It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:56 am 
New Poster
New Poster

After struggling off and on for 12 years, yesterday I joined a suboxone program. There are parts of me that feel I could have just toughed it out in NA, but my pattern is always relapse. Sometimes I wonder if there is just a part of my brain that needs that receptor site filled to feel normal. Even before using opiates, it´s like there was something missing and opiates helped me to do everyday tasks with more ease, such as doing laundry and talking on the phone. It was the getting high on dope or self prescribing pills that caused my life to be unmanageable.

I feel that being under medical care with suboxone will make life manageable. I won´t obsess about whether to use or not to use. I won´t put myself in dangerous illegal situations. I won´t take street methadone, which caused horrible emotional withdrawals.

I hope to look at suboxone as an anti-depressant that I need to giving me a higher quality of life.
Perhaps my hope is naive but I needed to make a change.

Anyone have comments on how suboxone has made their life better or worse.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Taking a Chance

Welcome to the forum. Suboxone has definitely helped me, probably saved my life because when i look back i don't know how i tolerated the amount of drugs i took & didn't die in my sleep or a car accident!

IMO sub is just one part of our recovery program though.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum!

You're not alone with how you felt about thinking something was missing from your brain and opiates seemed to fill that hole. Many of us were the same way. Some of us have chosen to stay on Suboxone long term, possibly for life. Some have quit and use antidepressants to help. Some have quit and use other means to live a happy life. I think you have to do what works for you.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the replies. The place I receive suboxone from includes counseling and groups. I´m glad that I have these services as I know the medication alone won´t solve my addictions and mental health issues.

I am wondering about my dosage. They started me at 16 mg, which seems high in relation to the amount of opiates I was using. The first day was great, but I have started to notice some nodding out, which I don´t want. I am to take 8 mg twice a day. I need to speak to the program about this because I don´t want to nod off. I want the energy I often get from using certain opiates. I remember taking 4mg of suboxone from a friend and feeling quite good, with no cravings.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:22 pm 

There's no reason that you can't try lowering your dose. You can try 4 mg at a time instead of 8 mg or try 2 mg each time. It sounds like you haven't been on sub for very long, so you shouldn't have changed your tolerance too much. Good luck!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:33 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am becoming scared of the side effect of no sex drive. I can´t even masterbate. What happens if I meet someone? Perhaps now isn't the time anyway, but I feel a certain powerlessness and fear of not being able to have a sex life, even a fantasy one with myself.

Does this side effect go away?

I´m currently taking 10-12mg daily and it has been two weeks.

I´d like to go lower but than I am afraid of getting cravings again. The suboxone has also helped me keep away from a romantic obsession with someone who was very bad for me. I think seeing that person filled the same receptor sites as opiates in a weird way. I used him like a drug and it cost me dearly and led to me using more opiate to get rid of the pain of his rejection and lies.

I admit I am scared. Is it possible to be on subonxone and still have a sex life?