It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just FYI, Millenium Labs has developed a UA drug screen for Kratom, which I guess isn't picked up by a standard drug panel. Here's a link to a blog post/press release about it:

http://hometestingblog.testcountry.com/?p=22224

The article doesn't say if this test will become standard for pre-employment drug screens, but I figure it's good to know that they can test for Kratom now, though I don't think Kratom is illegal (yet), so would employers even screen for it? Who knows.

Here is another link to an article about Kratom, in Forbes of all places, which is fairly balanced IMO, sensationalist headline notwithstanding:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalv ... c-effects/

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]How in the world did I miss this? I swear it wasn't two weeks ago that I was looking online to find out what the heck
kratom is and how it works, etc.... And wouldn't ya know it, Good Ol' Diary was educating us all right here! LOL!

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the extra stuff you do for this forum....Always going out of your way to make sure
that your posts are informative and accurate, citing references, keeping us updated, etc... This place wouldn't be the same
without ya!

Have a good one and Take Care~[/font]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

This article is a masterpiece. Thanks for sharing. Millenium Labs has developed a useful solution and made it easy to observe Kratom usage and its measure in human body. This is not less than a revolution in this domain.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Carter_09 wrote:
This article is a masterpiece. Thanks for sharing. Millenium Labs has developed a useful solution and made it easy to observe Kratom usage and its measure in human body. This is not less than a revolution in this domain.
Yes what a revolution now they can invade our privacy even further by telling us more things we can't ingest as willing consenting adults. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As always, Wikipedia has a good description of the chemistry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kratom

One nice feature of Wikipedia is that most 'factoids' are referenced, allowing people to go to the original source to decide what to believe.

I had a patient years ago whose husband took Kratom for chronic pain. One morning he had grand mal seizures while eating breakfast cereal. He was in a coma for weeks, and had damage to the brain, heart, liver, and kidneys. The hospital isolated a 'spike' that didn't belong on mass spectroscopy of his blood, but they never determined what the spike consisted of. The final decision was that the spike was likely some sort of adulterant-- a fertilizer or pesticide, or perhaps a deliberate toxin. The guy was getting it from Thailand, so they had no way to tell how many people had handled and transported it before it got to him.

The main effect of Kratom appears to be from activating the mu opioid receptor. There are other alkaloids that have actions at many other transmitters, that probably account for the occasional psychotic episode from ingesting the plant. People tend to have positive opinions of things that are 'natural'..... but it is good to remember that 'natural' doesn't mean 'safe'; there are plenty of toxins in the plant and animal world.