It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi All,

Usually I don't like to introduce myself because I don't always know what to say but I love this website and want to actively participate so here I am. I don't know if I qualify to belong on this website since I am on 25mg of methadone and hope to stay on it. I've been an addict off and on most of my life and my story is the same as many of yours.

I got clean when I turned 40, I'm 59 now. Before I turned 40 I was a hard core user of everything. Crystal, methadone, oxycontin, crack, heroin, you name it I was a junkie. But at 40 I managed to get clean and stay that way for 13 years. In that 13 years I built up a great career bought a home, and lived very well until the housing bust in 08. I lost my house and job because of the downturn in the economy not because of addiction but once that happened I ended up so depressed that I started using again. I thought I had beat my addiction but it's true what they say, it never really leaves you. Anyway to make a long story longer I got back on methadone recently after a couple of heroin overdoses. Methadone has always worked like a miracle drug for me. I never wanted to stay on it very long though. Mostly because of the constipation. If it weren't for that I would take it forever. I think I will have to anyway. I can't seem to manage my life without it. I suffer from deep depression and methadone acts like an anti depressant where regular anti depressants don't work.

First I joined a methadone clinic until I could find the right doctor to go to that would legitimitely write me a perscription. I have insurance so I was able to find a pain doctor to help me and he has been writing my methadone perscriptons month to month but he wants me to switch to suboxone and I don't want to. He's certified to write for suboxone and tells me that he can get in trouble for writing for methadone too long but not suboxone. I feel as if he's pressing me to make the switch and it worries me since I don't really want to go that route. Anyway, right now I'm on 25mg of methadone a day which works great and I'm hoping that I can continue to see this doctor without having to change to suboxone. I looked for a methadone forum but did not find one as good as this one. I hope you all don't mind that I chimed in here. thanks

So that's my story in a nut shell. I have lots of questions to ask so I will ask them in the other topic areas. thanks. respectfully, megster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:55 pm 

Hi Megster, I don't know if there is a rule regarding your using methadone and us using suboxone. I know there are many people here who went from methadone to suboxone so if you do have to make the switch there is a wealth of information here on that topic. Good luck and welcome! I'm sure one of the moderators will let you know if you can stay very soon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you for your quick response Michelle. Indeed this site has a wealth of info regarding all things suboxone and also methadone so I will learn a lot and ultimately get where I need to go. again thanks, m

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:38 pm 

Megster,
Your more than welcome here friend. Thanks for thinking so highly of us. We are All here, togather, trying to share our hopes for a better life though recovery. How we all get there is up to each of us.

Yes...this is a place where suboxone is king but we will be glad to hear how your doing it with methadone and maybe we can answer your sub questions or help with your fears.

There is a section here called Methadone Maintenance. Read some of thoses threads and ask questions afterwards Magster..

Ill say this, from what you have told us your Dr is getting antsy. Somewhere down the road he is going to push this switch. And its to bad because I do know people who are well on methadone. Just my opinion. ..

Ive lost alot myself in my active addiction. Tuff deal in your 50s i gota say..but been clean close to 5 years now and life is life but many good things have come ..

I really hope you stay around and read up. Please, make sure you go over to The Talkzone, Dr Junigs blog. Everything you need to read about suboxone is there. He owns this site and is the formost authority on Opiate addiction and Drug replacement treatment. . A big plus for all of us....

Keep posting....

Razor57

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:28 pm 

Hey megster :)

It does seem like eventually ur Dr is gonna make u stop the methadone, and that sucks since it works out so well for u. I'd be very unhappy if I was put in that position since what I was taking works so well for me. But if the Dr forces it, what can ya do? U can either find another doctor or clinic that will prescribe it to u for addiction, or make the switch to suboxone.

I'm not experienced in everything u have to do in order to go from methadone to sub, but there's several threads here where ppl have done it successfully. It can be done if that's something u choose to do. I also think that the ppl who did switch started out on a higher dose than ur on right now, so maybe that's a plus on ur side.

I wish I could be more helpful but like I said, I'm just not that familiar. But I do know that suboxone is very good and once ur body was adjusted to the switch, u wouldn't be disappointed and it'd take care of all ur cravings. Regardless, welcome to the forum!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:13 pm 

Hi Megster! You are welcome here! Although we know much more about suboxone, there are some folks here who started on methadone and switched to suboxone. But there is one member who couldn't take suboxone for some reason and switched to methadone. You can definitely find him in the methadone maintenance section. I think his name is something Boy?

Anyway, I hope that you can continue to get the medication you need. If you absolutely have to make the switch to suboxone we will do our best to help!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:18 pm 

Hey Megster and welcome to the forum! Of course you belong here. Yes, this is a Suboxone site but most importantly it is a recovery forum for opiate replacement therapy. If you read our front page you'll see that Methadone users are just as welcome here as anyone else. The only problem will be that we don't have too many others who are on it right now. You may be the most informed person here about the subject so that is reason enough to stick around and make this forum a daily part of your life.

I'm sort of like you. A Hoover vacuum for any kind of drugs and alcohol. Opiates work so well when you don't have a drink. Maybe they both hit the same pleasure points in the brain. With alcohol, a person's life goes down hill fairly fast. And those friggin' hangovers suck!

And like you, I will most likely be on Suboxone for the rest of my life. I am 2 years older than you so it's hard to even think of not taking it. In fact, I just got off the phone with both my insurance company and doctors office because BCBS wants a pre-approval from my doctor. Duh! He just wrote the script, isn't that pre-approval? The hoops they make you jump through just to get your meds. That is really my only fear. Being denied coverage by my insurance company. I retired a few years ago and cannot afford to pay cash for them. If that day ever comes then it will be the day I stop the medication.

So, are going to stay on methadone or try to switch over to Suboxone? If you've tried both and feel better on meth, then so be it.

rule

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Rule,
Thank you for the warm welcome. The more I read the more familiar I am getting with this site so I'm sure I will find the info I am seeking if I stay long enough. You asked if I thought I would stick with Methadone and my quick answer to that is yes. I really don't see any reason not to. I have not tried Sub or at least not given it a decent try. I took it once when I was drug free just to see if I could catch a buzz and I did. I'd been drug free for several years and my friend was on Sub so I asked for a tiny taste, less than a half mg. and it got me high but I won't count that as anything worth considering.

The thing is that Methadone has always helped me get off of hard drugs and stay off so my body is used to it. I'm sure Sub is practically the same in chemical compounds but my attitude is if it ain't broke don't fix it. The thing I don't like about Sub is the naloxone. I don't feel I need it and don't want it. My liver has enough to deal with so why do I have to take two drugs in one? I guess Subutex doesn't have it in it but who prescribes that? Not too many doctors will. And the price is another thing. It's ridiculously expensive where methadone is cheap. So yeah, I do resent the big pharm companies and doctors teaming up together to push the newer drug so that they all make oodles of money. I mentioned that to my primary care doctor and he agreed with me about that. It's not that suboxone is better. It's just new and more profitable so the push is in that direction and I don't want to be bullied into going that route but man it's been hard pushing back.

My doctor is certified to write for sub. and he told me strait up that the reason I'm having such a hard time getting my perscription is because I'm refusing to take the sub. Having said that he has continued to write for me but he grumbles.

Anyway, I'm getting what I need for the time being. I have to go see him each month and I'm not sure if that is the way it is always going to be? That is one of the questions I want to ask the group. Do these doctors make us come each month or do they eventually lighten up and start writing for every few months? I can't live the rest of my life around doctor appts. I have to leave the state from time to time for months at a time and I'm wondering how anyone travels with this kind of need?

I'm hoping once my doctor gets to know me and trust me that he will write for every few months so I can have a normal life. Does anyone get a longer than month to month leash? This is the first time I have ever gotten " opiate replacement therapy" so I don't know the rules to the game. I've been on and off of methadone clinics before but not for long since they are too restrictive and I could never keep up that kind of routine. I would quit the drug completely before becoming a lifer at the clinic.

But unfortunately at this point in my life I am realizing that I can't cope with my depression without this medication. It's a great anit depressant for me and that's all that I use it for. I don't do any other drugs when I have this one. It's a great drug for what ails me. I would have stayed on it long ago but I always end up getting off of it because of the constipation. A year or two of having to give myself an enema every other day really gets old. So I'd go through the hell of w/d to get clean just so I can shit normally again. Of course it feels good not to be addicted to anything but after a year or two the depression gets to be too much and I relapse which I can no longer afford to do. At my age when I relapse it can be deadly and almost was the last couple of times. So I stay on this drug to keep myself safe first and foremost. It really just keeps me normal and able to function so why stop?

thanks again for your kind response. talk to you later, must run............megster