It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Newbe
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone am new to the forum. I have been reading alot of the post though and have found it to be very helpful . I have been taking opiates for 10 years for back pain and like others have become addicted and had to use more and more to get the same relief. I have spent alot of money over the last 10 years. I lost my home, job ect. All for nothing except a dead end.
I heard about suboxone just recently. I was afraid to try it but I did and am very glad I did. The problem is my shrink said I could only take it for 4 months. I don't know if she understands me . I ask her what I was suppose to do for the pain and she said the pain will always be there.
I am using my iPhone to communicate as I don't have my computer available at this time so I will try and keep up as best I can. I just wanted to say hi and let everyone know I am glad I found the forum to share on.
If there is anyone in Houston Texas please let me know I would like to know if anyone has a doctor in case mine bails on me.
Take care and talk with u soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Txborn and WELCOME!

It sounds like you might need to start looking for a new doctor soon. I'm in much the same boat you are. I take sub for both addiction and pain. I'm staying on it for the long haul mainly because I need the pain relief. Because we're addicts, we just don't have many options left to try to treat our chronic pain, so sub is IT for us. That's why I think you might need to start looking for a new doctor.

Also, did you know that any doctor can prescribe suboxone without the special DATA 2000 waiver as long as they write the script off-label FOR PAIN and not for addiction? Yes, they can. Of course, that doesn't mean every doctor knows that. Many actually don't know that. Perhaps if you have a really good relationship with your family/primary care doctor or even a pain doc, they might work with you to get you the sub long term for you pain. It's just an idea.

Just because you're an addict doesn't mean you don't deserve to have your pain treated. Good luck and keep us posted on your doc situation. Again, welcome. Hope you stick around.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yep, I would definitely start looking for another doctor now, while you still have time, in case you might have to get on a waiting list or something. That way you won't run out of your subs!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

My dr. Told me from day 1 that he would only give me 1 month to be on suboxone. I shared some opinions drom these forums and from dr.junig's site and he said we would give it a little more time. A relapse later and I think he believes me that maintenance is what I need at this point. This worked for me, and you never know maybe if you get real and honest (quite a concept) your doc just might compromise with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's crazy how so many doctors differ in their sub treatment. My doctor told me I would likely need to be on sub for at least 6 months, possibly a lot longer, given my history of constantly swapping one drug for another. I've been high on something for the majority of my life, so she said it would help me with cravings once I get over the withdrawal. I'm thankful that she is not one who will try to rush me off of them if I feel that I am not ready to do that. She said she thinks therapy is needed, but she also said she discourages NA meetings because that is how a lot of addicts get back into their drugs...by meeting a whole new crowd of "hookups." I would never consider NA meetings anyway because I get anxiety having to talk in front of crowds. And I don't like that a bunch of people in the town will know all my business. Anyway, sorry to get off topic...