It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:17 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey everyone! I'm new to the community and just wanted to introduce myself and get some words of wisdom if possible...

You can call me Alice. I'm in my mid 30s and have been fighting addiction (opiates/cocaine/benzo's) for the last 16 years. Initiated buprenorphine maintenance (as suboxone) approx. 9 yrs ago. Before that, I was on methadone maintenance (120 mg) for 4 yrs, which I successfully tapered myself down to 30 mg and went cold turkey off the rest (inpatient detox), which was HELL!! I remember being being sick for what seemed like forever and not being able to sleep for MONTHS... words cannot describe the experience. Now I find myself in a similar situation trying to get off bupe, ugh! While I praise this medicine for saving me from total destruction, I also despise it for the very same features which make it such a good maintenance medication and a BEAST to detox from... in some ways even worse than methadone. I started out at 8mg 3 times a day and after relapsing back to full agonists and re-inducting myself a few times, I had successfully gotten myself down to 2 mg (as subutex, twice a day in 1mg doses). I say HAD, bc 2.5 weeks ago I totally screwed everything up!! Let me explain... I had decided I would try to taper a little down from 2 mg and thought the intranasal route might be easier bc there isn't much left of the tablet to put under the tongue once you quarter it. Well, of course you can imagine I got more than I bargained for when it gave me mild euphoria... now it's off to the races!! My brain goes into full addict mode! It might seem strange, but it never occurred to me that I could get high off bupe, bc when I first started out on 8 mg I tried this route and it didn't do a THING! Imagine my surprise when it happened this time! UGH!! Since then I have taken advantage of my low tolerance and have been snorting a full 2 mg pill everyday. I'm so bummed bc I had gotten so far and now I feel defeated. Can anyone help to steer me back on the right track and maybe offer some advice on how to taper myself back to 2mg as quickly and painlessly as possible. Just a recap: I was on 2mg sublingual subutex and started snorting 2 mg about 3 weeks ago... I want to get back down to where I was. Any advice, encouragement, etc would be so appreciated! :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:44 pm 

Hi Alice, Welcome! So happy that you are here and that you want help with this! I think you can be very proud of yourself for being here asking for help. I would imagine that you may need to start over. Start with 2mgs and keep adding until you have no cravings and are feeling ok. Allow yourself to remain at that dosage while you get some support in place. AA/NA, Smart Recovery, Individual therapy, CBT, DBT, something that will support you in your recovery. Then start a VERY SLOW taper! This is how I have heard successful people do it. I hope one of the Doctors will comment to give you better advice than mine. Good luck and please keep posting so we know how you are doing!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you so much Michelle for the warm welcome and words of encouragment! :D

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:55 am 

If I had issues snorting the pill form of buprenorphine, then I'd switch to strips (which is what I am on). Switching to the strips will detour ya from snorting. Do u have a legit suboxone doctor? If so try to switch.

I understand ppl tend to blame suboxone when they decide to taper but it's meant to taper slow and steady over a period of time. There's not a quick way to do it without experiencing withdrawal, slow is the way to go. If u read around on this forum, you'll see that the ppl who tapered the slow way, have almost no withdrawal. So it's not the medications fault.

I hope u can get bk on track and continue a slow steady taper if ur ready to stop suboxone. Do u still think ur ready to stop and go it solo? Whatever u choose, good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Alice, I too used to snort (zubsolv) it lasted way longer but I never snorted a whole one. I couldn't imagine lol but yeah, it definitely gives you a way more intense euphoric feeling. The person I was buying them off of for over a year (never had medical insurance so no sub doctor) all of a sudden got dropped from their program. So I ended up switching to the strips which were easier to find. But that definitely helped my taper situation, not to mention my nasal passages. It all depends on you and your body, I'd say find your normal stable dose, and gradually decrease. There are a ton of threads about tapering on here. You won't have to look very far lol but anyways, welcome! And glad you're here trying to better yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Sorry for the delay in response Jennjenn and Noob, but thank you so much for your advice!

I do have a legit sub doc and I actually thought about switching to the films, but then I'd have to tell my doc that I f-ed up and need to increase my dose b/c of the bioavailability difference. After researching, I discovered that bupe's BA for intranasal ROA is around 40-50% and sublingual around 15%. This is why I'm so bummed about starting to snort my pills... not as much about the actual snorting as the increase in tolerance, which probably has me up to the equivalent of a sublingual 8mg. As far as slowly tapering... it's taken my about 5 years to get from 24mg down to the 2mg I am currently taking, so I'd say I tend to agree that's the way to go! :D Moving forward, I will def check out all the discussions on tapering!

Thanks again for taking time to respond to my post... I'm really stoked to be a member here! :D