It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New TLC Show "Addiction"
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So TLC now has this new show called "Addiction" and I just watched my first episode. Again, I do not understand why they are shoving theh 12-step model WITHOUT suboxone down the throats of society. Yet another show out there and ALL of these poor desperate people sending in messages to this woman's blog and no mention of suboxone. Every time someone like this fails to mention it to an addict or their family they are causing harm to that person. I hope they will actually get into the suboxone topic on this show. I would love to post to the blog but I do not have this type key account thing and have no idea how to get one. Anyone know how to do this without paying for it? Is that possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I must admit I've never watched any of these types of shows - Hoarders, Addiction, Intervention, etc. My take on it (without having seen them, mind you) is that these shows and their producers exploit people with real-life problems simply for the sake of ratings, and ratings = money.

Maybe some of you who watch them could help me understand how they aren't exploiting these people? I mean, maybe I'm way off base here - I've been known to be wrong on occasion. :lol:

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh I think they are TOTALLY exploiting these people. AND....I also think that these people are probably getting free rehab out of it so it could be worth it for some anyways. These shows also taught my husband a lot about addiction that he didn't know since I am the only person he knows with an addiction. His Dad was a bit of an alcoholic when he was younger but to this day his dad doesnt' drink. So David always thought addiction and addiction behaviors were conscious choices made by the addict. He always thought it was a people problem or morality problem. Then he started watching the shows and he has learned that it was a disease and has learned to separate the addiction behaviors from the person. It has taught him compassion. He also always thought a person would be stupid to be taken advantage of by these addicts and then I think he learned that these family members just love the addict and that is ok. The addict may step on the family members but it doesn't mean the addict doesn't love the family member. I also think they bring addiction to life as a disease for the rest of society and it draws attention to the epidemic and that something needs to be done about it aside from judging the addict.

I am not sure we would still be together without some of these shows. I don't think he would have been open minded enough and would have been SO resentful and angry at ME instead of turning that anger and resentment toward the addiction. That is the only part I like about them.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:50 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I love hoarders but yet it just drives me crazy...They can't throw away an item but yet it's been buried in trash for the last four years and they probably forgot it existed...Yet, I feel sorry since an addiction is an addiction.....The things I hate about all of these shows like "addiction", "celebrity rehab", "Intervention" is that they pretty much say that the 12 step program and intense in-patient rehab is the ONLY WAY to successfully rehabilitate yourself. Then they show them doing all of these fulfilling activities now that they are fixed...Like going scuba diving or mountain climbing since you can't do that on suboxone, right? The fact of the matter is a lot of people do not have these shows paying for these expensive outpatient facilities and most insurances aren't going to cover them. a lot of people can't afford to dish out 10,000 dollars plus not work for a whole year. That's life.

It seems like a lot of people are doing fine on this board from using suboxone and peer support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It does seem that way doesn't it?

I would love to stand outside of Sober House picketing with suboxone works signs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to admit I am a fan of Intervention. I really like the people that put on th intervention I think they really make sense and give the families great advice almost forcing them to make the tough descesion about what they are going to do if that person doesn't get treatment. We don't know for sure whether suboxone is part of th treatment because they focus on the addiction and the enabling of a family member(s) and the ones that can't take it anymore and you truly see how it tears up a family. I for some reason try and predict within the first 15 minutes whether or not they will get it or relapse (not sure why just watching the behaviors). It truly is sad when you see the effect it has on family and I am a bit embarrased to admit I usually can't make it throuh an episode without a tear or to. Some of these people are so hurtful to family while in active addiction and they just take it. I like that they offer counseling for the family as well. It is amazing when we love someone what we will put up with. When I was kid my Dad was a big Elvis fan and of course I became one too. I saw a documentary one time when Elvis was real bad and was super heavy and looked terrible........People loved him so much that they were willing to take him anyway they could get him.......high or not. This disease is something else.......I will take Intervention over that clown show Celebrity Rehab anyday........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to explain to me the positives of these shows. I guess I've never thought of it that way before. Of course that's because I'm into the whole black-and-white, right-or-wrong, good-or-bad thinking. I have to work at moderation in my thought processes.

I've caught bits of Intervention and there's one major thing that bothers me about the show. I personally don't believe that forcing someone into rehab through threats and ultimatums is the way to go. How many people really stay in recovery when they didn't fully choose it for themselves. Does the show ever do any follow-ups? If they do I'd almost expect them to show only the ones who stay sober, but never point out the ones who relapsed right out of rehab.

And because of you guys I can now recognize that there are positive aspects of those shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hatmaker: I think you may be missing the point of the intervention just a little bit. I don't think that the point of an intervention or the Intervention Show is to "force" someone to get help. Now that may be the result of what takes place, but what they are doing is taking away all of the things that are enabling the addict to continue. As they say on the show, most addicts would not be able to continue in their addiction on their own without help from family, friends, etc. These well-meaning family members continue to provide them with free room and board, money to buy drugs, free child care, etc., etc., etc.. Once those things are taken away, the addict is often no longer able to continue in their addiction. Yes, that may "force" them into treatment - but honestly, they could chose to live on the street, go to a shelter, etc. It's just that these choices don't look very appealing to them. It is sad but very true that in many, many cases, addcits are being hept in their addiction by well-meaning but WRONG family members who continue to enable them. The other thing that I have read multiple times and seen in the HBO series on addiction is it is a misnomer that addicts really need to hit a bottom in order to want to get help. The experts have now found out that this is not really true and that addicts will get help without a bottom - even if it seems like they are being forced into it.

That is just what I have seen, heard, read, researched, etc. Hopefully you'll give it some consideration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Don,
I've considered what you said and I don't disagree with you. I'm thinking perhaps I over-generalized the whole process based on one particular theme I've seen running thru a couple of episodes. I recall the addicts not losing that enabling support, but instead being given the ultimatum of rehab or jail. The guy hadn't even been arrested or charged, but they threatened to have him arrested for possession based solely on their knowledge of his use. That would be like a cop telling me on Monday that he "knew" I was driving drunk on Friday and so he was going to arrest me, based on zero objective evidence. I consider that to be a threat and/or ultimatum.

That said, I also don't disagree with what you said about addicts not having to hit rock bottom to succeed in recovery. Personally when I went on suboxone things had gotten really bad, but considering my behavior I could have easily fallen so much farther down. I was just lucky in my circumstances.

I sincerely appreciate your perspective and input, as that's the main reason I joined in on this thread - to better understand and realize the positives that these shows can offer. And the replies here have definitely been educational for me. I wasn't trying to argue, just to get other perspectives, which you've all given me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Donh and I must have been reading or watching the same thing because I heard people not only don't have to hit bottom to get into recovery, but often those who are most successful still have something to lose and they remain "clean" because they don't want to lose those things. I know for me my greatest incentive is my husband and I KNOW he is NOT doing another round of active addiction with me. I would be miserable without him since he IS the MOST AMAZING man in the entire world. Not my opinion. It is TRUE! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For this addict it was like watching a bad movie and I know how it ends........and it ends very badly. I decided to get treatment before the movie ended. Intervention does do follow up shows that include those still sober, those that have relapsed and unfortunately one who died. The epidsode your refering to that kid was also leaving rent free in his grandma's home and the cop knew him. His family loved him and was willing to do anything for him and as an addict he was an asshole. One episode they told the girl they would turn her over to the police because she was violating the terms of her probation and she chose jail............but she is sober in jail. If I knew about suboxone 2 years ago I could have helped my nephew (19 yrs old) instead he is doing 14 years in prision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not sure what episode you may be referring to Hat Maker but I can assure you that a police officer cannot arrest you or anyone else for something that you may have done days ago that there is no evidence for. If they do try to arrest you, that case will never hold up in court. I have dealt with patients who have overdosed on drugs and rarely are police officers able to arrest them - because the drugs have been taken and the patient is no longer in possession of them. Someone cannot be arrested simply because they used a drug and someone knows about it. The majority of the time, they are arrested for possession of a controlled substance. Again, not knowing the episode, I would have to guess, and have seen many times, that family threatens to have someone have police called on them because the family knows that the police will find drugs on them at the time and that is a crime. Having police come to be told that the family member used a week ago, won't provoke any sort of an arrest. There has to be evidence.

For me, the much bigger point to all of this, is family members having the guts to save someone's life by having the courage to have them arrested. The addict has a choice - go to rehab or be arrested. The choice then becomes their's. The problem is, for family members who cannot bring themselves to do this, it often becomes (for the family member) the decision to continue to enable the addict to use until the addict actually overdoses and dies. The more and more I find out about this God awful disease, I find that far too many family members are the reason the addict is able to continue to use and then sometimes goes onto overdose and die. If "cut off" from all support, that addict would not have the wherewithal to abuse drugs on their own. It's the family member that continues to enable them to use - often because THEY cannot bring themselves to do what is necessary - and sometimes what is necessary is having the addict arrested. As much as I would ever hate to be in that position, I would much rather my loved one be safe in jail rather than dead on the street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think I've said twice now that I'm open to seeing the positive aspects of these shows. You all have shown them to me and I appreciate it. The main reason I posted on this particular thread was for the purpose of learning about those positive aspects that I was missing.

Again, I thank you and will leave it at that.

Post subject: so pathetic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:45 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have never even seen this show, but to put this all out in public is as pathetic and crazy as well as alot of stuff that is going on in this so called usa today. I dont care to watch this dumb show, I can just imagine how the whole us now, really thinks addicts are even worse now, I bet everyone is going crazy trying to find drugs, maybe that's why young people are dying or trying to get high on opiates mainly. Sorry but this really ticks me off that here we are legalizing weed which of course all us opiate addicts know does not work mostly for us. At least from my honest experience, I have found out that I DO NOT get along at all with "teaheads" or "potheads" as they call themselves. Why not dedicate a show now to potheads, why oh why when my life sucks so bad as an opiate addict, does this crap have to be put on tv!!! for everyone to see?
I'm ready to trash all my crap, I'm sick of my boring lifelong hobby anyway, I'm ready to junk it all and pack up and move to Europe and get outta the crappy usa alltogether. I HATE IT HERE. I have no friends here anyway, my family barely tolerates me. I just wish I could just move and leave this nonesense behind.

I think this stupid show should be taken off the air, because I think it is just fueling the pathetic "war on drugs", now that opiates, my only antidepressant that gave my life back to me after years of depression and suicide attempts while on just crappy booze. Now is suddenly seemingly being scrutinized. If only it wasn't for that idiot Rush limbaugh, this wouldn't have started as soon as it did maybe. Nothing is working for me right now, I'm ready to end my pathetic life, I feel no hope in sight and yea I know everyone gets sick online even of hearing my rambling, but I just had to chime in on this one, it ticks me off so bad. I mean come on, how much worse will this country get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

subcozied39,

Well before you move to Europe you might want to watch the show because that could be causing some confusion for you here. Are you ok? I don't get "tired" of your rambling. I do have a hard time following you sometimes and I also get a little concerned for you sometimes. You say a lot of heavy things in some of your posts and they come across with a lot of "tone" to them. Some of what you say is so serious and I have a hard time trying to determine if you are really serious or if you are just one of those people who sounds much more serious in writing than how they really feel. So I will just ask....Is everything ok today?

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

subcozied39,

I'm no doctor or anything like that but have you tried visiting a therapist or self-help group? Addiction effects people in all different ways...Some recieve more mental scars than others. I'm worried if you can't express this other than online it could lead to something dark down the road. You are always welcome to vent online and talk to us but if you really are as troubled as you claim I would urge you to seek professional help.

I do however disagree with you about the whole "pot" statement you made. While yes, most of the people who use it are using it illegally but why does it matter? It's much more less intoxicating then booze and isn't addictive or really promote crime. I know whenever I'm stoned the last thing on my mind is going out and commite any crimes...I'm much more happier in doors, drinking some juice and playing video games. However, my uncle went through a high-end chemotherapy treatment and if he didn't have marijuana he would be dead. He couldn't eat and he was too weak to take painkillers. The pot gave him his appetite back, took some pain away and nearly saved his life. We are just now beginning to realize the true power/potiental pot has. If you don't get along with all of the "teaheads" and "potheads" then you wont fair well in Europe as pot is legalized is most places there and if not legalized is not enforced at all.

Moving isn't the answer to your problems...You have to face your problems. I know, I'm not a doctor or an expert but I have been through heavy depression and know running from your problems doesn't solve anything since you can't run from yourself. No matter where you go you will always be you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Watch these shows with the old lady and there ok. One thing though it always seems the people releaspe and to be honest i think the reason for this is people are forcing the addicts to go to rehab. It is not there choice to go, i mean ya not everybody on these shows releapse but quite a few do. I know if i was forced to go i would be pist and i probably would go if an intervention would have been givin to me. But dont know if i would have stayed clean knowing i was not ready to get clean cause i thinks its something you youself want to do. Now im not saying intervention is not a bad thing cause it might save someones life im just saying im never surprised when i see those words come up, a month after they left rehab they relapsed, as it often happens. atleast on the A&E verison of the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:05 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That is true...I think it is a problem you have to address yourself...I think some people just don't realize they have a problem. On most of these shows its not just that they're addicts, it's because there family is supporting them. They're sending them money, paying for their bills and continuing to trust them despite the fact they've stole thousands and thousands of dollars. If the family stood up and said "No, we are no longer going to support you and your druggies ways." the addict would run out of choices. Addiction doesn't just effect the person it's going through, it effects everyone around them.

At least show is better then Dr. Drew....They have the decency to send the people to detoxes before hand and keep them in rehab for longer than 3 weeks.