It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:38 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi. My name is Rick and I am new to this website. I could not stop using opiates until I started taking Suboxone 10 years ago. Currently, I live in southern Michigan and drive to Indiana to see my Suboxone doctor. 10 years ago, it was hard to find a doctor that prescribed Suboxone.

I visit Dr. Rutt every 3 months. Last visit, he told me he was retiring at the end of the year and that I needed to find somebody else to obtain Suboxone. I am scared because I don't want to wean off Suboxone and I believe most doctors start patients on Suboxone w/ the intentions of weaning them off once they got their life stable.

My life is stable.....I don't feel normal w/ out Suboxone. Early on I tried to wean off Suboxone twice and went back to using within 2 weeks. I only know 2 lives - life on Suboxone and life off Suboxone and the latter is not much of a life. Hopefully I will find answers or at least others that feel like I do on this site. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are politics on both sides of the issue of 'when to stop' (or whether to start) buprenorphine. I have seen what you describe--- people who thought themselves to be done with opioids for good, who came back in worse shape a few years after stopping buprenorphine. Realize that there are studies, showing outcomes on buprenorphine far greater than outcomes with traditional treatments. But there are also misinformed politicians and DA's who only see buprenorphine as a diverted street drug ( a situation made worse, every time another doc stops treating with Suboxone because the hassles just aren't worth it). Then there are some AODA counselors who see Suboxone as a direct threat to their livelihood. There are the pimp docs who sell 'detox' with Suboxone, not seeming to care what ultimate outcome faces their customers.... but determined to avoid filling up their 100-patient list.

I hope that reason and science play the strongest role, in whatever happens to buprenorphine. But right now, your perception is correct--- there are fewer docs prescribing Suboxone than a few years ago. People at NAABT say that their 'match rates' or patients have dropped below 50%.

It would be cool if Obama had a press conference over the fact that drug overdose has surpassed motor vehicle accidents as leading cause of death in young adults in some parts of the country... put it out there for discussion, since it is killing more young people then our two recent wars did... But I see that Michelle is visiting my state tomorrow, to 'Watertown', (a city that has 'water' in the name), in order to promote... the value of drinking lots of water. I don't see the needed serious discussion popping up on anyone's teleprompter....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:24 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The value of drinking water? Seriously? Lord. Next we'll have PSAs on the value of breathing air.

Regarding suboxone's bad reputation, mainstream is not helping things at all. I remember an episode on Celebrity Rehab where the doctor was giving someone a hard time about staying on sub. "Why are you still on that?" "That shouldn't be used for more than 3 days." "We got to get you off of that first and foremost!" I had just started sub when that show aired. I was already struggling to prove to my husband that it was a reliable medication and that I wasn't just trying to "cheat". So, really bad timing on watching TV with hubby!

Another time on the show, a musician was being "treated" from a long history of heroin use and major trauma issues. I will never forget one episode when he was all off everything and working SO hard for his recovery. But he knew he was starting to get weak and started really struggling. I remember him begging them for another sub. He said he felt safe on sub. They scoffed and relented and told him to man up basically. He was considered their finest success story . . . until he died from an overdose sometime last year. I'm not trying to say that show has blood on its hands but at the very least it should motivate people to take a second look at sub treatment.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It's not easy but you will get used to life without opiates. Our bodies are good at adapting to change, and our minds can be managed with the right will - if you have the sincerity you will learn to cope if you find the right friends, therapists (if you feel it necessary) and lifestyle choices. Unfortunately coming off buprenorphine does take a long time of adjustment, so be prepared and don't let that cloud your perception of what sobriety and reality are like. Life is good and you can enjoy it naturally without things to dumb it down for you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Rick,

I would encourage you to look very hard for a new doctor. You're right, I struggled to find a doctor that would keep me on suboxone after my first doctor made me taper and basically left me for dead. It can be hard to find the right one, but they are out there and you have the right to be treated with suboxone as long as you deem it necessary.

Can you get off suboxone and live a happy, fulfilled life? I think you can, and I know several who are...but you have to be ready and really want it. And it doesn't sound like you are there yet...I'm not either, and it's okay.

Just to let you know...the doctor I finally found was referred to me by a friend. He did not advertise his suboxone program at all, and was not listed on the matching web sites. You might try cold calling a few offices or calling a local pharmacy and see if they will release the names of the doctors they fill suboxone for. You may have to did deep and hard, but I have faith you will find someone to help you!

Q

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:49 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks horsegal2.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Rick, have you had any luck finding a new doctor? At the top of this page is a heading titled, "Find Suboxone Doctors." Try it and see if you get anywhere.

10 years ago when you first started looking for Suboxone doctors, I'm sure there weren't too many around, but I think you'll find there are more doctors out there now who prescribe Suboxone.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Rick.

I would def find a new doctor to continue treating your addiction with Suboxone. The first time I was on suboxone, my insurance dropped the medication, so i thought that I should taper off the meds too. BIG MISTAKE.

I tapered off the meds, and relapsed. Just saying that if Subs are working for you and the only reason you are thinking of tapering is because you Doctor is retiring, I would def start looking around. Maybe ask your Doctor if he can recommend someone. He may be directing his people to go somewhere when he is gone.

I strongly believe the addiction is a disease that should be treating like any other disease with medication.