It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Newbie from Oz
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:18 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi Guys,

I have been reading through a few different forums and finally decided to join one. Hoping this one is open-minded and friendly :D . I am two weeks into taking suboxone. I have had an eight year long codeine addiction which started after a badly broken leg and was taking up to 90 ibuprofen/codeine tablets at the highest point of my addiction. Despite the ridiculousness of my situation with the tablets I still managed to keep some resemblance of a 'normal' life and am currently doing my masters degree and have a very successful career. To anyone looking in I live a normal, professional and successful life but I have this secret side. My family and my partner know nothing about my situation. I would take a packet of 30 Nurofen Plus before work, a packet of 30 after work and a packet of 30 before bed at my worst point. I managed to get rid of taking the bedtime packet a few years ago and recently started to find it really hard to get the tablets due to new pharmacy regulations coming in. This, combined with the fact that I was starting to suffer some really bad health problems from the ibuprofen (major stomach ulcers, severe anaemia etc) forced me into seeking help.

I went to a local doctor and was completely honest about my situation and he started me on 4mg of suboxone. This was not enough to get rid of the withdrawal symptoms so he put me up to 6mg. Physically, I felt like I was coping a bit better but mentally I was still hanging out for my codeine hit. My dose was put up to 8mg and I felt okay on this. I have been on this dose around two weeks now. I have had a fair bit of trouble sleeping and I have also been pretty nauseous at times and been vomiting a bit. My doctor says that these are side effects and will gradually dissipate.

Here in Australia they do not let you take home a supply with you and you are expected to dose daily at a pharmacy. Due to my situation with work and the fact that I don't use any other illicit drugs the doctor is letting me dose every second day at the pharmacy and have a take home dose every other day. This is working okay at the moment but they are talking about me doing double dosing, which means taking 16mg and then coming in two days later rather than having the take home dose. I'm wary of this and even though I know the facts about the half life of the bupe, I have a really fast metabolism and usually quite a high tolerance for drugs as well and I am worried that it won't last like it is meant to. Psychologically, dosing every day is still helping me as I feel like when I take the suboxone I am still getting a rush and therefore not craving codeine. I feel like I need to do this minimum once a day to get through. I don't know if I am actually getting high off the suboxone or whether it's just a psychological thing but I do feel like if I don't do it once a day I will fall apart. I have suffered from major depression and am currently taking 150mg of Pristiq a day for this. I believe a large part of why I took the codeine was due to depression and self esteem issues. I felt like codeine made me calm and confident, good at my work and fun to be around. Without it I just felt so sad.

I have been tempted to take my take home dose on the same day as my pharmacy dose just once to see if the effect does last and whether the high I think I am feeling is increased with taking 16mg and if it will take me through to my next pharmacy dose but I am scared it will do something nasty or I will end up in withdrawal before I can get my next dose. I'm not sure my doctor would like my experimentation!

So I guess my main questions are about whether the sleeplessness and the nausea/vomiting will dissipate, whether the whole half life and double dosing thing really works, and if it does will taking the double dose (ie 16mg instead of 8mg) produce a high that is more than just the 8mg and how long that will last (the 8mg feeling seems to last at from the morning when I take it until when I go to sleep at night but is gone in the morning). Like I said...I don't even know if what I am feeling is a high or if it's just normal...it feels similar to like when I took codeine but not as extreme, a warm feeling in chest and a feeling or contentment.

Thanks for reading :)

Post subject: Re: Newbie from Oz
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:19 pm 

Hello Tassie, so glad you have chosen Suboxforum as your place for support and information.
There are many here who can help you. I myself didnt really know much about suboxone until
i found this place 4 years sgo.

We have had others from Oz come here. So there is an understanding on
how your country treats with Buprenorphine.

Sounds to me you are doing well. It is amazing how quickly are lives can change
once treatment begins.
That rush/little high feeling will go away. Over time your tolerance will
build and your negitive side effects (vomiting, nausea) should too.

Imo, if you arent comfortable with skipping days, maybe stay with what is working.
You seem to have a really good Dr there, the everyday dosing is how Drs do this here.
You seem to have found your stablized dosage at 8 mgs. This is so important in my mind.
Jumping around on dosing isnt what this med calls for.

Do not go from 8 gs to 16mgs "just to see". Not a good idea.It ll throw your stablization.
Plus your tolerance will go up..

The half life can get you though a second day, but again for me, if it aint broke dont fix it.
imo , and im no dr, i like the fact that your good at 8mgs now, and after two weeks feel
good about your treatment Tassie.
Talk it over with your dr again too..
Your stable and doin well. And thats what its made for..
Others will be aloug to answer...just my take...

Razor....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:26 pm 

Hi Tassie and welcome to the forum! Yes, we tend to be low on the drama around here and there are lots of folks who are here to help! (Now just because I said that we'll have some dramatic situation happen.) Joking.

Some people come here to get help tapering off suboxone, and sometimes they are angry at suboxone. They can sound heated at times. But we don't have anyone outright slandering sub. That sort of thing gets nipped in the bud very quickly.

Your situation is not unusual, apart from dealing with frequent visits to the pharmacy. And we do have other folks from Australia here, so we are familiar with that system.

One thing that isn't particularly unusual at the beginning of suboxone use is the desire to play around with dose and see if that can make one feel "high". Some people are probably not going to be satisfied until they figure it out on their own, but I hope you won't have to be one of them.

If you are taking an 8mg dose every day, there will be no euphoric effect from doubling that dose. Suboxone is unique because there is a ceiling limit in place, and going over the ceiling will yield nothing but using up your sub too quickly. Don't mess with it. Anything you think you feel over 8mg per day is purely psychological.

Your body should get accustomed to the medication to the point that you shouldn't feel much nausea after a couple of weeks. The feeling of "well-being" that you may be receiving will also cease as the suboxone builds up in your system and your receptors are covered 100% of the time.

I agree that it would probably give you better results if you stay on the 8mg per day instead of 16mg every other day. However, sometimes our wishes are not as important as the doctors opinion. It is possible that, if you have a high enough metabolism, you may start to feel withdrawal effects by the time 48 hours hits. If that does end up happening make sure to tell your doctor as it may make a difference.

If I haven't covered everything or if you're confused by any of my explanations, please feel free to ask again or for more. :)

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:51 pm 

Hey Tassie! I'm just gonna throw my opinion in here also and I'm by no means an expert at all, just a patient who has experience on this medication like most here. My opinion is if I were u I would avoid the option going a day in between ur dose. Some ppl may not have a problem going a day in between like that but me personally would not like that at all. And honestly u may start feeling crappy by the end of that day in between. If it were me I'd keep dosing every day. Also I don't know how long it takes everyone else, but me it took a good month of taking my exact dose every day before I leveled out and felt stable and confident in the subs. So give urself some time, keep taking the dose ur prescribed and I promise u will see positive results. Its a miracle drug for me. Welcome!!! :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, nothing much left for me to add, except a welcome to the forum! And of course to agree with the others. 8mgs seems to be working well for you, so I'd stick with it, and if it were me, I wouldn't skip a day either. If you do try skipping, and wind up feeling lousy at the end of the second day, imo, it could put your recovery at risk.

Lizzie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:44 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

tassie,
Wcome we are so glad to have you!
I have been on suboxone for just a little over a month. I was prescribed 16mg a day. I was feeling pretty good but not real good until I forgot to take my 8mg in the afternoon one day and then realized I felt waaayyyy better. I was over doing it eith the subs and it actually was making me feel ill especially in the evenings. I dropped it down to about 12mgs a day a started feeling better and better by the day. I have agsin cut my dose to 8mg a day and have finally found my happy medium.
Us who have abused pain killers are used to "more is better" but that is not the case with subs, less is sometimes better...
I was a heavy oxy user and didn't think I would ever get to a happy place in my life agsin unless I was spending hundreds a week staying out of withdraws.
I do not recommend taking two doses in one day and skipping another. You body is still trying to adjust the after shock of not having the drugs. I am not a doctor either and I was guilty of jumping around with my dose only to realize I just needed to take it at the same time and dose everyday. I even went down to 8mgs a day and but was still not just were I needed to be and found that 12 is just right. Again like I said, I am no doc, but all the symptoms your talking about I exspirenced if I took too much... I take 6 mg in the mornings and 6mgs in the late afternoon. Most people only dose once a day but my doc said to dose twice a day and it would keep any withdraws from coming on to early. But always consult with your pharmancy.
Things will get better, it took me a good 3 weeks to get where I am right now. Suboxone is very very potient but very effective too. You will get there, just give it a little time. My life and how I feel has done a 360 and more since I got off the meds and I am taking it one day at a time. There are times I still crave but the cravings go away as quick as they come.
Please keep us advised, one of us will come along checking on your progress and will help you through this.... :)