It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New Tonight!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:21 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, everyone. I am a REALLY new subox client, 40yo female from Missouri. A quick run down:

Began the opiates 23y ago, experiential at first. Began heavily using (tons) 12y ago. Got clean with the help of treatment and NA in 2004. Relapsed in 2010 and have had trouble since.

Most recently, I've been using opiates almost daily, and seriously only like 5-20mg per day of hydrocodone. I want to be opiate-free again, but because this disease is progressive, the cravings are just so much.

So, I've decided to try this subox drug that my beliefs had previously been so against. I'm terrified of the thinking and cravings I've had lately. My 'dream' is to be opiate free, including the Sub, soon.

I have an appointment in 6 hours for my initial visit. I had the intake this morning already. Because I screwed up and couldn't keep from taking anything, I took my last10mg hydro this morn and tried a 4mg Subox at 4p. I don't plan to let them know I tried my first Subox already.
Any insight??

Post subject: Re: New Tonight!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A couple thoughts... I have a blog post about the issue of whether to start buprenorphine meds in a person taking only hydrocodone: http://suboxonetalkzone.com/hydrocodone-vicodin-addiction-and-buprenorphine/

It can be a tough call, because I hate to push tolerance higher, but hydrocodone addiction left untreated will often become heroin addiction. You've already taken buprenorphine, so your tolerance is probably not an issue anymore.

Many programs drug test new patients, and they will likely see that you took buprenorphine. I don't know how your doc will see it; I don't have concerns about seeing buprenorphine in the urine of new patients because I have had many new patients who were 'treating themselves' for years, while searching for a prescriber. Of course I have concerns about where they got the medication, and I try to find out if it was obtained from one of MY patients... but anyway, you are probably better off being honest from the start. I write that knowing that there are some crazy docs out there-- docs who would say something like 'since you're taking illicit buprenorphine, I worry you will sell YOUR buprenorphine'. I find that logic to be a stretch, and I know that people in withdrawal are compelled to find ANYTHING to relieve those symptoms... and that situation is a far cry from the mindset to sell medication.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:48 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Just an update:
Yay! Got my rx for strips! The doc suggested .5 - 1.5 strips per day and to find what I was comfy with. I've managed on taking a half strip this morn and again later this evening. The withdrAwals are minimal

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Just an update:

I've found that while I hate the side effects, I can't help but take the full amount of 1.5 strips my doc approved. This makes me very nervous and fearful. So mentally, I'm a wreck taking sub.
Physically, I'm a mess. I haven't pooped since I began them, 9 days ago. My stomach looks and feels huge, and because I'm so full, I feel like I have to vomit constantly. I've tried everything short of Relistor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:55 pm 

I'm not sure exactly how low ur tolerance is to opiates because I'm confused about how much u were actually taking before starting suboxone. But all this nausea feeling and being horribly constipated and just miserable feeling on suboxone sounds a lot like the suboxone is too strong for u. But like I said, I don't know exactly what ur tolerance was before. I always suffered constipation, way before Suboxone because I was putting so much opiates in my system, I couldn't go to the bathroom. It's definitely not as bad on suboxone as it was during active addiction for me. Also bk in my using days, I'd get this nauseating feeling any time I took to much of something which all stems bk to tolerance. When I started suboxone treatment, I didn't have any major side effects only relief. So it does make me think that ur tolerance was low which is what Dr Junig was talking about with hydrocodone and starting suboxone treatment. But if that's the case, and that's why ur feeling rough, ur body will eventually adjust. It'll just take a little bit.

I could be wrong about the tolerance thing, but that's what it sounds like to me....but I'm not a dr.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Switching to subs from a low dose of Vicodin seems like trying to put out a fire with gasoline to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Excuse that post before, I am new as well and still learning. Well I have to say congrads on getting on Suboxone, because those craving can be terrible, even if you were on that small of a dose of vics, you were abusing narcotics in the past a lot heavier if I understand correctly. I just think Suboxone is the answer when it comes to pain meds, craving, addiction... Yes Suboxone, if you can get past the side effects your having, then I'd stick with it. It's your call but that just my opinion. Good luck to you in what ever you choose. You are at the right place though, this forum. The modulators and Dr. here will know what to tell you.