feel it in my legs, too, after I take the 4mg dose, but it was not present when I took the 2mg dose. Today, after only 2 mg, it's much less pronounced. I can still notice it if I'm sitting still, so I'm trying to keep moving. I guess that I was on too high a dose initially, but I sure was taking a lot of oxy, and the md said I would have to be on at least 12mgs to feel "well" based on those numbers.

Everyone's different, right? I want to be satisfied with "less is more", and to trust my body, but I don't want to compromise my recovery by not taking enough...and I still don't know how I'm supposed to "feel" while taking this. Ugh. Thanks for your thoughts. It helps so much to know there are folks out there (here!) who have been successful with this. I had never heard of this until 4 days ago...

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey Jolene, glad you are feeling better.

The first week I was on Suboxone it was pretty hellish until I found a dosage and dosage times that worked for me. At first I was on 24mg and went down to 8. 8 was not enough to help with my chronic pain or to stop cravings so I went up to 12mg and have remained there since. I waited 72 hours after each change to let my body adjust.

For your plan, to detox off of Sub's in a few weeks, you want to dose once a day and keep your dose as low as possible without being uncomfortable. If 4mg seems to be working for you, great. It is not too much. If you still feel discomfort or have cravings, you may want to go up 2mg for a few days or so to see if that helps. You're very lucky to have a doctor that is allowing you to find the dosage that works best.

Suboxone has such a long half-life, changes up or down might not be noticeable right away so take that into consideration.

Glad you're doing better!!!