It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Newbie NEEDS HELP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ive been addicted to any and all opiate pills for a few years now, recently i got tired of not being able to function without my 200$ a day habit and started looking into sub doctors. we only have 2 in my area and they were all full so i got on the waiting list. here recently i found someone who was selling subs and started buying those. I havent taken any pills in almost 2 weeks but found out today the dr has a spot for me and i have an appt for my intro tuesday. My question is do i need to be opiate positive at the first apt or am i just honest with him and tell him ive been self dosing subs? How long before the apt do i need to take my last sub so that it doesnt show in my system? Im thrilled to finally be able to start the program and have guidance with the dose and taper, but i dont want to loose my chance my not being opiate positive or telling him about the subs at my apt, any advice is greatly apprecated!!!

Post subject: Re: Newbie NEEDS HELP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I understand the worry you have, but it's usually not a big deal when you have already taken them. Most doctors have seen this many times and will still induce you either way. In fact, your induction should be much easier than those who haven't been on them already! I probably wouldn't give any details, just tell him you had access to a few before you got the call and took them before you knew he had a spot for you. Make it clear that you have no hope of staying sober without them and that you have no desire to stay in that world of having to purchase meds illegally. We never know for sure what the doctor will say, but I would be shocked if he gave you a hard time about it. EDIT: (I wanted to add that Bupe shows in your urine for an incredibly long time and he is going to see that you have it in your system. Add to that the problems you will have switching back to a full agonist opiate long enough to test positive, and you have a bad combination. I think honesty is the best option in this case.)

I wish you the best of luck and welcome to the forum.

BTW - I'm deleting your other threads that contain the same information you posted here. It's much easier for you and the other members who will respond to you to keep it down to one thread with the same question.

Q

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for replying. I will take your advise and hope that he doesnt keep me out of the program due to it. Its very nerve wracking i want this so bad, i NEED this to be more specific. Thanks for deleting the others, im new and was confused on where to post

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Let us know how things go. There are no rules about how to handle your situation, but I would hope that anyone working with buprenorphine would understand how things are out there, and know that people do whatever they can to avoid being sick.

I've had patients come in and admit that they had maintained themselves on buprenorphine products for years. Sometimes I have to correct some bad habits-- like taking buprenorphine too frequently-- but they usually do very well, and I appreciate their honesty. But again, I can't speak for all the docs out there!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes I'm very nervous. Still unsure what to do. I want to be honest as that's the best choice in recovery, but I also don't want to ruin my chance to get help. There is only 2 sub doctors within 150 miles of where I live and it's taken forever to get it. I'm also afraid I'll pay the 250$ to get back in the room and then him tell me no because I've dosed myself and haven't actively taken opiates in over a week. Although I take about 200mg a day when I'm on ops. I switched to the subs when I found them because I was tired of either being High or in severe withdrawal all the time and was going to try to taper myself. Plus I love not feeling high, I feel healthy and clear headed like I never made the horrible choice to abuse opiates. My depression has cleared up a lot within just a week. I just don't want to mess this up. But I also can't afford to get sub off the street anymore if I get rejected either as they go for 30$ a strip here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Not to mention there's not a doubt in my mind as soon as the sub comes unattainable or in affordable I'll be right back to the real deal most likely

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Slb

I can tell you my sub doc has many patients that came in already on sub. He told me if the person is serious about recovery he accepts them into the practice. He also is very aware of the long waiting lists. My doctor is unusual though because when i called to make an appt I was DONE with using and he could hear it in my voice. He kept in contact with me until a spot opened. He didnt' have to do that because others were calling for an appt. The point of this is, if at your appt you can get across that you really serious about recovery I bet it will be fine. IMO he has to feel comfortable that you won't be selling your sub, sometimes it's a fine line. My doc uses his "gut feeling".

To me, you sound like you really want to be done with using. I hope things go well for you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:42 pm 

Hey Slb :)

I totally get why ur concerned about this. U def don't wanna pay ur money and then have the Dr tell u that because there's no opiates in ur system he can't treat u. U have the right to worry about this. But like Q said, u will test positive for bupe in ur drug screen and that's going to prove that ur telling the truth about deciding to take sub off the street to get u by til ur appt. So u have proof and that's a huge plus. I don't think any Dr would turn u away for that. Just tell him what you've told us and I'd think anyone would be willing to help and treat u. I wish my induction could've went that way lol. I see it as a plus because u won't have to go through the withdrawal phase u would normally have to since ur already on sub right now. I wish u all the luck in the world & please let us know how it goes!! Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been debating on whether or not I should call the Dr before hand and ask them about the situation and hope they don't cancel my appointment because I can "get it on the street" cause I can't get the Dr's help and support with getting the correct dose and learning taper on the street by any means. I've read lots of reviews on this Dr, some of which were not so great. I see his staffed has filed on him for lewd Profain sexual or vulgar statements, and also for treatment questionable to be in the best interest of the patients health and well being. That was in a news article and it said he was put on probation for a while before petitioning it be removed. Not sure what that all means, but it has me worried. Some personal reviews said he was an amazing kind caring Dr but one that stood out the most said drug pushing doc ask for pain pills and he will write them, then when you get addicted he will push suboxone on you. Which to me indicates he's probably in it for the money and will give me treatment even if I've been self dosing. I just hope it doesn't mean that he's going to unsupportive of finding the lowest dose that works for me and helping me taper down. Sorry that was so long, I'm a nervous mess. And also thanks for all the replies and welcoming. It's good to know there is a place to talk to other people and get advice on things like talking to family about your treatment when they don't even know your an addict etc. Great page, bless you all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Tuesday cannot come fast enough. I started running out and had enough for half my normal dose yesterday Morning. This after noon withdraws are hitting hard and heavy. Can't get a hold of my guy for anything so it looks I'm gonna have to ride this one out. Wish me luck.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How are you today? It's so hard to know what the right thing to do is. Even though my sub doc is good (so far) after the receptionist says hello she says "do you have your payment?" :shock: So spending $250 to be told No would really stink.

Just wanted to see how you are today...

Wishing you Good Luck on Tuesday!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yuck! I'm so sorry that you are feeling bad and that now you have to worry about the professionalism of your doctor!

TBH - I would still go and see him and get started in treatment. Just be aware that you will probably need to find another doc soon and stay on those waiting lists to prevent a future gap in treatment. I hope you find a way to stay well until Tuesday. In the mean time, hang in there.

Q

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:01 pm 

Hey Slb,

I totally get ur concerns and ur hesitation on this Dr when ur already getting the med off the street. But do u see what can happen getting em this way? Ur unable to get ahold of the person and now ur not feeling good. This is exactly why u should def keep ur appt and never have to put ur well being in the hands of someone who sells em off the street. I have a good feeling that things will work out Tuesday and u will have a daily dose and never worry about this way again. Doesn't that sound great? I know u feel crappy right now, we've all been there but try to tough it out cause hopefully come Tuesday u will be so glad u did this :)