It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[align=center][font=Trebuchet] [/font] Hello, I am new to this forum. Well, I have been lurking for some time. I must say, this board has been a great help for me! I am about 28 weeks pregnant and am due in the beginning of Feburary... and I have been on suboxone for about a month now. Prior taking suboxone, I was on strong long-acting narcotic medication for chronic pain. (I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromygalia.) I also have a three years old son, and we're expecting a baby girl this time around. So excited!!

I've been feeling stable and my pain is fairly controlled on the suboxone... so I'm happy about that. With the other medication, I had a lot of issues with tolerance contantly building up. It was terrible! The medication I was using was in patch form. Anyway, I was actually being encouraged to stay on it and pretty much accept that my baby would have to stay in the hospital and be weaned off the medication. After doing a lot of research and feeling unsettled about remaining on the patch, I made the decision to switch to suboxone. I did my switch while inpatient in a hospital. I actually feel more stable on the suboxone... no withdrawals, whereas on the patch, I'd experience mild withdrawals every other day. I know the withdrawals from the patch were brutal... and was really worried about my daughter going through it at birth!!

I'm not sure where I am going with this. Lol. I guess I'm just giving everyone some background. So, now I am on 20-24mg of suboxone daily, divided in four doses. I'm thinking about cutting down to 18mg, but I have heard that the dose makes very little difference and cutting back wouldn't prevent my baby from having severe NAS if she is going to experience it. I have a very good support group. My boyfriend and his family has been wonderful, along with my family. My ob-gyn and suboxone doctor have been communicating. I am seeing a counselor, mainly to help with the stress of being on medication while pregnant and worrying so much about the things I cannot control...

Does anyone have any advice for me? Is there any information I should arm myself with? What should I expect when my daughter is born? I'm planning a vbac... had a c-section after a failed induction with my son. I plan on getting epidural if I need it. I plan on talking to them about using "laughing" gas during labor in place of narcotic pain medication if I need it. I'm not concerned about myself... except for if I end up needing c-section. This worries me a lot!

I'm mainly concerned about my daughter. Should I expect a nicu stay? How can/should I prepare the extended family if she does need to stay in the NICU? My son had very mild withdrawals (I was on vicodin when I was pregnant with him) and ended up staying in the hospital for a week, even though I felt as if he could and should have been released. I'm delievering at a different hospital this time around.

What questions should I ask when I meet with the head neontologist nurse next week? Should I expect a visit from CPS? Is that even an appropriate question to ask my doctors? I'm not worried about meeting with the CPS, I have nothing to hide. The thought itself is stressful though. I want to emotionally/mentally prepare myself for whatever may happen. I'm worried about dividing myself between my son and my baby if she has to stay in the NICU. My boyfriend works odd hours, so he's not around very much with an exception of the weekends. So I feel as if I'm facing this whole thing by myself. How often do suboxone babies need morphine/opium tinture? I read that the weaning process takes about 28 days. I'm so stressed about the idea of having a baby in the hospital for a month. I do want what is the best for my baby, whatever that may end up being. I'm afraid they'll be in a hurry to start her on medications as soon as she shows symptoms.

I'm planning on trying to come up with a plan with the neontologist and have it in writing so everyone knows what to expect (for the most part).

If anyone has any advices, good websites for me to read, or even a personal story to share, please do so! I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Oh, and should I find a pediatrican who is familiar with suboxone/methadone and NAS? It might be hard. I plan on using my son's doctor as her pediatrican, but I don't think she is experienced with NAS, nor is she afflicated with the hospital I'm giving birth at. :(

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

-Bree[code][/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Congrats to you and your family! I had my 2nd son 12weeks ago:) I was on 4mg a day I had weened from 16mg thru pregnancy but I also read that dosage didn't matter... You are clearly already educating yourself as an advocate for your baby:) best thing you can do! Every hospital has different ways of dealing with sub baby's. Some neonatal nurses are wonderful others are not! In my experience it paid to be polite while expressing my concerns about how worried I was for my baby with the nurses. One nurse actually called me 5min after leaving NICU to let me know she just realized she messed up on his previous NAS score she had to take a point off! Just goes too show how they are already seeing a baby in w/d just because of mother being on sub but the woman had a heart and when she realized I was a loving mother she found a way to bring his score down:) We made it known the 2nd day We did not want him on morphine and it was not to be given to him until we discussed it with dr. The dr erased it off his chart that morning! She was probably going to let them administer it! So Luckily the 3rd night when the dr had ordered morphine for during the night "if needed" the nurse said I know you don't want him on morphine the dr will call in the middle of the night to check in and I want everyone on the same page so that nurse actually called the dr to make sure he would wait till morning IF it looked like my baby would need morphine. Now she didn't have to do that or tell me that! Most of the nurses I dealt with I had to drill to know what was going on! They basically only let me hold him to nurse! It was infuriating to me because his "mild w/d's" were common newborn tendencies that could have been soothed by me, his mother at home!!! He would be perfect with me then they'd say he had a rough time after you left no kidding! He gets minimal human contact! You people are making him suffer more!! A$$ backwards! His worst symptom was that his muscles were tight which was hard too see but it was likely harder for him to be alone!! I was the 1st mother they let BF on sub!! thank God my baby was the 1st@ that hospital that went home after 5days WITHOUT morphine!!! All babies born on sub had been staying a month in that hospital! I'm so thankful for this forum and all these ladies posts because I wouldn't have known to be strong against the morphine! However If he truly needed morphine of course I would have wanted him to have it but he did not & I think a lot of babies do not and that is a crying shame! Babies&moms&families are losing precious moments they can't get back! I hope your hospital is a little more chill, some are and let you go after 48hrs I hope that's the case for you.. Try not to stress, enjoy your pregnancy, your baby will be beautiful&healthy! You are already doing whats best for her! IF you have to stay just keep reminding yourself she will be coming home with you soon:) good luck and make sure you post back so we here how you are both doing;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I forgot CPS did give us a visit and a woman who works with them but for the hospital came to our hospital room to inform us they would CPS would be stopping by soon! What a joke! Go save some children who truly need help!!