It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: New to this & Scared...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Everyone;

I decided to go on Suboxone about a month ago after another friend had began the program and was quite successful. She looked and seemed great. I had been takig about 100 mg of Oxycodone a day and was at a point in my life were I just felt like I couldnt do it anymore. I contacted a doctor who does the program and he agreed to see me this last tuesday after I had been clean for 24 hours. So Monday I took my last Oxy, and it was like saying goodbye to an od friend. Then I got in the doctors office late the next morning and 24 hours sober. Im crying, sweating, dry heaving and he gives my a prescription to go get filled and barely discusses the process with me, but tell me he will see me next week. We go to Walgreen and I get the meds 10 mins later. I am precribed 1/2 a tab 3 x day. I take my first dose. I wait 1 hour and still feels like nothing. I call office and they tell me to wait it out and take another 1/2 in 4 more hours! The craving is insane, but I try to fall asleep. I take the 1/2 when I am suppose to and lay down. 5 hours later I am awaked with the most horrible leg cramps.
Day 2 is horrible, they tell me to up amount to 4 - 1/2 tabs spread out through day. Craving bad, tired, anxious, sweaty, cant think.
Day 3 no better, call office and tell me to wait it out and at this point I flip out. I tell tehm I feel like I am gettingno guidance, no relief. I thought whole point of suboxone was to take so you dont feel sick, so you dont crave! On day 4 and still feel like garbage. When am I going to feel better? I dont understand why I am ot getting any relief. Im ready to toss in the towel....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey sorry to hear you are going through such a hard time right now. I have heard of this before that suboxone just does not work for some people no matter how much they take. But at the same time 16mgs is a pretty low dose to start someone out on I was started out on 32mgs the first week. But I would wait till you go back to the DR before you make any decisions on what to do next. If things continue to not work and things are really this bad you might want to check into a detox facility with 24 hour around the clock medical help. because this is not healthy for your body and you have 5 days free of opiates so that is a good thing and at this point do anything you have got to do to stay clean or at least go to the emergency room if things persists over the weekend.

But back to what I said I do know a few people who started suboxone to try and get clean and it did not work for them period and they had to switch to methadone but keep that as your last option because things might get better with SUB.

Post subject: Maybe too early
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:02 pm 

With Oxy's I'm pretty sure you have to be in w/d's for over 36 hours. Yes, go through hell for that long. At least that's what they told my brother and it was really hard. The Sub may have put you into premature w/d's. I'd call Here To Help and ask them. They may at least tell you who to call.

It just doesn't sound right. They should have induced you in the office and established the starting dose that day. It may take a few days to get the dose right but a lot of doctors error on the side of too much instead of too little. I was started on too much but cut down almost a week later so no damage done and I had no cravings.

Keep trying to find the answers.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:19 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Darling!

Welcome to the forum! I agree with Bboy, it sounds like maybe your just not taking a high enough dose.

Your prescribed 12mg/day, right? How much have you taken today, and how are you feeling RIGHT NOW?? Depending on those two things, I'd suggest possibly taking another dose.

And, I almost feel like tomorrow.....you should start off by taking at least 10mg, if not the entire 12mg (all at once).

It does take a few days-week for some people to adjust to this medication. But, you seem as though your still going through withdrawls.

Also, do you know how to take this medication correctly? Im only asking this, because some people talk while dosing, sleep with it in they're mouth, don't keep it in long enough, or eat/drink right after dosing. All of these things can effect your absorption. And if your NOT getting good absorption......you might be taking alot LESS medication than you think you are.

I would suggest contacting your doctor again, just to get his opinion about what you should do. He may need to increase your daily dosage....at least for now. Please continue to post and let us know how your doing. And whatever happens.....DO NOT GO BACK TO USING REGULAR OPIATES.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so sorry you're going through this and getting so frustrated. You're right in that your doctor should be giving you much more guidance and should have done the induction in his/her office. I also agree that you should be on a higher dose. As long as you're still having withdrawals, you should continue to take more. Most people start with 4-8 mg and if in about an hour or so they still have w/d, they take another few mg and see if that helps. It's normal to continue doing that every hour or so until the w/d go away.

Did your doctor give you enough sub for you to raise your dose at all? I hate to tell you to go against your doctor's orders, but you are suffering when you don't need to. I would try to reach your doctor again. If you find a dose that works for you, you could always tell him that. "Dr, I found that my w/d go away if I take 16 mg every day. can you prescribe me that dose?". (As an example.) I'm not sure what else to tell you to do.

I hope you find a dose that works for you. That's what I would do - look for the proper dose then ask the doctor to prescribe that amount. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Day 6
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Everyone -
Thank you so much for the encouragement and kind replies. Had a rough weekend. Doctor had me start the Suboxone last Tuesday so I could be monitered and watched in case any issues came up they could be handled before the weekend. Well of course they have yet to get me stabilized and I had an issue on Saturday and no one to reach. Doctor doesnt have answer service or on call, just vm, so that was rough.... I get so sleepy at about two hours after first dose. See, this morning I took 1/2 a tab and I cant keep my eyes open and its hard to concentrate. Have I had to much or not enough. I dont have any idea and I am beyond frustrated! I am going in at 10 this morning to see the doctor. I am so up in arms about this guy at this point. I want so badly to feel better, to be clean, to have some energy........

Post subject: dose
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

By the way the doctor started me at 1/2 tab 3 times a day and then 2 days later added another 1/2 tab - making 2 tabs total a day of 8mg/2mg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The best way to tell if you are still in withdrawals or not is to look at your pupils. If they are dilated, then that indicates you could still in withdrawals. I will also say this, if it's making you tired, it might be that the dose is too high. I'm sorry this is confusing. It's sort of hard to be specific just based on internet postings. How are you feeling otherwise since you last wrote? Are you still having cravings or leg pain? Or any other symptoms that you normally associate with opiate withdrawals? If not, and you're only experiencing tiredness, just know some people need a bit more time to stabilize than others. Hang in there and please let us know what your doctor says today and if he changes your dose. I really hope you feel better soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good Morning!
Saw the doctor yesterday. He is keeping me on 1/2 8mg tab 4 times a day. He gave me extra in case I need it. Also found out that apparently I was not taking the medication correctly. I would place under my tongue and generate enough saliva that it would break down and disolve quickly and then just swallow. Then drink coffee, soda, etc. Big No - No!
I am feeling a little better, but I am exhausted ALL the time. All I want to do is sleep and I cant.... How long does it take all the opoids to get out of my body? Anything I can do to speed up the process?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Are you taking suboxone for pain as well as addiction? If not, I'm not understanding why he's got you taking it 4 times a day. When do you take your latest dose? It might be that you're taking it too late in the day and it's causing you to have trouble sleeping. Most people who don't dose for pain take their sub only once per day, usually in the morning. This is to get us out of the habit of taking something when we "feel" we "need" to pop a pill. That's the thinking of addiction. We want to break that habit, so dosing once per day is sufficient, especially considering the long half-life (average 37 hours).

As for opiates leaving your system, well, as you know, suboxone is also an opiate, albeit a partial agonist, as compared to a full agonist, which is what "regular" opiates or pain pills are.

And hopefully now that you have the proper instructions for maximum absorption, hopefully that will help you get the most out of your dosage. Let us know if you have any other questions or need clarification on anything I've said.

Post subject: Dosing times
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Im kind of confused as to why he has me dosing so many times as well as just once or twice. I feel like I am in same routine as looking at clock waiting for time to take meds, used to be Oxy - now its the suboxone..... I told him I didnt want to be in a situation where every couple hours I start to fidget and get agitated cause its close to dosing time, but it was like in one ear - out the other.
I am not taking the meds for real pain. So I am taking a total of 1/2 tab of 8mg 4 times a day.

I am starting to feel better, although a little anxious. This could be due to a multitude of things. Does Suboxone alter your mood? Help with depression or anxiety?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, if you want to follow your doctor's dosing orders, then you could try to talk to him about it again. I'd tell him that with everything you've learned about having a healthy recovery, you feel it will be best for your recovery if he will allow you to dose once daily. Put that way, I can't see how he'd turn you down.

A lot of people experience an improvement in their depression when on suboxone, but not everyone. I'm still on my anti-depressant and have even had it increased since I've been on sub. And I've heard about a few people who said their anxiety got worse on sub. But just remember, everyone is different.

Good luck discussing it with your doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:22 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Opiates are great meds for just about all psych issues, problem is you build tolerance , the need for more and more. Also opiates mask just about any problems you have with your head... Please be patient with your Dr. no two people are alike. This addiction to pain pills is a real big deal, a lot tougher than anything I've ever been through, your about to learn about the ONLY legal way to treat opiate addiction with using meds... Hat is so right, dose once a day, dosing twice a day is a pain in the ass, I had a hell of a time going back to once a day... My brain LOVES its receptors full, what can I say, Good Luck to you, also our Grand Puba Dr. J writes alot about how we always feel to much, we think to much about not feeling good, God knows we DO NOT like to feel shitty, I always to this day work so hard to feel good, I'am one of those who must feel good, that full of energy feeling, Suboxone keeps the w/ds away but does not help me with overall happiness or energy.. I take 1mg once a day at about 730 at night, cant sleep without it, I still love the pills, tried the film for 5 months, the pills are so much faster to use, you chew up the pill real fine with your front teeth and paint the crushed Suboxone juice all over the inside of your mouth using your tongue as the paintbrush

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Small doses throughout the day does seem strange, if is opioid dependence treatment and not for pain, doesn't it? And the reaction to the first dose does sound like precipitated w/d. I waited an anxious 48+ hours between last dose of physeptone (basically methadone) and starting Subuxone at 16mg, took ages for it to dissolve because I had a Dr who was very specific about how to have it, went away, had headache etc that was getting worse by the hour, called the Dr's office, as per their instructions to do so if I was really still going into w/d, and had another 8mg, and it took a week, maybe less to feel normal. Seems to me you weren't given very good advice / protocol to follow. I was, by and large, and still had a hell of a time converting, but don't regret it for a minute. Mind you, that was well over a year ago, and it took a bit of tweaking. 32mg every two days - that's how long the half life is of sub is, now down to 14 every two days. Taken this fashion it isn't a goody for pain, I don't think. I have to deal with that another way, and not the point of this post / topic. I was scared I had a mistake for the first few days, I was sleepless, then overly sleepy, not sure what the hell was going on. If you can, just keep seeing the doc to get it right. My mood improved over the next few weeks as well. Hope you are doing OK and that this will work for you. God, by the time you read this everything could have changed. Hope your doc knows what he is doing. Yeah, no soda straight after probably. Everything under the tongue - even the bitter after taste, which I think is the artificial lemon, though other say it is the naltraxone. Otherwise you're ripping yourself off. GOOD FOR YOU for getting off the Oxy's, and friends -I knew her calm warm embrace as well, she took away my bone pain, and other pain I wasn't aware I even had. Of course, she tried to kill me, and just as we we were getting along so well too. We had a fight. I think she was seeing another man, or woman for that matter. The Doc and the moderators at this site know their stuff, and aren't afraid to say "What the hell...?" when an issue comes up they aren't sure of. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:22 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I agree, that its probably NOT the best idea to take small doses of Sub all throughout the day.......as this just mimics our behavior while in active addiction. But, some doctors don't follow the "once per day" dosing guidelines.

My Sub doctor (whom I've been seeing for close to two years) had me dosing three to four times/day! Actually, the prescription would read.......take 1/2-1 tab, three-four times/day. THATS ALOTTA DOSING!!

And, it was only until here recently that he changed my orders to twice/day dosing.

Personally, I feel better most days by dosing in the morning, AND then again after dinner. But, somedays.....especially here recently, I don't dose automatically AS SOON AS I GET UP. If I feel ok, (which is usually the case, because I still have so much Sub built up in my system)....I just wait until about 2-3pm to take my Sub. And this also helps me to feel like "Im not controlled by the Sub".

To the OP........I'd follow your doctors orders, but I'd also speak w/him about ANY concerns/problems your having. After you've stabilized, maybe you could decrease the amount of times you dose per day. Remember though, it takes AWHILE to undo all of our "bad habits", and to start learning new good habits. Don't be hard on yourself. Try to be patient......as it DOES take some peoiple days-weeks to adjust to this medicine, or to even find the right dose.

The most important thing, is that your NOT IN WITHDRAWL, and that YOUR CRAVINGS ARE KEPT AT BAY.
If you keep experiencing negative side effects....dosage adjustments....(from your doctor), might help you to feel better.
Good Luck! I hope your starting to feel better!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:58 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello Darling,
I too can feel your pain. I started yesterday on Suboxone...I was doing about 4grs of Heroin a day. Doc told me to wait until I was in withdrawl, the worse the better, before I took a 8mg strip. I was pretty sick (so I thouhgt!) but I guess not sick enough, because I got NO releif. I took another 8mg strip a bit later..nothing....tried to sleep, sicker than a dog all night, I woke up around 5am and actually felt OK....not as sick, but not great. I took another 8mg, then another!! Still feeling like crap, but not in full withdrawll. My mom is a counslor at a recovery center and she told me the doc should have given me enought strips to take at least 32mg a day for the first few days. Unfortunlay I only have enough for the week until I see him again. I want to take more to feel "normal" wondering if I'm doing the right thing starting this stuff. I too want to throw in the towel and just go get some H to feel better. But, I really dont want to do that either. I really dont So we can tough this shit out together and hope for some releif soon, I guess!!!
Take care!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi irish - I saw your thread in the Introductions section and responded to you there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That doctor sounds goofy. You do have to let the 8mill dissolve under your tongue for it to work correctly. Everybody's system of how they metabolize drugs is different. For example, I seem to be a small woman but I have to have doses that are much larger than what goes with my weight and height. They found that out in hospital after my masectomy. They gave me enough morphine to knock out an elephant and it didn't phase me. They finally gave me a larger shot and I was much better and on my way. Morphine and opiates make me chatty and speed up by the way, It effects me differently than normal people.
I don't know why you just don't dissolve 2-8mill at once? Anyhow, you will find your correct dosage. Suboxone worked on me immediately, the first time I took it. I was up to 120 mill of oxycotin a day after my surgeries and I started to panic and get afraid and I willingly put myself in addiction medicine before I did anything wrong. I could feel that I was addicted. Just knew it.