It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Newb taking the plunge!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:38 am 
New Poster
New Poster

So a little background history i have been an addict for about 7 years starting with pain pills, moving over to heroin than to methadone, oxycontin etc.. I tapered off of methadone about 5 years ago and was clean for about 2 years.. here and there i started taking oxycontin again for a while which was big mistake but hey live and learn right? Next i got on suboxone and worked my way up to 32 sometimes more mgs a day.. Here i am 3 years later and ready to be done with addiction once and for all.. Suboxone has a way of creeping into your body over time and making you feel "numb" emotionally and i just want to feel life again.. So i made the decision it is time to get off of subs. 4 days ago i started my taper and initially I went from 32 mgs a day to 8 mg's, stayed on 8mg's for 2 days and went to 6mg's.. My plan from here is to stay on 6mg's for 7 days and than go to 4, stay on 4 for 7 days and so on.. The lower i get the slower i will go with my taper. I havent felt anything major as far as withdrawls are concerned thank goodness but sometimes my mind is all over the place.. I am planning on being done by dec 31st of this year just because i don't want to loose my job and at the end of december i have 2 weeks off for the holidays and i figure i can use that time to go through the severity of whatever i have coming to me from the prolonged use of this drug.. Anyways sorry for rambling but here goes nothing, wish me luck!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:25 am 

Why would you lose your job on Jan. 1st if you're not off suboxone? What kind of job do you have?

I hope your taper goes well. It is difficult when you rush through a taper, but it may be the right way for you to do this. If you are determined enough to get through the discomfort I'm sure you'll do fine.

My experience with suboxone has been different than yours in that I don't feel emotionless on it. After I started recovery and started taking sub I had to deal with grief and anger issues I had been numbing on my drug of choice. The anger was very close to the surface and there were times I wished I could be numb again. If suboxone were numbing me out I might choose to get off it as well.

Sometimes it helps to start a thread as a diary of sorts in "Stopping Suboxone". You could give more of your story and why you want off and then check in daily with how you're feeling. It can be very helpful to get encouragement from people who can understand what you're going through. Post anytime!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:25 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the welcome Amy! I am a school bus driver and i have 2 weeks off during christmas, i figure i can use that time to go through the majority of the bad withdrawls if they arrise instead of missing work and then in turn losing my job because of all the time i would have to take off from being sick.. Sorry i should have worded that better.. So far i feel pretty descent and i am only on 6mg's, and i am pretty determined to beat this and get on with life.. That is a good idea about putting up a thread in stoping suboxone section i will deffinitely do that because there are times when i feel like i need a boost from someone who has been through it..

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Sub-Zero, Welcome to the forum!!

We have a fella who is just completing his rapid taper, I think today is his first day at zero Suboxone?
Here's a link to his thread if you want to check out how he did it and how he felt along the way.

topic9299.html

Congratulations on going from 32mg to 6mg!! That's huge!!

I see you managed a couple of years of clean time already, but fell back into the pit. Do you mind if I ask what you're going to do different this time to stay clean?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:38 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the welcome Romeo! I will deff check that out.. I have been on 6mg's for 4 days now and i still feel alright, and the main thing is that i am still sleeping good!
Ya know thats a really good question?? How am i going to stay sober? You know i haven't really given that as much thought as i probably should but i do know that i will be starting an exercise program again and i know that will be a huge help, i should probably look into some counseling also.. I am going to have to give it some good thought!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:45 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

welcome to the forum and congrats on your taper. I am getting ready to drop to 0.4mg Monday or tue can remember but I know its soon. This taper is possible with minimal distress. The lower I get the less I am noticing s/e, but that did not start for me until middle of my 0.6mg taper. This is a doable thing with patience and time. good luck I will follow up. DB