It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New to this
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:45 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone. So I have some questions. I'll tell you my story first. About 6 years ago I suffered from wounds received in Iraq when a bomb went off on the vehicle I was in. I was rushed back to the states where I saw many doctors for different things. But my favorite doctor was my pain doctor. He prescribed me 90 oxy 20s a month for breakthrough pain and 120 perc 10s. This went on for a year or so. It was then decided I was no longer of use to the military so I was discharged with a month of meds and a referral to a va doc. The va doc they sent me to did not agree with narcotics and put me In physical therapy. I of course thought that was stupid and began buying any pain pill I could fine. About a year ago or so I got tired of it and came across someone that had suboxone to get me off the pain meds. It worked. I actually took one would stay sober for a week and would beg for another. Eventually it came to that's what I needed. Yesterday I broke down to my va doctor about it. Told him I was tired of breaking the law. I was pretty open about it. He was pretty cool about it and refered me to the va suboxone doc. I didn't even k ow they had this. My question is. They just called me and set up an appointment for next week. Is he going to deny me suboxone of I have them in my system and not pain meds? Should I just tell him what I've been doing. I really don't want to take pain meds just to get suboxone but I know this will change my life in a big way. Please let me know what I'm in for om the first visit and what I need to do. Thank you all so very much. I've been reading this forum for a long time but didn't want to get on here still buying the things because it felt wrong.

Post subject: Re: New to this
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome Br....

I'm sorry you were hurt in Iraq. We're all grateful for your service. YOu've undoubtedly
been through hell.

As to your question, I would be completely honest. You don't want to start taking dope again
and then have to go into WD to get back on. That's carrying things little too far :D

If he's a VA doc, he's heard it all, seen it all. I honestly don't think you've got anything to worry about. Your honesty
and candor in your opening post is very appealing. Just let that be your guide,

But I'm unclear...did you say you were only taking one tape a week? That seems pretty awful
if I understood you correctly...

Best wishes,
Godfrey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:07 pm 

Hey Brbr! Thank u for ur service! So sorry to hear of ur injuries.

Agree with Godfrey 100% be honest with ur doctor.

When my doctor has a patient come in that's already on suboxone and been buying it off the street, they don't have to go through the withdrawal process. They still have to come in and do the induction I think, but that's just him watching u take ur buprenorphine he's prescribed. U get to skip the withdrawal part because there's no point in that as long as u haven't taken any other opiates and solely been on buprenorphine. In my clinic, you'd be drug tested so he'd know if u had taken anything other than the buprenorphine. But if someone has taken any benzodiazepines, he may wait until that's out of ur system. Now not all bupe doctors are like that with benzo', but mine is. Just something u may want to be aware of.

I don't know how ur doctor will do things but I wanted to give u an example by how mine does patients who're already taking buprenorphine at the time of their first visit.

Hope everything goes well and good luck!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey br, welcome and I hope you stick around at least through your induction for some support. I'm pretty new here and just started subs a week ago. You have nothing to worry about, and will benefit from being as honest as possible with your doctor as he prescribes the amount of Suboxone that will keep you comfortable based on your prior use. You shouldn't worry about having opiates in your system for the appointment - that would be a terrible method of determining the need for suboxone since it is recommended you attend that appointment in withdrawal and wouldn't have the full amount of opiate agonist in your body that you're used to, anyways! If you're still having anxiety over this appointment I recommend you call the office and ask if you can briefly speak to a nurse about what to expect. They will likely tell you to look up the COWs opiate withdrawal scale and recommend you score around a 10-20 on it before starting the suboxone to avoid precipitated withdrawals. You said you are already used to taking subs so this is likely an unnecessary step for you, you already inducted yourself! Tell your doc what dose of suboxone has made you comfortable before, for how long, and about your prior use of pain meds (both illicit and prescribed). You are not on trial here, this is going to work great for you and you will be relieved of the many burdens and worries of supporting an active addiction. Do your best to stay away from opiates in the mean time, if you have to use stick with the subs - there is danger of overdose going from suboxone to large doses of other opiates due to suboxone's ceiling effect and we don't want that!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:13 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. I was honored to serve and wouldn't change a thing. Wish I was still in but that isn't the way it went. And to adswer Godfrey no i started out that way. Now I'm taking about 1 8mg strip a day. It's a very expensive thing to do but I'm a better person then I every was on pain meds. I hate breaking the law and hate that I never for sure know if i will be going through wd that day or not. I just don't want them to say I clearly don't need a prescription because maybe I'm addicted to those.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Brbr your valuable services to the country are truly appreciable. I also agree with others honesty will lead to better management of situation. Good to hear you are improving on...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:08 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Brbr wrote:
Hello everyone. So I have some questions. I'll tell you my story first. About 6 years ago I suffered from wounds received in Iraq when a bomb went off on the vehicle I was in. I was rushed back to the states where I saw many doctors for different things. But my favorite doctor was my pain doctor. He prescribed me 90 oxy 20s a month for breakthrough pain and 120 perc 10s. This went on for a year or so. It was then decided I was no longer of use to the military so I was discharged with a month of meds and a referral to a va doc. The va doc they sent me to did not agree with narcotics and put me In physical therapy. I of course thought that was stupid and began buying any pain pill I could fine. About a year ago or so I got tired of it and came across someone that had suboxone to get me off the pain meds. It worked. I actually took one would stay sober for a week and would beg for another. Eventually it came to that's what I needed. Yesterday I broke down to my va doctor about it. Told him I was tired of breaking the law. I was pretty open about it. He was pretty cool about it and refered me to the va suboxone doc. I didn't even k ow they had this. My question is. They just called me and set up an appointment for next week. Is he going to deny me suboxone of I have them in my system and not pain meds? Should I just tell him what I've been doing. I really don't want to take pain meds just to get suboxone but I know this will change my life in a big way. Please let me know what I'm in for om the first visit and what I need to do. Thank you all so very much. I've been reading this forum for a long time but didn't want to get on here still buying the things because it felt wrong.

Well, I can only tell you a little of my own story and hopefully you will have the same kind of experience. Like you, I, too, had been taking Suboxone illegally before I got into treatment. I came to my first Suboxone appointment and told them all about it and all they did was ask what dose I had put myself on and if it seemed like it was enough and working okay and then they talked with me a bit, took my pee, did vitals, advised a means of support; groups, etc, then gave me my first prescription. I think you will find they are more willing to help you to get your Suboxone the right way than to harm you by denying you. At least that has been my experience. I think it's a completely different story if you show up on your first day without either Suboxone and/or full opiates in your system and/or not going through withdrawals from said opiates because then it looks to them suspiciously like you're trying to get the medicine to sell or share.

But in my experience they have no issue taking on a patient who comes in with their urine dirty with illegally gotten Suboxone as long as you make it clear that you had no other way of getting off opiates and want to go about it the right way now. For myself it was an insurance issue; I didn't have any for awhile so had to get my Suboxone in other ways, but, I had been through a program with a Suboxone doctor before for a few years before they kicked me off due to the two year rule, then for awhile I got my Suboxone from friends and family until I got insurance again and went looking for a clinic to get it the correct way.

My sweet girls; Hermione & Ginny. My little adopted fur-babies since summer 2013! ^__^

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:36 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

skayda,
what is/was the two-year rule?
sis